Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. I am undecided as to whether I will go for a sport touring tire, such as the Michelin PR series, or a more sport-focused tire, such as the Michelin PP series. Would like some help deciding which would be better for my situations:

Mostly urban commuting (on roads that are in relatively poor condition) with some weekend mountain road riding and the OCCASIONAL (by occasional I mean twice a year, at most), along with the occasional (again, 2-3x a year at most) track day, running in the beginner group. Ran PP3 on my old ZX6R and loved them.

2. Despite being on my third bike, I've never bothered learning how to do a wheelie. It was simply something I never cared enough to practice or learn how to do because it wasn't a part of the riding experience I wanted. The FZ is bringing out a hooligan side of me that I never knew existed before though back when I owned more focused bikes, and now I'd like to learn. Is the FZ "too much" to start learning & practicing proper technique for it? Any tutorials on how exactly to go about it, if so?

·
Registered
96 Posts
1. Both the PP3's and PR3's are great tires. I love both of them. I think the PP4's are out now.

2. Just be gentle and take your time pushing it till you are comfortable. I would try and learn clutch ups. Clutch ups are the easiest to perfect. Doing small Power wheelies isn't bad but I wouldn't get a power wheelie to the balance point.
Also keep your foot on the rear brake. It will save you. Everything you do on a motorcycle can be dangerous so just manage your risk and don't try to learn wheelies at idle speed or something without a crash cage.

·
Registered
365 Posts
As far as whellie's go, I disagree with clutching up learning, if you dont know the balance point yet or the feeling of it coming up, dropping the clutch will be a fast way to the pavement. Start with power wheelies untill your comfortable with the feeling then gradually start clutching and riding them farther

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
As far as whellie's go, I disagree with clutching up learning, if you dont know the balance point yet or the feeling of it coming up, dropping the clutch will be a fast way to the pavement. Start with power wheelies untill your comfortable with the feeling then gradually start clutching and riding them farther
What he said, because the FZ power wheelies so easy, you dont have to be aggressive to get a feel for it. Find a parking lot and just practice more and more rapid acceleration, take it slow...get little hops. Also, you can try briefly letting of the throttle to bounce the forks, and give it some more, it comes up even more easily. I wheelie alot, but I never try to get to the balance point, I find brief power wheelies to be plenty of fun for my needs...I probably back off at about 45 degrees of lift.

And keep your rear brake covered just in case

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Power wheelies are the easiest to do, take it slow like Lehighluke said in a controlled environment. I usually do small ones while I'm accelerating hard, just high enough to get the wheel off the ground. If you wanna go higher go slow in a parking lot on warmed up tires and just hit the throttle and you will go right up, but you will probably have some hard landings. If you do the clutch technique you will want to be going faster like 25-30 mph in 2nd then pull in the clutch rev it hard and drop the clutch all within a split second and your wheel will come right up. Cover the back brake and the clutch in case it gets out of hand, always cover the clutch to prevent a hard landing and a whiskey throttle episode. It takes a lot of practice. Ride safe!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Urban Dictionary: whiskey throttle

Yes, I had to look it up. Urban Dic is for more than just pervy stuff lol.

I vote for power wheelies and not even attempting a balance point wheelie, it is a specialized skill and and a goof is too painful/expensive.
It's more fun to watch videos on YouTube about it. But yeah balancing isn't good when you go too far, these bikes are designed for 2 wheels on the ground.

Or on MTV.com

http://www.mtv.tv/shows/ridiculousn.../video/pastrana-bees-whiskey-throttle-729915/

·
Registered
657 Posts
2. Despite being on my third bike, I've never bothered learning how to do a wheelie. It was simply something I never cared enough to practice or learn how to do because it wasn't a part of the riding experience I wanted. The FZ is bringing out a hooligan side of me that I never knew existed before though back when I owned more focused bikes, and now I'd like to learn. Is the FZ "too much" to start learning & practicing proper technique for it? Any tutorials on how exactly to go about it, if so?
After reading this, I've realized why they slope the seat forward on the 09. It's to make for a better seating position when up on one wheel. Yamaha knew this was going to be a wheelie machine, so they must have made the sloped seat on purpose for that reason. :p

Reactions: DNFDOUG

·
Registered
156 Posts
Careful man. Wheelies are big fun but be careful. You are moving to the dark side.
agreed, i put 10 years into stuntriding, made some $ did a ton of shows however the injuries sustained throughout the years that i feel now didnt make it worth it at all. i had to pass on my dream job due to a spinal injury from an endo mishap. I'll never stunt again and would do anything to have the decision over.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I have to chuckle reading this thread. Reminds me of treads on oil....everybody has an opinion. Now it's my turn to pontificate.

I grew up on dirt bikes. Used to race both amateur and pro. I used to be the wheelie king when I was young and I still love to loft the front end, but at 61 years old I never take it to the balance point any more. It's just not worth taking a chance. Bikes and bodies are expensive to fix.

Whatever you do keep it in your comfort zone. The goal is to have fun without hurting yourself or your bike. You don't have to be able to wheelie for a country mile to have fun. If you can get the front wheel off the ground a foot or two and it makes smile that's probably all you need.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts