Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time for new shoes. I don't like the Dunlops that came on it. I've always had good luck with Bridgestones. My independent shop closed up and now I'm thinking about the Dealer. He wants to put on Dunlop Q3's for $365 or Pirelli Angels for $458. Anybody doing their own tires? Should I go with this?:confused:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Q3s are actually good tires. Don't judge Dunlop on the factory spec rubber, seen a lot of that lately. I hated the bridgestones my ZX6R came with too, just the nature of the product factories have made and installed on their bikes to save a few bucks. That being said I've always preferred Pirelli, though I've never used their sport touring tires, just their slicks and super sports. You'll find better pricing online for sure. You can get the rear Angel GT for about $180 and shouldn't cost more than $25 to $35 bucks for a shop to mount it if you take em the wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
768 Posts
Time for new shoes. I don't like the Dunlops that came on it. I've always had good luck with Bridgestones. My independent shop closed up and now I'm thinking about the Dealer. He wants to put on Dunlop Q3's for $365 or Pirelli Angels for $458. Anybody doing their own tires? Should I go with this?:confused:
Choices:
See if he can do a better price on Metzeler Roadtec Z8s. They are sport touring tires with great wet grip and longevity. AND, they are made by the same folks as the Pirellis.
I had a set on my 919 and FZ-8 with zero issues. The FZ-09 is wearing Michelin Pilot Road 3s post OEM Dunlops and I'm liking those a lot, too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have never liked dunlops, but after the stealship did me a good deal on the Q3s i have changed my mind. They grip well and provide heaps of feedback and responsiveness. I don't know what the longevity is like with them as i have only had them a week.

·
Registered
233 Posts
It would help if you note what you're looking for and what type of riding you're planning to do. Although I've never used them, my next set will likely be Dunlop Q3's. I replaced the stock tires with Michelin Pilot Power 3's, and they work quite well. Close to 4,000 miles on them and they've got another 1,000 miles on them at least so decent mileage. But mileage is secondary to me- I like tires that stick. These have fared well through two track days with a third coming at the end of this month. On my other somewhat modern bike ('89 Hawk GT) I've used Avon AM26's (took them off before they were worn out- slippery as they aged), and Michelin Pilot Road 2 & 3, and now 4's. Happy with them on that bike but then I've only used it on the track once- my first track day. My son had the Pilot Road 4's on when he lost the back on his Hawk GT at his second track day. He's since sold the Hawk and rides a Daytona 675 now. He's done three track days on it using Q3's and has not had an issue with traction loss with those. I'm not as good as he is, and haven't had a bad moment on the Michelin Pilot Power 3's, but I'd like to try the Q3's when it's time for my next set. If you're more interested in higher mileage and good wet grip, Pilot Road 4's are supposed to be quite good. They do well in turns too, but I'd rather err on the side of more sticky tires for the FZ. Good luck.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Angels are great tires, make sure they are Angel GTs not STs

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry if I failed to specify tire type. I don't do track days but the canyons here are twisty so I would lean towards the sticky buns. Thanks to you guys for all of your opinions, I will probably make a decision by next weekend.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I personally prefer Michelin's over anything else.

But after picking up a nail in my rear stock Bridgestone I ordered another. I think it's an S20R I don't know but I've never had any complaints with any of the stock Bridgestone's on any bike. Granted they were all replaced with Michelin's

·
Registered
343 Posts
I am heavy so maxed out rear suspension is hard. The angel gt really gives a softer ride and in the rains it engine brakes great. The front isn't changed yet and I want to oversize it. I run 190/55/17.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
OP, you need to determine how the dealer came to that price. There should be several components to the price. 1. Price to install tires (is usually cheaper if you take the rims to the dealer vs. dropping the bike off) 2. Price of the tires. 3. Tax 4. Disposal fee of old tires (Varies by state). Some dealers are more expensive than others for changing tires, so shop around. Also, most will price match tires, if they can afford to. Sometimes though, it is more economical to buy them offline and have them installed at your local dealer (because the online dealers buy in large volumes and can therefore afford to sell the tires cheaper).

·
Registered
343 Posts
Also if it a small shop they have rent and payroll and taxes to pay. Sometimes extra isn't the end of the world it sometimes opens up to a new world of friends.

·
Registered
218 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
...He wants to put on...Pirelli Angels for $458. Anybody doing their own tires? Should I go with this?:confused:
That seems like you'll pay too much. I got my rear Angel GT from Amazon for $163. I have seen it a little cheaper since then. The local dealer wanted $28 off the bike to change out the tire. As far as the front tire goes, I will have to rig something to suspend the front end since I don't have the proper lift for the front.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I have burned up 6 sets of tires on my FZ.

PR2, PR4, PP3, and the stockers.

Here is my take:

PP2's were ok but are discontinued.

PR4's get good mileage but the rear with its hard center feels greasy and spins up pretty easily.

PP3's provide great grip but wear out pretty fast.

I am about to grab a pair of PR3's for my next set. I think they will be the perfect blend of grip and mileage. The center strip on the rear is a medium compound compaired to the hard on the 4.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OP, you need to determine how the dealer came to that price. There should be several components to the price. 1. Price to install tires (is usually cheaper if you take the rims to the dealer vs. dropping the bike off) 2. Price of the tires. 3. Tax 4. Disposal fee of old tires (Varies by state). Some dealers are more expensive than others for changing tires, so shop around. Also, most will price match tires, if they can afford to. Sometimes though, it is more economical to buy them offline and have them installed at your local dealer (because the online dealers buy in large volumes and can therefore afford to sell the tires cheaper).
The prices quoted are out the door just giving them the bike. I don't have stands for it. $94 is labor but they charge more if you bring your own tires. I used to do my own tires and I'm still debating if it's worth the trouble. FWIW the dealer I'm speaking of has the best service according to Yelp and they can do the headlight recall at the same time. [email protected]#ker$ want $95 for an oil change though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts