Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys been lurking here for a while & just got the heads up that DNA filters are releasing their high flow air filter for the MT-09 today.

I play with quite a few bikes & have my sights on the MT-09 where I already have an O2 controller to control the closed loop mapping in testing.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
HP=(CFM X 1.6) X 0.9

151 CFM = 218HP
194 CFM = 279HP

Just like I mentioned in another post before. The air filter is much bigger than needed so no hp gain in doing so. But I will get one for the convenience of cleaning it and reusing it.

Thanks. Do you have any link to order it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Will this fix my twitchy throttle?

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
I seriously doubt it will improve the twitchy throttle, actually from the rider seat none of us will feel the deference. But the fuel controller will! :)

I have 5 on the way today... 2 maybe 3 sold. I will have more available early January.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
HP=(CFM X 1.6) X 0.9

151 CFM = 218HP
194 CFM = 279HP

Just like I mentioned in another post before. The air filter is much bigger than needed so no hp gain in doing so. But I will get one for the convenience of cleaning it and reusing it.

I also have one on the way.

I would agree the gains will be small, it is all about how the air flows through the filter across the rpm range, DNA have tested peak flow rates in their graph, the Dyno will show the gains across the rev range, at least as mentioned the filter is serviceable with a bigger surface filtered area than the STD paper filter, gains may also be had from air speed through the air box I will be doing some before & after runs to see what the gains are when I can get my hands on the filter.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
HP=(CFM X 1.6) X 0.9

151 CFM = 218HP
194 CFM = 279HP

So what your saying is, this filter will allow my engine to suck faster?

Reactions: ktk_ace and marthy

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
We fitted the DNA filter & removed the snorkel this weekend.

STD filter left DNA filter right

Snorkel removed

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks mate just correct it, how does it feel with the new filter?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not to bad. It has taken a lot of the snatchy throttle away, which i love. Went for a ride today, and all went well, i was able to ride the twisties in A mode alot easier. Now for dyno run for fine tuning.:D

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Ah well... need to order one now. Did you find the snorkel did a difference? I haven't got into the airbox but yet... now that the suspension is all sort out I might give it a shot. I need to install my block off plates anyway this week.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Snorkel removal was probably MUCH more responsible for any differences than the filter....

·
Registered
176 Posts
One advantage i can think off is that if it gets clogged VS the OEM one, there will still be more airflow... just my 2c

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
A motor is like a big pump & a basic rule is any restriction in or out will slow the air speed down, every time we bend the air in or out it will slow the throttle response, removing the MT-09's snorkel removes a 90 degree bend in the intake & should show better acceleration results, we can measure this on the Dyno using HP over Time which I will do in due time. I would not expect much peak HP gains with these mods but better acceleration times was the objective. Normally I would use a digital vacuum gauge both side of the filter to measure the vacuum from the air box restrictions, then carry out the mods & remeasure.

The MT-09 DNA air filter will out flow the motors requirements, what it also offers is less restriction compared to the standard filter with bigger pleats & surface area, a filter that can be serviced regularly & reused many times.

There is still more work to be done on this air box.

Snorkel on

Snorkel off.

·
Registered
176 Posts
A motor is like a big pump & a basic rule is any restriction in or out will slow the air speed down, every time we bend the air in or out it will slow the throttle response, removing the MT-09's snorkel removes a 90 degree bend in the intake & should show better acceleration results, we can measure this on the Dyno using HP over Time which I will do in due time. I would not expect much peak HP gains with these mods but better acceleration times was the objective. Normally I would use a digital vacuum gauge both side of the filter to measure the vacuum from the air box restrictions, then carry out the mods & remeasure.

The MT-09 DNA air filter will out flow the motors requirements, what it also offers is less restriction compared to the standard filter with bigger pleats & surface area, a filter that can be serviced regularly & reused many times.

There is still more work to be done on this air box.

Snorkel on

Snorkel off.
Very professional explaination IMHO :happy11:

PS> will a big aluminium net over the opening block big ticket itms (like leaves and twigs) from getting inside or is it redundant/more problems than as is?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No need the intake in the air box lid is covered by a defector & the roof of the tank.

Reactions: ktk_ace
1 - 20 of 52 Posts