Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a bit of a problem keeping tires on this bike, I've changed the rear shock and it is set for my weight. And I will admit I'm a little ham handed and love to do wheelies, but a Pirelli angel gt is only lasting me about 3k miles. I could get at least 5400 out of that tire on my gsxr 750, wheelies and all. Anybody else having a similar issue? I check tire pressure every time I ride, front 36 rear 38. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Sounds normal to me. This bike eats tires, especially if you ride like a hooligan. Maybe try a PR4 but beware of the hard compound in the center.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I'm having a bit of a problem keeping tires on this bike, I've changed the rear shock and it is set for my weight. And I will admit I'm a little ham handed and love to do wheelies, but a Pirelli angel gt is only lasting me about 3k miles. I could get at least 5400 out of that tire on my gsxr 750, wheelies and all. Anybody else having a similar issue? I check tire pressure every time I ride, front 36 rear 38. Any advice would be appreciated.
i have the same tire , 2k on it very little wear . and i ride up stock tire gone at 2300

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
youre not getting the same low end torque on a gixxer that you are on this bike - as others have said - if you ride it hard - the tires will follow.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The stock dunlops lasted me about 1500 miles, the first Pirelli lasted around 2k. I'm just shocked at how fast these tires are wearing, considering it is much lighter than my 750 was. I may try the pr4.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
i thought the angel GTs were a much harder compound (and comparable to PP4s) than say a Pilot Power 3 or Dunlop Q3?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
The stock dunlops lasted me about 1500 miles, the first Pirelli lasted around 2k. I'm just shocked at how fast these tires are wearing, considering it is much lighter than my 750 was. I may try the pr4.
It's torque that eats tires, not necessarily weight. My 450 motard weighs 219 dry but I'll be lucky if I get 2k on the rear.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I was able to squeak 3k out of the stock Bridgestone s20 rear tire, but we did a bunch of slower group rides too. I am trying out a Shinko Raven rear right now and after that we need to use the Avon sport touring tires sitting in my garage. I am guessing the Raven rear tire should get 5-6k miles, that is what I get with one on the Dorsoduro 750.

Weight distribution may also play a good part in tire wear. My Ninja 500 with an Avon rear would get over 6k riding alone but when Cecil started riding me I was barely getting 5k out of them. The extra 40 lbs directly over the rear tire appeared to reduce the tire lifespan by about 20%.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Change your gearing for more top end !

·
Registered
673 Posts
I'm running Q3s.. Awesome! My rear is toast and I got a solid 4000 miles out of it.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
My Q3 rear made it to 2700 miles before it was toast. I have to say though, it stuck very well in the corners, even driving out of them hard on the throttle.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'm the same way and I'm really trying to use the whole tire, but I can't keep up with the middle wear. It doesn't help that I have crappy roads around me that you would have to do 100 mph to get a decent lean angle. They all have pot holes that are a few ft deep lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts