Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who does clutchless shifts? Meaning full throttle, back off a hair and full throttle next gear up shifts. Is it damaging?
Faster than clutching and up shifting?
Curios minds wanna know.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I do it usually in 4th 5th & 6th always going up. And not even at full throttle just back off the throttle and shift. I will say that the FZ-09 transmission is not as smooth as most sportbikes! It's not a big deal you can shift in a car without using the clutch.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I could never quite get it. I kind of like using the clutch lever. Particular on the fz, I love the action. Way easier shifting vs my last bike.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I use the clutch unless I don't feel like it then I don't. If it's done right no harm.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Clutch! Yes or no?
Depends of what I want to do.
When I'm cruising, I use the clutch. Whem I'm in a ADHD mode I change gear without using the clutch.
When done right it works seamless. Just practice. When executed right you keep the front uder control without uncontroled movements.
Every movement in the bars will give a restless bike.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I do it every single shift! But I have a PC5 and quick shifter so I guess it doesn't count LOL.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
A long, long time ago, I had a bike with many false neutrals when upshifting. I discovered it never happened if I shifted without the clutch and got used to shifting that way. I've been doing it ever since, no matter how much or little throttle I'm using.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I personally have gotten used to only using the clutch for taking off from a dead stop/traffic/coming to a stop. Clutchless upshifting every gear.

I have found that with the FZ tranny, there are times when I don't need to let the throttle off at all (if only for a minute amount) to achieve a clutchless upshift.

My XR650R Sumo is even smoother, I never let off the power, it just slips right in... gear, that is.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Nearly all motorcycle transmissions have dog type syncro's.
This means the faster you engage the dogs, the less wear you have.
Clutching just takes the loads off the gears to some degree, but does not lessen wear, and the "slower" you engage the dogs, the more you wear them. (Unlike synchro type arrangements, where the taper/cones engage to smooth out the gear change, and wear is higher if you don't clutch every time.)

As long as the gears reach the same speed, they will engage, and with a dog, it's nearly instant when they are firmly engaged. The reason the bike makes a thunk when you engage first after sitting in neutral for a while is part of the gear set is still spinning when you engage first gear and the rapid stop when 1st gear dogs lock in and stop the spinning you get the "THUNK."

The reality is, one gear rack is "attached" to the rear wheel via the chain/sprockets. The other is "attached" to the crank via the clutch. Put it in neutral, and let out the clutch, and you just spin one of the racks at engine speed.
Pull in the clutch, and that rack is still spinning, while the "output" rack is not.
Now click down into 1st, and the spinning rack is stopped by the other rack/sprockets, and chain. (And THUNK!)
Let out the clutch, and it's going to multiply the tourqe at whatever ratio the gear set is designed for and the bike goes forward. ;)

As for what I do? I mostly don't use the clutch after I've started moving, just back off the throttle for a blink in conjunction with shifting to get it nice and smooth.
But I will use the clutch for downshifts nearly always, and at slow speeds to moderate this bike's not so smooth action while tooling around. (Soon to put Kevin's 02 sensor fooler to have closed loop running richer, so it should be smoother, and need less clutch work in theory.)

·
Registered
343 Posts
I never used the clutch on my LTR450 except when stopping. Bikes I've always done it though. I'm not fast and furious where I need to shave a half second off my shift time to get to work faster.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I do it every single shift! But I have a PC5 and quick shifter so I guess it doesn't count LOL.
how do you like it? is it pretty smooth?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts