Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! Been following for a while, but this is my first post, so feel free to slap me around! I have an XSR900 which I love! I've been using Metzler Roadtec 01 tires on it for over 10,000 miles and they work great. I need to replace my rear tire ... and this is where the problem starts. I have ordered a total of 3 tires, from 2 different warehouses, and they all came in with a 2016 manufacturing date. It looks like I'm gonna have to switch model/brand tire, but I'm not sure which one to go to. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Short weekend rides. I live in south Fla so there's not too many curvy roads, but there's a few and when I find them I like to push it! The roads do get wet here though, so that is a big consideration in my decision. Any help would be appreciated. Oh, and something that's been recently manufactured would help!

·
Registered
234 Posts
You can't do much better than Michelin Road5s, and they sell very well. Or if you want Metzelers, get the Z6, which is their current tire. Don't buy the cheapest tires, or you'd get old stock, like those 01s. I may cheap out on some things, but NEVER on tires, especially motorcycle ones. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Short weekend rides. I live in south Fla so there's not too many curvy roads, but there's a few and when I find them I like to push it! The roads do get wet here though, so that is a big consideration in my decision. Any help would be appreciated. Oh, and something that's been recently manufactured would help!
Michelin Road 5's or Pirelli Angel GT2 tires are excellent for that. (I'm running GT2's at the moment.)
Sport touring tires offer a great balance of performance and longevity. The dual compound rear tires help prevent significant squaring off from straight ride commuting, which is great.

Overall, you can't go wrong there.

If you find later you need a much more performance oriented tire, check out the Dunlop Q4 or the Bridgestone S22.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! The shop called and said they didn't have a Road 5, but they had a Power 5 in my size in stock. Just finished putting it on the bike. Will break it in in the morning. Thanks for all the help guys!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,766 Posts
Moved this thread to the Wheels and Tires Section...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks! How do the road5's and Z6's wear? I'd like to get at least 5,000 miles out of them.
The CC of the bike and how you ride have a lot to do with tire life expectancy. On my Vstrom 650 I got 9k out of Road 5's. Those same tires on my FJ-09, I get 3-5k. I ride the crap out of that FJ on the back roads though.

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
09's seem to be hard on tyres despite the light weight. Similar or a bit less than I got from my Bandit with the same hp.
I suspect it's the torque curve and gearing.
Still, who cares? It's like worrying about fuel economy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts