Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's that time again! The thread marker is drawing near. I was hoping to start this thread to see what you guys have experienced on the FZ09 as far as what tires to go with. It's merely preference but maybe there will be nuggets of information that will help us tire buyers out. I like to ride aggressive when it is mostly safe and the time is right....
I enjoy hitting the twisties on weekends and I commute once and a while around town.

My previous bike was a Raven FZ6 and it was not the best feel with the Dunlops, felt kinda heavy. But once I put on a set of Pirelli Diablo Rosso II's it was like a new bike as far as cornering and feel.

Any other stories/experiences that would make us tire buyers have a little more difficult time deciding what to put on this rocket :)

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Depends on a lot of factors:
Where you ride
Weather you ride
Your tire budget
Your mileage expectations

and many more

I like very sticky tires so I am running Pirelli SuperCorsas but the get pretty crappy rear tire mileage at about 2k. Front tire is doing well at 5k and probably has another 2-3k in it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm still on the OEM dunlops, but going to need to switch soon. I'm probably going with PR4's, as I've just heard nothing but great things about them. We'll see how it turns out.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I have an FZ-07 and it came with PR3's on it. No matter how bat shit crazy you ride it on twisty roads..the PR3's will not get hot enough to make me feel confident. I have ordered Bridgestone BT 016 Pros. I've used them before and they do heat up good for spirited knee draggin and last me about 5k miles. The PR4's are Sport Touring tires and should last for 10 to 14 k miles at least.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
My first set of tires on the FZ09 (I switched them out with 2 miles on the bike) was a set of Q3's. They stick very, very well and inspires a lot of confidence at knee dragging lean angles. The rear tire was history at 2750 miles. I'm still running the front one and will continue to use it until it's toast. So, I bought a set of the Michelin Pilot Power III's and put it on the rear and it now has roughly 1400 miles on it. I am very pleased with this tire also. I don't think it sticks quite as well as the Q3 did, but certainly nothing to feel uncomfortable about. Tire wear is pretty minimal so far and I suspect that I'll get somewhere in the neighborhood 5 to 6K miles out of it. That means that the Q3 front now has about 4100 miles on it and I'm guessing it will hit 6K before needing to be replaced with the PP III that I've got waiting.

So that's my story on the tires for the FZ.

Reactions: ktk_ace

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
I have an FZ-07 and it came with PR3's on it. No matter how bat shit crazy you ride it on twisty roads..the PR3's will not get hot enough to make me feel confident. I have ordered Bridgestone BT 016 Pros. I've used them before and they do heat up good for spirited knee draggin and last me about 5k miles. The PR4's are Sport Touring tires and should last for 10 to 14 k miles at least.
Cold pressure settings please????

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I have the Angel GT and for the street they are pretty solid. I did a track day with them (partially wet track in corners) and they hold done very good. I had 2-3 two wheel drift but that was pushing hard and hitting some wet patch of pavement. Never in my life I would attempt to push that hard on the road...

I don't think you need much more grip in the street.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Still running original Bridgestone, around 3k miles. started with high 30's psi, now running low 30's psi cold. Planning dropping the rear down to 29psi cold for my next ride. Overall, the S10's are some of the best i've ridden on for the street.

Next tires are probably gonna be Q3 or Bridgestone BT003 RS. Waiting for track day before get the new shoes.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
I'm tossing a set of the Pilot Power 3's on tomorrow. Will report back!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Angel gts here. As motomania said, depends on what you want. I am looking for a compromise between mileage and performance. Only a few hundred miles on the pirelli's but they seem more than adequate for spirited riding on the street. Will have to see what kind of mileage I get.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Bike came stock with Bridgestone S20's. No complaints. Grip well, nice turn-in profile.
Front is still good, rear with 4500Km's is ready to get changed out. New one should be in today.

Angle GT vs. Q3

That should be a hell of a difference!

I'm looking for a better milage tire for the FZ and was interested in the GT's. I have always liked my Pirelli tires.

How's the GT for turning? Looks like a mild profile with not so much contact patch at lean. Does look like a nice stable profile for riding straight up. Do you find the turn-in slow on these?

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I don't feel like they're slow turning in, or at the least they lean as fast as I want too. They're not a race track purpose tire but will hold very good on a spirit ride. I expect the Q3 to lean faster and have a better contact patch in the corners... main reason why Im usimg them for my 2 coming track days. The GT will go back on.

Keep in mind that the GT has 3K miles on it already so it look a bit more flat compare to the Q3 and the Q3 is not mounted so the shape might look slightly different.

All in all the GT is way enough tire for the street. If you need more you either doing it wrong or might end up in jail!

·
Registered
657 Posts
I don't feel like they're slow turning in, or at the least they lean as fast as I want too. They're not a race track purpose tire but will hold very good on a spirit ride. I expect the Q3 to lean faster and have a better contact patch in the corners... main reason why Im usimg them for my 2 coming track days. The GT will go back on.

Keep in mind that the GT has 3K miles on it already so it look a bit more flat compare to the Q3 and the Q3 is not mounted so the shape might look slightly different.

All in all the GT is way enough tire for the street. If you need more you either doing it wrong or might end up in jail!
Ah that would explain the flatter profile! Still look great for 3K on them.

After these S20's are cooked, shopping for GT's will be on top of the list. Would be nice not to have to change out tires 1-2 times / season.

Reactions: marthy

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
2K trip to the Dragon from WPB, 2/3 of it was on the flat slab. Did some commuting and 1 track day.

I will be using the Q3s for the 2 track day I have this weekend and Sept 7th then I'll see how much rubber is left by then.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great input everyone! I'm liking the Angel GT early on but still remember the difference the Diablo Rosso II's made on the FZ6.
Any body have Diablo's on they're FZ09?
Still willing to listen to other tire experiences as well.

·
Registered
159 Posts
On my second set of Q3's - this time 190 in the rear. They work great.

However, they don't last all that long. I do not commute - only ride the canyons and track.

If you like lots of grip - and run your tires with pretty low pressure - they are awesome.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I found the stock S20 worked really well, but it only lasted 5000 Km. I went for the Angel GT looking for similar grip and longer wear. If I can double the mileage I'll be a happy camper. The feel is a slightly different, but I like them so far. As Marthy said, they have plenty of grip for the street and the bike feels as agile as it did before.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts