Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What have you found to be your best set-up....???

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I've run a lot of different pressures - I've been running 36r/34f and that seems to be doing OK. Haven't notice a big difference except for the factory Yamaha recommendations were way too high

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have been running 32f 34r on stock Bridgestone s20s (which are perfectly adequate by the way). This will differ somewhat with rider weight, tire brands and riding style. There is no 'right' answer on tire pressure. Except what Beck said, the recommended pressures are way too high.

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
30/30 cold pressure......Q3 on the front (till I wear it out) and a Michelin Pilot Power III on the back. The Power III now has about 750 miles on it and it's looking good and seems to stick pretty well.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I've heard that the bike manufacturers call for high pressure to protect wheels and tires when hitting sharp edged potholes. Tire manufacturers often recommend lower pressures for track use where you won't find potholes.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
It's highly debated- but manufacturers like Michelin (for my PR4s) recommend following the motorcycle maker's recommendations- which is 36/42. I also run 34/40. both work fine. 36/42 on stock Dunlops worked perfectly till I replaced them. Unless on the track or off-roading, I have not see any advantage of lower pressure for my daily needs- never felt like I lost traction, wet or dry, cold or hot.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Still trying to find an accurate gauge, but currently running low to mid 30's on stock Bridgstone SR's

I did pick up a pair of these recently, they'll be going on with my next set of tires.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Still trying to find an accurate gauge, but currently running low to mid 30's on stock Bridgstone SR's

I did pick up a pair of these recently, they'll be going on with my next set of tires.

How much are you willing to spend? I use one of these at work and have found it to be the most accurate gauge/inflator i've owned. Its been tested accurate to 0.01 psi. I have one at home too for the bike, but changed the tip out for a small right angle tip. Obviously you'll need an air compressor to use it. Best part is you don't have to fill your tire, remove air chuck, check tire pressure, reinstall air chuck and fill tire some more. You just hold it on and tap the trigger until you reach the desired pressure. Half tap the trigger and you release air pressure. Really a joy to use.

Amazon.com: Astro Pneumatic 3018 3-1/2-Inch Digital Tire Inflator with Hose: Home Improvement

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
PR4's and 30/30.

The PR4's feel great but the rear with it's harder compound in the center spins fairly easy on certain types of surfaces. Even when hot.

I usually wear out the sides first so a harder center is really not needed.

May go Pilot power 3 or Pilot Road 3 next time.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts