Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Need some advice on wether to go for FZ-09 or left over FZ-08.

About me, I am 5'3" tall weighing 160 lbs. So needs a lot of lowering to do. I am looking for a bike not just for a weekend ride, but a weekday commuter with 20 miles one way in the busy NYC highways/parkways.

I will be getting my Liscence last week. But this I am no first timer. But would be first time in US.

I am from India, been in US for the past 8 yrs. I started riding bikes since I was 16.
My First was an Yamaha RX-100, which I bought in 1996 and was riding until 2002 and crashed it hard.
Then I moved to 'Royal Enfield' Bullet-350 a thumper and was riding until 2006, when I moved to US. Later in 2009 I had to go back to India for 8 months and was riding a 'Bajaj Pulsar 220' through the streets of Mumbai and later Chennai.

So I am not a total newbie. But I am not looking for a machine to do track timings either.

Last weekend visited a local dealer, who unfortunately had no FZ-09 on display had FZ-08 left-over.

Price quoted for 2013 FZ-08 was 6499 + Prep charges (350). so $6850 Plus taxes and tags. For FZ-09 it was $7650 Plus taxes and tags

I always loved the sound of a 4 Pot motor - after the demise of 2-strokers.Thats why never wanted to have a glance at SV650 or Versys.But I can compromise between FZ-08 & FZ-09 on the exhaust note.

Regards
TUsker

·
Registered
73 Posts
That's kind off where I was last June, so I think I might be able to shed some light onto your situation. The FZ08 is going to comparable to FZ09 in many ways, really the biggest difference is in power delivery. The Fz9 is going to be harder to manage because of its twitchy throttle response and instant torque and power delivery. The fz9 is much lighter though, and easier to maneuver in slow speed.
The fz8 is going to lack some of that instant power and will have more gradual power delivery. I can't really think of any disadvantage of the fz8, but I like my fz9 better cause its suites my riding style. I commute about 130 per week and about the same on weekends in the mountains. I really like the fz9 in the twisties. If it was just a commuter, I wouldnt care which bike.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
657 Posts
I was originally interesting in the FZ8. I test rode one ,and wasn't blown away by the power. Not bad, but not incredible. Then the FZ-09 came out. Little more upright, bigger motor, light weight. I was sold. The motor puts a grin on my face every time I turn the throttle. For streetability, the nice torque curve is great for street riding.

·
Registered
957 Posts
The FZ8 has slightly better (still only "okay" at best) suspension. FZ-09 is better in every way. By far. And it's a way more fun bike to ride, period. The FZ8 is basically a detuned (or rather, decreased engine size) FZ1 with more cut-rate suspension components and lack of a half fairing.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
FZ-09>FZ8 Can't go wrong with either. If money is your primary concern then get the fz8. If having fun is your main concern then FZ-09!

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
FZ09 is a much better bike than the FZ8 due to weight and power delivery.

That said, the FZ8 is not a bad bike at all. I would never buy one as they are the same size and weight as an FZ1 and have less power and torque so I would buy an FZ1 before an FZ8.

BTW, I highly recommend taking an MSF class before you get back on the road so you have your head in the right mindset before you get creamed out on the street.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Lol go on youtube and check out what riding a bike in India is like. If he has experience riding in that atmosphere, NYC should be like a walk in the park for him.
Here is an example:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I was in a similar dilemma last year- nearly same circumstances. I am from India, riding since 2002 on a Pulsar 150 (still have it back home with a friend) and then scraping pegs on a KTM Duke 200 which blows away any 250 in the any market (even the legendary RD felt a little sluggish in front of it). I was also looking at the FZ8 because of the price but it just wasn't in the same league that the KTM had placed me in. It was heavy, slow, unexciting. The FZ09 came at the right moment- otherwise I would have had to pay more for a Triumph Striple or a KTM SMT (nearly double!!).
This is a true UJM- that can be modified to do whatever you want it to do. The riding position is similar to the Pulsars- so it will be familiar. The fun factor (and ironically, practicality) is miles ahead of bikes in this price range and even your daily commute will have you grinning ear to ear.
If money is an issue, you will find better deals for the FZ8- but I would recommend a used SV instead. Spend the extra $$- this bike is a bike you would like to keep long term. I am sure you will get a good deal somewhere. Where in NYC are you located? Which dealer did you go to?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
FZ09 is a much better bike than the FZ8 due to weight and power delivery.

That said, the FZ8 is not a bad bike at all. I would never buy one as they are the same size and weight as an FZ1 and have less power and torque so I would buy an FZ1 before an FZ8.

BTW, I highly recommend taking an MSF class before you get back on the road so you have your head in the right mindset before you get creamed out on the street.
+1 on the MSF class- just good to know some basics again and learn from the mistakes that others make! I am looking forward to being able to take a Police motorcycle course when its available.

Lol go on youtube and check out what riding a bike in India is like. If he has experience riding in that atmosphere, NYC should be like a walk in the park for him.
Here is an example:
You are right Obijack. I am from India. NYC feels like home to me- the traffic, the crowds, the drivers, the roads...your senses are on high alert everywhere in India- even on highways where cows and dogs and trucks on wrong side etc can show up at any time. Comparatively, the States feels pretty boring on the highways especially and urban backroads are just plain annoying. However, in Delhi (where I lived for long) you have some of the best city roads I have seen- a few square miles of traffic free smooooooth roads and roundabouts near the embassies- where you can scrape pegs, get rid of chicken strips and learn to hone your "racing skills"- perfect place to make a city-based racetrack in India.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yup.. In Chennai streets, all I need is an inch on either side from the bar end weights. Many a times, you mark other cars with the bar-end.

I was in a similar dilemma last year- nearly same circumstances. I am from India, riding since 2002 on a Pulsar 150 (still have it back home with a friend) and then scraping pegs on a KTM Duke 200 which blows away any 250 in the any market (even the legendary RD felt a little sluggish in front of it). I was also looking at the FZ8 because of the price but it just wasn't in the same league that the KTM had placed me in. It was heavy, slow, unexciting. The FZ09 came at the right moment- otherwise I would have had to pay more for a Triumph Striple or a KTM SMT (nearly double!!).
This is a true UJM- that can be modified to do whatever you want it to do. The riding position is similar to the Pulsars- so it will be familiar. The fun factor (and ironically, practicality) is miles ahead of bikes in this price range and even your daily commute will have you grinning ear to ear.
If money is an issue, you will find better deals for the FZ8- but I would recommend a used SV instead. Spend the extra $$- this bike is a bike you would like to keep long term. I am sure you will get a good deal somewhere. Where in NYC are you located? Which dealer did you go to?
I was also looking for KTM Duke 390, but there is no news of it being launched here in US.
I went to ******'s Motorsports Group. New York's most trusted powersport dealer., here in Queens Village. But I am yet to visit other dealerships. A dealer in Albany, has one of the best prices. Last fall I get to go past them and paid a visit.with them the prices is as listed in their website. Street Bikes

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
If the 390 Duke comes, I am definitely getting it! Nothing can come close to the mini Dukes (or even the 690) in the city and it devours twisties for breakfast!
I got my bike from Prospect Powersports- you may have to bargainwith them but the main owner is Indo-Trinidadian and sympathetic to Indians...be nice and maybe you can get a good deal from them on the 09! I got it 8500 OTD at a time when the FZ09 was hot and very few were available in the market- their site says $6899 (before tax) so I am guessing they could offer a great bargain! They usually have the FZ8 lying around too and even had a 2012 Ninja 1000 going for nearly 6500!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts