Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to make up my mind what tires to go with.

Been reading good things about the Metzler Z-8.

Anyone got any experience with these?

Also looking at the Michelin PR4's.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
LOL... here we go again! :)

Personally I would not buy Metzeler any more. AFAIK all of their production is in China now, not Germany. Last year I installed a Sportec M3 for a friend of mine, and it was out of China. The inside edge of the tire wasn't properly formed, and I nearly cut my hand on the edges of cords. It scratched the rim going on!

Take the Pirelli equivalent if you're considering Metzeler. I've used the Pirelli Angel ST (now it's the GT) before and it's a great tire. Lasts a long time and works very well in all conditions.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Trying to make up my mind what tires to go with.

Been reading good things about the Metzler Z-8.

Anyone got any experience with these?

Also looking at the Michelin PR4's.
Dunlop Q3's - end of discussion.

$240 from any online distributor AND Dunlop has a promo on right now where you get a $40 pre-paid VISA card with every set of tires you buy.

All that, AND they are hands down the best street/track day tire on the market right now.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Q3's are fantastic, but he's asking about sport touring tires. Presumably he wants a bit more longevity.

Dunlop Roadsmart 2 is a good tire also. A friend of mine has used them and really liked them a lot.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
No commuting just fun riding.

Been running PR2's for the last 5 years with good results. Averaging 5000 miles on a set.

I don't do track riding but love the twisties. I realize that some tires have super grip but wear out in 1500 miles. That is not what I am looking for.

Just looking for a good replacement for the PR2's.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Agreed.

I love Metzeler tires and have never had a problem with one :dontknow:
Now I can't tell if you're just stirring it up. ;)

Yeah, I was shocked. The last Metzeler's I handled, within the last two years, were not like that one last summer. Maybe only certain models are manufactured in China, or maybe they manufacture in Germany and China, I don't know... unfortunately that was enough to put them on my blacklist.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Now I can't tell if you're just stirring it up. ;)

Yeah, I was shocked. The last Metzeler's I handled, within the last two years, were not like that one last summer.

Maybe only certain models are manufactured in China, or maybe they manufacture in Germany and China, I don't know..

. unfortunately that was enough to put them on my blacklist.
I'll have to take a closer look at mine.

I run Metzler Racetecs , K 1 on the front and K 2 on the rear for the twisties, mostly.

I have them on FZ # 1 and Bridgestone 003' s on # 2.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've been very happy first with Michelin Macadam's on my Hawk GT, then PR2's, and last year PR3's that I used on my first track day. They did quite well, but then I didn't lean to the point of scraping anything. That said, I'll be taking the FZ to Sears Point in a month and will be going with Michelin Pilot Power 3's, just for a bit of added mental confidence.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
If you aren't commuting, then the pilot road 4s aren't necessary. Great in the rain, great in The dry and great in the twisties. Now for the reason they are too much: they cost a lot, have a hard compound in the middle, and a medium softness on the outside thirds. I haven't had any slippage on them and I scraped my foot pegs during my ARC course. They are good for high miles though 20% more than life than the PR3s but they aren't shaped for corners and fast turning.

The Pilot powers are similar but they are medium in the middle and soft on the sides, better build up in the middle for a sharper less rounded profile for quicker turn ins. They are also very good for wet roads, just without the sipes(sypes?) that the pilot roads have. I recommend the PPs for your purposes, nut if you turn it into a commuter then the roads are the way to go.

My 2 cents. The roads are excellent on the 09 though.

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
I really like the Q3's that I put on the FZ09 when I bought it (2 miles when changed out), but with the bad winter stuff we've had down here, I've still only got 1000 miles or so on the bike.....so I have no idea how long they will last. Hopefully the edges will be long gone before the center area.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I really like the Q3's that I put on the FZ09 when I bought it (2 miles when changed out), but with the bad winter stuff we've had down here, I've still only got 1000 miles or so on the bike.....so I have no idea how long they will last. Hopefully the edges will be long gone before the center area.
What was on your bike new? Why didn't you burn them up first? Q2's or S20's are great tires too.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I was running pirelli angels on my r6, and is what will be on my miners when the stockers wear out... BTW I run the gt and not the st.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
The PR4's are more expensive. Let's do the math. I can use one PR4 in stead of three sport tires on the back and two on the front. . Wheelies and road trips toast a sport tire in a hurry for me. Advantage PR4.

Turn in taking more effort is okay with me. The FZ falls into turns too easily. The Bridgestone BT021 had a terrible turn in compared to the Michelin to me. They turn in better than the super soft Bridgestone BT012 sport tire that was the standard on my Superbike twelve years ago. Advantage PR4.

I don't commute much at all, and I consider myself competent in the twisties. Six years ago I would have never considered a Sport Tour tire, now it makes much more sense to me due to the technology advances.

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
What was on your bike new? Why didn't you burn them up first? Q2's or S20's are great tires too.
S20s were on the bike new. I had no idea which tire would be on the bike, since I bought the tires a month before getting the bike. The s20s are suppose to be a good tire, but the Q3's were suppose to be even better. Where I live/ride, stick is much more important that long mileage....it's just one of the things I have to deal with.......get it........Deals Gap with!

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Vern, if you were to pair a Dunlop Q3 front with a dual compound rear tire what would you pick? A rear with similar cornering grip as the Q3, firmer center.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Michelin is all I've ever liked and I've burned up a lot of tires. So in my book Michelin's are #1. And I feel very lucky that my FZ-09 didn't come with Dunlop's. I've always liked the Bridgestone's that I've gotten that were stock tires on bikes, but when they were gone Michelin.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts