Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I might purchase a tire changer....something I could disassemble and store away until I needed it, so I did a bunch of research to see what I could find. Either they are too cheap and lack a few incidental features that would either make them work or prevent wheel damage....or they cost $500 to $800+ dollars. Really...its either a $30 Harbor Freight...or a $80 Ebay....or a $795 No-Mar? I searched the internet, looked at Y-T videos (most were unimpressive), searched on Craigslist, etc, etc. Even the lowest cost No-Mar, which is still quite expensive, isn't capable of doing cruiser size-tires. It says so in the fine print. Seems like there is a black-hole in the market for a decent inexpensive tool....did I just not find the right option?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I looked into one a while back. Figured if my buddy and I split the cost (at the time we were going through 3-4 sets of tires a year) and changed tires for friends for cheap we figured we could make our money back eventually. Most of the bike shops where I am are expensive to change a set of tires.

Long run, probably not worth it. That's why we didn't.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
This is what I bought at a local Hydraulics sales outfit and it has already paid for itself ! Me about 4 tires a year and my buddy has two FZ1's with about 6 tire changes a year ! Worth it's weight in gold !

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Abe, so how much did you have to pay to get a quality machine? That doesn't look like a HF special. My point in the original post is that they are either made too cheap, or you have to pay over $500, even $800 to "maybe" get something that will actually work. And I'm not sure your machine is totally manual.

Chefmike....so are you still using spoons to mount/dismount tires?

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn't mind spending $100-$150 to get a manual changer that would actually work....like having a proper pry bar that didn't scratch rims and was designed properly....and clamps that didn't scratch....and a center point that had a couple of different sizes that would actually fit motorcycle rims and not just a car rim, etc. Yeah, that kind of stuff that makes a tool go from junk to functional.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I
Abe, so how much did you have to pay to get a quality machine? That doesn't look like a HF special. My point in the original post is that they are either made too cheap, or you have to pay over $500, even $800 to "maybe" get something that will actually work. And I'm not sure your machine is totally manual.

Chefmike....so are you still using spoons to mount/dismount tires?
I remove the wheel and take it to a shop. We never got the machine so I'm still doing that.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I wouldn't mind spending $100-$150 to get a manual changer that would actually work....like having a proper pry bar that didn't scratch rims and was designed properly....and clamps that didn't scratch....and a center point that had a couple of different sizes that would actually fit motorcycle rims and not just a car rim, etc. Yeah, that kind of stuff that makes a tool go from junk to functional.
I spent right at $899 for the changer . It is hydraulic and electrical movements my compressor puts out 100psi and is enough to run it ! Dealers around here want $50 a pop and gotta drive over 45 miles to get to one and the closet is a Harley shop that does not do metric bike wheels..what a bunch af ass holes ! I dont do harleys! So it does add up with gas to drive ,time and the price for changing them out ..so it was a great buy and as I said has paid for itself ! This unit is a Tuxedo TC400 MB and is the same as others with different names ..

·
Registered
23 Posts
I thought about getting a tire changer when I was going through tires by the week. But I learned how to be a spoon whisperer and never looked back. You can be careful with spoons if you wanted to be, I believe Ive seen motion pro plastic sleeves for spoons before but I could have dreamed it. I bought the harbor freight big curve and 2 small flats for $25 total, my buddy bought Motion Pro big curve and 2 flats for like $80. I guess its a good skill to have while saving money. If you have room for a machine though they are nice. I guess now I should make some ABS sleeves for my spoons.
these spoons are over 15 years old and the better looking one is the fake 20200202_210842.jpg

·
Registered
968 Posts
I got the HFT changer, no scuff pry bar, and mojo blocks. All together it ended up being $175 or so, but I'm a fan. It has treated me right the past couple of years. Not sure if the pry bar will hold up to the super stiff cruiser tires though.

mojo blocks: Mojoblocks
Pry bar: https://no-scufftiretool.com/

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I Not sure if the pry bar will hold up to the super stiff cruiser tires though.
I remember one of the Techs and I trying to seat the bead on an old Harley tyre a guy wanted fitted. That thing was like a rock, nothing we tried would spread the bead out to the rim. Even a chain with a ratchet tensioner wrapped around it wouldn't make it budge.
Dynamite might have worked.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I remember one of the Techs and I trying to seat the bead on an old Harley tyre a guy wanted fitted. That thing was like a rock, nothing we tried would spread the bead out to the rim. Even a chain with a ratchet tensioner wrapped around it wouldn't make it budge.
Dynamite might have worked.
I imagined a harley wheel full of m80s and a long fuse with an old style plunger detonator.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts