Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my three pay month happens to coincide with needing tires... for both bikes. No upgrades this time (next time Nick!). Funny thing is, both the 500 Ninja and the FZ09 are exhibiting the same wear pattern (middle shoulder worn front, outer trailing edge rear wear)... and I'm betting it stems from under-damping... and my riding style. With another three pay month 6 months away, and the remainder of the season in play and now with new tires... what to do?

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Pics would help.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I too use the three payday months to catch up on " unforeseen costs " . I'm lucky because the wife's payday is opposite mine so we get a check every week and more three payday months. I didn't used to check it as much but have you checked the alignment of the tires? I have been using a long stick of aluminum against the rear tire to see how the front lines up. I've heard you can even use a string. My bikes have been OK but my buddy has an FJ that was way off and he had just gotten the tires replaced. I used to think as long as the tire looked even in the swingarm it was good but this method tells you how it lines up with the front which seems better to me.

·
Registered
187 Posts
suspension set up properly? that's odd. do you sit funky on the bike? pics would help. do you have a tire guy around there to take a look at it?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was too late to grab pics of the 500's old tires, but the wear pattern is very similar to the 09. Sorry for the crappy pic of the front, but you can see the center is still round, but there is a dip or channel in the profile about an inch off center. On the back, there is the usual flat center, but from center to edge of the profile, the leading edge goes from sharp to rounded... and the trailing edge goes from rounded to sharp.
s20front.jpg s20rear.jpg

·
Registered
190 Posts
I never get why people make a big deal over 3 pay periods in a month. You are still getting payed every two weeks, its not like you have a free paycheck for that month.
If someone has there budget for fixed expenses figured out over a standard month it absolutely makes a difference. If your allocating X amount of money from each pay period to cover your living expenses based on 2 paydays a month that 3rd payday for all your fixed expenses is added money that is not already budgeted somewhere. I'm paid twice a month so I don't have those 3rd paydays but I can see how it would be extra unallocated money twice a year for those who budget that way.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I never get why people make a big deal over 3 pay periods in a month. You are still getting payed every two weeks, its not like you have a free paycheck for that month.
When you are paid bi-weekly, you get used to two paychecks being your usual monthly income. When you have a third paycheck in one month, that money is not usually reserved for bills because they've already been paid by the other two paychecks. It is basically a bonus every few months.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Because people pay bills on a monthly basis... If you pay credit card and car payment/insurance one payday, then rent on another payday for the following month's bills... If you get a 3rd payday in a month.. It will put you a month ahead on whatever set of bills you use it for.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think my tire issues come down to poor suspension for my riding style and weight... and the third pay a month, when you get it, is like winning the lottery... simply extra money to do with what you see fit. In this case, not putting new tires on credit!

·
Registered
62 Posts
if those are S20's keep in mind they're known for wearing in an odd manner on the front. I've had two sets of 20's and BT016's over the past few years on various bikes and they all wear badly on the front compared to other tires I've ran. The front triangulates pretty quickly with flat center. The rear wears uniformly though. I've always had my suspension setup at a reputable shop so I know the suspension is spot on.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
You have to experiment with different PSI, pre-load and rebound.

I'm about 220 geared up, when I hit the twisties I set my stock suspension to max pre-load and rebound and used to run about 38-40 PSI on the S20s.

The wear was not good, so I slowly started backing off the PSI and most recently started with 30 psi cold. The tire wear cleaned up nicely but the ride got bumpier, so then I had to back off the rebound. Slowly but surely through trial and error I will find a sweet spot in the setup. A good experience before I swap out the whole suspension and tires and have to start all over.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts