Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone's had good enough weather to play with tire pressure yet?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hey all, I'm not a track guy or a huge racer, I like to ride to commute but also be a little sporty around turns and quick acceleration (I mean why did I get the FZ09 when if I was just commuting could have gotten something not as fun). But I am also going on a long trip this weekend and will be avoiding highways for the most part. What would the ideal tire pressure be for me on the stock tires? I was riding 34.5/38 but after reading some of this thread I put it at 34/36. I just don't want to choose something that I read but people were using for track and whatnot. Some input would help me :) thank you!

·
Registered
673 Posts
It really depends on your tires. Running Dunlop Q3s and I've found a good balance of side wall contact patch and smiles per gallon at 30F/30R.

Reactions: JDub0813

·
Registered
164 Posts
Really that low eh? Lol smiles per gallon. Yeah I have the stock dunlops and I will just go this ride where I am (34/36) at which is lower than what I have been riding (34.5/38) and see how that goes for this trip.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
JDub, I started with 36F/42R following the owners manual and I don't know how I didn't wipe out the first week. Reading the advice of fellow members, I started reducing psi 34F/38R then 32F/34R and it got better and better. Yesterday I rode 200 miles with 30F/32R and was even better still! I think if you're going to avoid highways you can set your tires in the low 30's. And you should know, I also got the stock tires.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thanks for your input! I am going to stick with these because I don't want to do too much difference before a long trip. Also we will be "trying" to avoid highways. We aren't exactly sure on the directions when we go off of them but thanks to maps and technology we aren't too worried. Just have to make sure there are near by gas stations along the way haha. Thanks again and I think when I get back I might try 32/34

·
Registered
673 Posts
JDub, I started with 36F/42R following the owners manual and I don't know how I didn't wipe out the first week. Reading the advice of fellow members, I started reducing psi 34F/38R then 32F/34R and it got better and better. Yesterday I rode 200 miles with 30F/32R and was even better still! I think if you're going to avoid highways you can set your tires in the low 30's. And you should know, I also got the stock tires.
+1.. 60% of my riding is highway and I'm avg 41mpg w/ slip-on exhaust, and my rear Q3 is toast with just over 4K miles on it.. Very, very, very reasonable wear in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
was riding 34.5/38 but after reading some of this thread I put it at 34/36.
I think those number are ok. I'm running 35/35, but I might reduce the front down to 33 or 32. Since I don't check air pressure every week, I'll rather have a bit extra than run under inflated tires. Starting at 30/30 requires watching tire pressure more closely than I want to.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Here is what my Q3 is looking like with 4100 miles, most Dunlops I've ridden (on other bikes) do well at 30psi. I ran the stock Dunlop Roadsmarts at 32R/34F. You can always raise it (do it when they're cold) if you want snappier steering response.

Tire Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Tread Auto part Tire Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Auto part Architecture

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
It really depends on your tires. Running Dunlop Q3s and I've found a good balance of side wall contact patch and smiles per gallon at 30F/30R.

These are cold pressures right? I might try them

·
Registered
673 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
30/30 seems quite low for my liking right now lol. I will take this trip at 34/36 and cruise around when I get back at 32/34 and see how I feel. I also will need to do a chain tightening when I get back. I am at half an inch movement when on the side stand.

·
Registered
673 Posts
30/30 seems quite low for my liking right now lol. I will take this trip at 34/36 and cruise around when I get back at 32/34 and see how I feel. I also will need to do a chain tightening when I get back. I am at half an inch movement when on the side stand.
If you're on the stock Dunlops, 30/30 is a bit low and I think that applies to most sport-touring tires. Q3s are more track-oriented and have a steeper profile. I'm sure TripleThreat, Doozer, or Buck could share some wisdom here being avid track riders.

Half an inch to 0.75" of movement on the chain is actually about where you want to be. When the rear suspension compresses you'll need that half inch of slack (maybe even a bit more) to keep the suspension travel from binding.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Okay thank you, then I feel comfortable right around 34/36 for now. Thanks for the input and I guess I will leave the chain as it is just a little above .5" of slack.

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
Chain slack, as stated in the owners manual of the bike is TOO TIGHT.....PERIOD! Adjust the chain slack to approx. 1" or for you metric guys...around 25mm.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I think a little lower tyre pressure both back and front helps for a more comfortable and less jarring ride if you have bumped your suspension settings up, too. 32/36 or maybe a tad lower - but prob good for freeway riding. Always check when cold. Factory settings agreed way too high.
Just saying. Enjoy your road trip JDub! And watch for the Picture Bike game challenges along the way! :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts