Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Michelin Pilot Road 3's (aka PR3's) seem to be loved by just about everybody.
You are correct. I peeled off a perfectly good set of stock Bridgestones off my FJR and put on PR3's. What a difference. It rides like a different bike. Stable over tar snakes and gravel. Last summer I rode down to Deals Gap. On the way home I encountered heavy rain in Knoxville. The puddles on the freeway were so deep the wash off my front tire knocked my feet off the pegs. The bike didn't flinch.

However I am putting the sporty versions of these on my FZ-09: The Pilot Power 3's. In fact I just ordered them tonight.

·
Registered
671 Posts
How do the roads compare to the powers, in longevity, water and what not. I can read about them all I want, but firsthand experience is best. Sounds like either will work great for me! Thanks guys!
I'll find out when I ride in them. If they are anything like the PR3's, which I expect, all will be good.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Actually the Dunlop D14's may be made to Kawasaki's specs.

2013 Kawasaki Z800 review - Page 2 - Road Tests: First Rides - Visordown

Almost 6 months before the FZ-09 went on sale.

Personally, I found these tires to be wickedly slippery in cold weather. It's like riding on ice. First thing in Spring these puppies will be peeled off and a set of Michelin Pilot Power 3's will be in their place. If you want to buy a nice set of D14's with less than 300 miles at a cheap price - PM me. We can make a good deal.

·
Registered
671 Posts
DNF, I'm in your camp on this tire issue, ride the stocks until nubs. Realize their limits, stick within the limits, and in the mean time enjoy the power slides and brake slides. OH, and newbies, ride a dirtbike, in the dirt to really learn a motorcycles capabilities.
I intend to ride my FZ-09 to work. I started out on a dirt bike on my grandparents farm when Lyndon Johnson was the President. I've had bikes most of my life. I love the FZ-09 but no longer trust the tires. I will swap them for Michelins. I don't want to power slide. I don't want to do break slides. I don't want to try and impress people with wheelies or stoppies. I want to get where I'm going and to return in one piece. I've outgrown motorcycle foolishness. But I haven't outgrown my desire for yearly cross country trips. You dance to modern music. I prefer Mozart.

To each our own.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts