Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
crackedtire.jpg

Just purchased a used 2014 Yamaha FZ09 with 3,311 km. Got it on delivery today and when i was putting the bike away I noticed a vertical crack on the center of the rear stock tire for the first time. I've attached a photo.
Is this a severe issue for safety? Im thinking i should buy a new rear tire. Would appreciate any feedback or advice! Thanks.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
There was another member on here who had an issue with cracked tires from cold weather riding. That is about the only reason I can see the tire cracking like that. I would definitely be looking at a new tire, and just to be safe, have a very close look at the front tire as well. I know it is an unexpected expense, but it will be a lot more expensive if the tire comes apart on the Freeway, not to mention very dangerous.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Is there a mark about the crack in the image? Could you have run over something and cut the tire? Where is GTA? I would be looking for tires as Rocky mentioned.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Tire fatigue for sure. No matter what caused the problem you should not ride on the tire as it has now a weak point for total failure. Be smart, be safe, and replace the tire.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Not good!
What was the temp?

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
What tires are those? I ask because the tread pattern does not look like a Bridgestone Battlax Hypersport S20 tire.

I just look at my tires and the tread pattern is definitely different from the Battlax tread.

The lack of a tread pattern makes me think the PO put on a more track style tire. If it is a track style tire, the compound will be softer for better track grip. These soft compounds are more prone to cracking in colder weather, as they are not designed for lower temperatures.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Tires are more likely cheaper than your deductible let alone any medical bills. New tire/tires no doubt. I like to use the "cheaper than your deductible" in any safety concern. If you do this you will never go wrong. Play safe!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im posting a really late reply! Sorry guys!
I contacted the dealer immediately and they said they're going to order a new rear tire for me. If it is in fact the same Dunlop Sportmax tire that I already have then i'll take you up on your advice and get a much better rear tire. Id rather put 100-200 down than my life! Thanks again

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Time for new tires!
The dealer ordered me a new tire at no cost when i brought up the issue. Hopefully its not replaced with another sportmax tire. lol. Just waiting for a response if they'd pick the bike up with their truck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is there a mark about the crack in the image? Could you have run over something and cut the tire? Where is GTA? I would be looking for tires as Rocky mentioned.
I never had a chance to ride the bike. Greater Toronto Area (GTA) is in Ontario, Canada. Just bought it, got it delivered, placed it in my garage because its still winter. Sold me a bike with a cracked tired. :s

·
Registered
962 Posts
I've seen damage like that from using an aluminum ramp with sharp points for traction - I did it to the front tires when coming down the ramp.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
The dealer ordered me a new tire at no cost when i brought up the issue. Hopefully its not replaced with another sportmax tire. lol. Just waiting for a response if they'd pick the bike up with their truck.
There is nothing wrong with the Sportmax tires...unless you think you may take the bike to the track every day,or ride it in the dead of winter, then they will be just fine for you

1 - 17 of 17 Posts