Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So toady as i was leaving for work (somewhat in a hurry) I managed to highside my bike. I'm a bit shaken up about it and I suffered what I believe might have been a minor concussion. I haven't ever had one, and I didn't go to the hospital so I'm not sure. I almost damn near broke my ankle and that's what hurts the most.

What Happened?

Well I was at a 4 way street, 2 way stop. It was around 60f outside and I was about a half mile from my residence. I was making the turn I've made 100s of times before and upon the exit of the turn, gave it more gas than I should have and the rear slid out and I flew over the bike.

Sorry It's night time now so these pictures might not be too good.
Auto part Engine Vehicle Metal Brake Auto part Vehicle Automotive exhaust Motorcycle accessories Automotive lighting Auto part Vehicle Motorcycle accessories Engine Motorcycle Vehicle Headlamp Automotive lighting Car Light Auto part Engine

The main damage is that the rear brake lever mount was bent and also SHEARED OFF completely. If anyone knows where I can find this part, it's all i need to get it working correctly. My rear brake is currently seized.

Pic of the Bars:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAA_A/c7CrdA5mXp8/s0/IMG_20140717_202536.jpg

Ill get some pics of my helmet later. Its probably going to have to be replaced I would imagine.

Thanks for the support and information guys.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Ahh man, I am so sorry. Glad you made it out ok...I got my bell wrung plenty playing football in high school...you'll be ok. I'm surprised the bike isn't worse off...give it a thorough inspection...make sure the forks aren't bent or anything.

Motorcyclegoodies carries all of the Oem parts. Were you wearing gear? So many accidents occur close to home...which is a vote for why even the short trips can't be taken for granted.

What a bummer...hope you feel better tomorrow...ice your ankle

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Sucks. Glad you're ok, but definitely see A DR tomorrow ASAP. Your head isn't something to mess with....better safe than sorry.

Feel better.

·
Registered
349 Posts
The Important thing is that you are ok... you can always get the bike fixed on the cheap but your body is for the lifetime... Seriously, get to a doctor tomorrow to check you out... Don't worry about the bike ( that is the easy fix).

Get well soon!!!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Dude if possible go to urgent care or something tonight. Seriously, don't sleep on it. Sleep is not good after concussions. It may just be nothing, but play it safe.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Good to hear you are up and about, but you really should play it safe and see a doctor. Head injuries may not manifest themselves right away.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Three times I banged up an ankle in a mc get off. I have walked away from all 3. The first two times I broke my ankle and did not find out about the first fracture for 6 months when I broke it again.

Concussions are a bitch. It is important to have a dr check you out to make sure you are ok.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Sorry about the bike, go see a doctor and when your bike is fixed, go take the MSF class, and when your done with that,take the advanced MSF class.....

Oh, and welcome to the forum...thats a hell of a first post.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Im guessing in the panic with more gas, when the rear slid, you closed the throttle immediately, leading to massive engine braking??

PS. is your ECU flashed?
Was my thought... Committing to more gas and just staying with it would have stood bike back up when it regained traction

But theres no time to think when poop is hitting fan alot of times... Glad you are okay, could have been alot worse.

Theres a saying "there are two types of riders, those who have dropped, and those who are going to drop", you got yours out of the way with alot less damage than it could have been.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I'm not the strictest about when to replace a helmet, but if it is possible you have a concussion then replace it. The part of a helmet that absorbs impact energy crushes and can't give you maximum protection again.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I'm not the strictest about when to replace a helmet, but if it is possible you have a concussion then replace it. The part of a helmet that absorbs impact energy crushes and can't give you maximum protection again.
Very true. No question that helmet is history, regardless of what it "looks" like now.

Glad you're ok.

·
Registered
570 Posts
If you had enough of an impact to even suspect you got a concussion, no matter how mild, you need to get medical attention NOW. You could have internal bleeding in the brain that could prove life-threatening; on another forum a member hit his head while ice skating, didn't think much of it and almost died from his brain injury, he still suffers from the permanent effects of waiting too long to seek medical help.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Glad you're relatively OK.

Sorry about the bike and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the concussion. I high sided my first bike. I hit hard enough to knock myself out and gouge chunks out of the helmet. I rode the bike home with a flat front tire and don't even remember riding home. I did the very thing they say not to do and when I got home went right to bed. I was disoriented and tired. Everything turned out fiifififine. Sure I drool a little bit and my ears ring when I use the microwave, but that's no bibibiig deal.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
I stay on the gas when the rear kicks out, but it is still not guaranteed to save it. That is one fear I had with the stock Dunlops, so I punted those tires at 1000 miles. I have had a couple of concussions from motocross and the symptoms are easy to identify. Nasea, vision problems, memory issues, etc. Not supposed to sleep until symptoms subside. Also, I always replaced my off-road helmets after every hit. The styrofoam collapses to absorb the impact and is rendered useless from that point forward.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts