Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched through a few tire pressure threads, but haven't come across one that addresses 2up riding. What do you guys recommend (stock Bridgestones, stock suspension, ~300-330lbs combined)?

Thanks,
Ed

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
that's what's in the handbook. no reason not to use it.
Actually, yes there is a reason NOT to do that.......it's called over inflating a tire, or in this case, two tires. Those numbers are for maximum loaded weight on the bike of rider, passenger, luggage, and any accessories that didn't come on the bike from the factory.

Ed.......that's kind of a wide spread there......300 to 330 lbs. If it were me taking a two up ride and that was the weights I was expecting to ride with, I'd probably go 34psi front and 38/40 on the rear......cold pressures of course. Since you are carrying a passenger, more of the weight will be biased towards the rear of the bike. Also, with that kind of weight on the stock shock, you will probably want to go full hard on the adjustment for your preload on the shock spring.

Reactions: Roundabout

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All,

Thanks to all for the help. Triple, I'll put those pressures into practice and see how it turns out.

Thanks again,
Ed

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
What Triple said.. but for the stock suspension, test a few settings. I ride nearly 50% with a passenger. I tried full preload and it was way too much for my passenger- had to dial it back in a bit for her comfort. Depends on total weight and conditions of roads as well.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Rule of thumb with tire pressures. Below factory recommendation pressure increases sidewall flex. Increase in pressure over factory recommendation decreases sidewall flex making the bike ride stiffer and less road contact. Finding the balancing point between the two involves many factors, total weight of passenger(s), accessories (luggage), weather (mostly temperature), suspension settings, and type of riding terrain to name a few. Hence my recommendation for factory settings; please adjust as needed from there.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Bumps are felt both through suspension settings AND tire pressures. Overinflated tires and soft preload will still be uncomfortable for passengers. if you have sag set about right and passenger complains of harshness (little bumps still provide jolts) try decreasing pressure a few pounds. Modern tires won't fail unless you are way under pressure under high loads and prolonged high speeds. Also, get used to feeling the sidewalls of your tires when you stop. You will quickly learn what is normal warm and what is too hot. Too hot is bad, add some pressure.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Its a preference thing.. The less pressure the more tire surface is on street and grippier it is... I run 33F / 35R ... People are going to agree with me, and people are going to say im wrong, the same will happen to you regardless what pressure you find most fitting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts