Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I 'm wondering if you guys have any experience riding your bike during winter where temperature drops below 0°C?

I have the Yamaha mt 09 and ride tarmac all winter long. I run the tkc80 with steel studs and I think it works ok. But I am looking for something else to run at the rear, the front tire has a softer compound than the rear and is more predictable with less stepping out.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle brake Alloy wheel Helmet

Looking at the bridgestone battlax ax41. Anyone got experience of that tire in winter conditions?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2019 FZ-09
149 Posts
... the front tire has a softer compound than the rear and is more predictable with less stepping out.
Is the front also a knobby tire? I don't ride in those temps, but your rear looks like an off-road tire to me. Does your front also have metal studs + softer compound?
In normal temperatures, a knobby doesn't grip as well on the street (you mention "tarmac").

Off topic, but I would ride a more disposable bike in that season. Due to likely to drop it, and salt etc. on the road. Actually I would be in a heated beater car or truck, but that's just me. Something that can rust out or participate in "destruction derby"

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The front is also a tkc80 with steel studs.
Photograph White Automotive tire Light Blue

It behaves quite different to the rear tire due to softer compound and beeing a narrower tire (120 to 180 witdht). I guess the relative grip level of the front and rear better suites warmer conditions.

Been riding this setup the past two winters - the bike is fine and no accident yet. There is no rust to mention and the bike holdes up just fine. WD40 is a friend of mine now.

Anyhow, looking for a softer rear and maybe someone has som experience to share.

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
I've just realised how soft and weak I've become

Reactions: Budo

·
Registered
611 Posts
Man, I've been in pickups with studded tires that would skid around if they found a bare patch of road. But you've been doing it for two years, so it obviously works.

Cold temps don't bother me but I park the street bike when ice falls. I do have a set of spiked tires for the dirt bike.

BTW, how effective is the extender on your rear tire hugger? That's not a bad idea

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Man, I've been in pickups with studded tires that would skid around if they found a bare patch of road. But you've been doing it for two years, so it obviously works.

Cold temps don't bother me but I park the street bike when ice falls. I do have a set of spiked tires for the dirt bike.

BTW, how effective is the extender on your rear tire hugger? That's not a bad idea
It helps keep the rear shock clean to some extent. Could recommend combine it with some ductape between the swing arm and the hugger. A splash guard is a must when riding winter with nobby tires, with a tail tidy there is not much that prevent snow and water from soaking your back.

Always hard to pick the right amount of studs for each tire. If the tarmac is dry a tire with no studs has more grip no matter how cold it is, a lot of skidding on the studs. But if its wet and icy it gives you confidence once you learn how to react to the difference in behavior with studs. Its a bit like riding on a gravel road.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I used to use 1/4" hex head screws, into the knobs from the outside. Nothing new for certain. Provided outstanding traction on compacted snow and ice.
Better traction than on an oiled or chloride packed dirt road with "normal tires"

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are those studs pop rivets?

I had a tire company install the studs, I think they used 11mm with tre flanges on the rear tire, and 10mm with one flange for the front. No glue.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Sent an e-mail to the european distributor asking about the performance of the tires in Nordic winter conditions and got the following reply:

"Many thanks for your email, and interest in Anlas.

Unfortunately we are just their UK importer so I would suggest you contact the manufacturer directly at www.anlas.com as they may have performance data specific to the Nordics.

Kind Regards"

Contacted Anlas and awating reply. Would be nice to run a tire without studs😀.

@moderator
Maybe this thread belong in "Wheel and tires"? Was my first post here so didn't look enough before posting.

/Thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts