Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have the stock dunlops, but am already looking ahead to new tires. The only other street motorcycle tires i have used were the bridgestone battlaxe tires i had on my FZ6R. The Dunlops seem okay in ideal conditions, the only issue i've had with them is that they seem to loose traction when wet really easily, and when they are cold like in the 50's they dont work well. The battlaxe tires were good except when it rained or there was moisture on the road(a definite hazard in Mississippi where i rode that bike the most) then every painted line or manhole cover or any standing water you came across was a death trap. I need some that are great for daily riding, with the weekend romp through the twisties in soCal. I will be putting a lot of miles on the bike(40-50 per day) when it warms up and i need them to last a failry long time. Sorry i'm getting a little long winded, but i would like something like the dunlop D616, because i love the look and versatility.

Dunlop_D616_Review_Mud_1.jpg

Just imagine those on an FZ09

The review i got the pic from:
http://pursuithorizon.com/2013/05/14/dunlop-d616-amandas-tire-review/

Where i found the tires: On Katee Sackoff's custom 1987 Honda XL600R enduro.
http://www.bikeexif.com/honda-xl600-classified-moto

Anyways any thoughts?

-z

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I'll had my 2 cents in (now 75% off!)...

I think the stock Dunlops are terrible in cool weather. I didn't want to say much before, as I thought it was just my noob skills, but any time the temps drop below 50, they lost virtually all grip. I've locked up doing nothing but normal braking in mid 40s, and a few other times where I was shocked that the wheels were just sliding. I went back and looked at those spots and there was no rubber on the ground. Now that I wrecked my bike (still hard to say), I will freely state that I will immediately replace them as soon as I get my bike back (or a replacement, heaven forbid); and not look back.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I think the stock Dunlops are terrible in cool weather. I didn't want to say much before, as I thought it was just my noob skills, but any time the temps drop below 50, they lost virtually all grip. I've locked up doing nothing but normal braking in mid 40s, and a few other times where I was shocked that the wheels were just sliding. I went back and looked at those spots and there was no rubber on the ground. Now that I wrecked my bike (still hard to say), I will freely state that I will immediately replace them as soon as I get my bike back (or a replacement, heaven forbid); and not look back.
You definitely have firsthand pricefull experience, and I being relatively new also(about 4500 miles total) do not intend on having the tires let me down as they seem to have done to you. Your experience is what started me searching for a good all weather, multiple terrain tire. If you read the review, the reviewer talks about her reduced fear of gravel or sand which is my biggest fear because it happens so fast and causes serious damage immediately. A friend of mine cracked his engine cover on his R6 going about 10-15mph and those of us with him didn't even realize he was down it happened so fast.

Again I'm glad you are okay and have insurance to cover the cost.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Michelin Pilot Road 3's (aka PR3's) seem to be loved by just about everybody.
You are correct. I peeled off a perfectly good set of stock Bridgestones off my FJR and put on PR3's. What a difference. It rides like a different bike. Stable over tar snakes and gravel. Last summer I rode down to Deals Gap. On the way home I encountered heavy rain in Knoxville. The puddles on the freeway were so deep the wash off my front tire knocked my feet off the pegs. The bike didn't flinch.

However I am putting the sporty versions of these on my FZ-09: The Pilot Power 3's. In fact I just ordered them tonight.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Michelins are what I have put on all my other bikes and are my choice I have already put them on my GROM next up FZ09.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are correct. I peeled off a perfectly good set of stock Bridgestones off my FJR and put on PR3's. What a difference. It rides like a different bike. Stable over tar snakes and gravel. Last summer I rode down to Deals Gap. On the way home I encountered heavy rain in Knoxville. The puddles on the freeway were so deep the wash off my front tire knocked my feet off the pegs. The bike didn't flinch.

However I am putting the sporty versions of these on my FZ-09: The Pilot Power 3's. In fact I just ordered them tonight.
How do the roads compare to the powers, in longevity, water and what not. I can read about them all I want, but firsthand experience is best. Sounds like either will work great for me! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
670 Posts
How do the roads compare to the powers, in longevity, water and what not. I can read about them all I want, but firsthand experience is best. Sounds like either will work great for me! Thanks guys!
I'll find out when I ride in them. If they are anything like the PR3's, which I expect, all will be good.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Zloikish, Just a general word about tires.
If you are going to ride it aggressively, I am not sure the D616 is the best choice. Better to go with the Sportmax Q3 or Pilot Road 3, or Pilot Power 3. But none of these will give you great tire wear.
Essentially, one tire does not fit all, as far as riding habits are concerned. A softer tread will give you better handling, so a dual compound tire is preferred for canyon carving, but will not give you as good mileage as a harder compound. The D616 runs rather cool, so mileage should be better than the above mentioned tires, which are dual compound.
Eolith: So sorry about the crash, You are exactly right about the Sportmax D214. They must be warm to handle at all. Also, tire pressure HAS to be no more than 30-31 lbs. I don't ride under 50 degrees with them as I can't warm them up.

·
Banned
161 Posts

Please stop calling them "stock Dunlops" and somehow attributing your accident to them.

Dunlops are great, I will probably run Q3's (or Q2's) for years to come. Run them around 30 psi....

Reactions: Travis

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Please stop calling them "stock Dunlops" and somehow attributing your accident to them.

Dunlops are great, I will probably run Q3's (or Q2's) for years to come. Run them around 30 psi....
Don't be a dickhead. Although eolith is somewhat new to riding, I can assure you that he is extremely well versed. The OEM specked Dunlop tires are exactly as he described them.

·
Registered
238 Posts

That's exactly what they are, an OEM Spec Dunlop tire that is made to Yamaha's spec for this bike, it's just too bad that these appear to be on the lower end of the performance spectrum. I run only Dunlops - on my race bike and street bike and it really is a shame that they never scooped up all their remaining Q2's last Fall and spooned them onto the 09's as the OEM fitment tire instead of these where longevity is more a priority over outright grip and feedback.

I haven't ridden on mine yet except a 4 mile rip on my local street the day I brought home the FZ so I can't comment on them but hearing feedback from others who I trust, I'll be taking the OEM tires off in the Spring for some budget minded rider to snap up and I'll spoon on a set of my Q3's I have leftover from last year.

·
Registered
176 Posts
OEM tires are mostly crap on road bikes (racers not included) so the best investment for a new bike might be new rubbers imho

·
Banned
161 Posts
That's exactly what they are, an OEM Spec Dunlop tire that is made to Yamaha's spec for this bike, it's just too bad that these appear to be on the lower end of the performance spectrum. I run only Dunlops - on my race bike and street bike and it really is a shame that they never scooped up all their remaining Q2's last Fall and spooned them onto the 09's as the OEM fitment tire instead of these where longevity is more a priority over outright grip and feedback.

I haven't ridden on mine yet except a 4 mile rip on my local street the day I brought home the FZ so I can't comment on them but hearing feedback from others who I trust, I'll be taking the OEM tires off in the Spring for some budget minded rider to snap up and I'll spoon on a set of my Q3's I have leftover from last year.
There's plenty of FZ-09's sitting at dealerships with Michelin's on them. They're Dunlop Sportmax's...right? Plenty good tire.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Actually the Dunlop D14's may be made to Kawasaki's specs.

2013 Kawasaki Z800 review - Page 2 - Road Tests: First Rides - Visordown

Almost 6 months before the FZ-09 went on sale.

Personally, I found these tires to be wickedly slippery in cold weather. It's like riding on ice. First thing in Spring these puppies will be peeled off and a set of Michelin Pilot Power 3's will be in their place. If you want to buy a nice set of D14's with less than 300 miles at a cheap price - PM me. We can make a good deal.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The "Dunlop Sportmax D214" tire that is on about 1/2 of the FZ09's produced is made in Japan by Sumitomo Tire Company and is nowhere near as good as a Q2 or Q3. As I mentioned in another thread, spirited riding on them requires 30-31 lbs., no more, and well warmed up. If you run them at the factory recommended pressure of 42 rear and 36 front----well, aahhh-- just be careful.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The "Dunlop Sportmax D214" tire that is on about 1/2 of the FZ09's produced is made in Japan by Sumitomo Tire Company and is nowhere near as good as a Q2 or Q3. As I mentioned in another thread, spirited riding on them requires 30-31 lbs., no more, and well warmed up. If you run them at the factory recommended pressure of 42 rear and 36 front----well, aahhh-- just be careful.
That's really good to know. I'm running mine at factory spec, my accident was my fault for being stupid, but I am sure that a bit more traction would have helped.

-z

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I am putting michelins on mine.
I'd be curious to see what you think after the change. Michelins have always been my second choice... very predictable as I remember. Plus good feedback at the bar ends... you should be able to tell when you're running in a bit of sand or other slippery conditions, even if you can't see it on the road... the pressure at the bar ends will fall off but you will still have good traction. It's that fall off that will let you know to back off a bit. May be my second choice, but they make some damn fine tires. :)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts