Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there is a set of tires chained to a telephone pole...

I assume the guy is trying to sell them (as he was also attempting to sell his FZ6). I am tempted to buy and save for my first track outing. Is this a good or terrible idea? What types of things should I look for in a set of tires that are used?

They are on my normal cycling route, so maybe today I will stop and grab a few pics...

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
i'd be nervous about dry rot / how long they've just been sitting. I'd be looking for cracks in the rubber etc. Kind of odd to chain some tires up to a poll without a for sale sign?

Hopefully it's not to lure you into his house where you in turn become the tires chained to a beam in his basement - Pulp Fiction style :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'd be nervous about dry rot / how long they've just been sitting. I'd be looking for cracks in the rubber etc. Kind of odd to chain some tires up to a poll without a for sale sign?

Hopefully it's not to lure you into his house where you in turn become the tires chained to a beam in his basement - Pulp Fiction style :)
I vaguely recall seeing a for sale sign up there. I was definitely planning to check it out for rot and such. I had an idea that it might be a way to cut down on the wear and cost of doing a track day. (I ride by them and the for sale FZ6 at least 4 times a week, problem is its in the middle of a Strava segment so I am reluctant to stop.. )

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Check the manufacture date on the sidewall. As a tire ages the rubber hardens, so even if there's no visible dry rot they can still be past their prime and less than ideal for a track day. Storing them outside is the worst possible place to store them.

Honestly, tires are not the area where you want to try and save money when planning a track day.

Also, they could have a puncture that you're not going to know about until you mount them.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Check the manufacture date on the sidewall. As a tire ages the rubber hardens, so even if there's no visible dry rot they can still be past their prime and less than ideal for a track day. Storing them outside is the worst possible place to store them.

Honestly, tires are not the area where you want to try and save money when planning a track day.

Also, they could have a puncture that you're not going to know about until you mount them.
You convinced me, I will keep riding by!. Haha

(Also LD, I got a chance to take the whole throttle assembly apart and figured out that there is indeed a piece of Y-shaped plastic with a bump in the FZ6 throttle that your old piece seems to be missing (its easily removable so yours isn't broken). So, now I am on the hunt for just the one sub-part I am hoping to find one out there. I am stopping the local dealership today to see if they can get me just that piece, not the entire thing)

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
(Also LD, I got a chance to take the whole throttle assembly apart and figured out that there is indeed a piece of Y-shaped plastic with a bump in the FZ6 throttle that your old piece seems to be missing (its easily removable so yours isn't broken). So, now I am on the hunt for just the one sub-part I am hoping to find one out there. I am stopping the local dealership today to see if they can get me just that piece, not the entire thing)
The parts diagram doesn't show that piece as available by itself, so I would be surprised if they can get one... but you never know and it doesn't hurt to ask.

Used one on eBay maybe?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The parts diagram doesn't show that piece as available by itself, so I would be surprised if they can get one... but you never know and it doesn't hurt to ask.

Used one on eBay maybe?
Yea I looked on ebay, might be able to work something out. I saw a used assembly there for like 50 and it looked like crap, so I laughed it off... I have to goto the dealer to complain about my CCT anyway. Doesn't hurt to ask..

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
one for $39.99

Can't tell in the pic if the piece you need is included or not, but you could confirm with the seller....

Don't get too hung up on the looks of the switch, all you need is that little Y piece which isn't really visible and you can continue to use your original assembly.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I don't know how fast your riding is, but in general you don't need special tires for your first track day, sport-touring tires will get you started. Wear will be quicker than on the street but not dramatically. The biggest potential issue with using your street tires is passing tech inspection, find out exactly what the track day organization you will be riding with requires for tread depth etc. Your rear tire might have 1,000 street miles left on it but tech won't approve it for a 150 mile track day etc, and then if there isn't a tire vendor at the track you are screwed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts