Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some people swear by the micro beads. I have also seen a sealant/balance goo on the market.
I have only used the stick on weights on the bike.
That said I won't let a shop use stick on weights on my cars because they have a habit of falling off.

Are the beads worth it? Has anyone tried the Ride-On balance/sealant goo?
I have read claims of better tire life, but hate to put crap in the tire....What is the real scoop? Pro's v Con's

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Brian,

Buy the stick on wheel weights and when you are done balancing, put a piece of Black duct tape (for black wheels) over the wheel weights.....they will still be there when you are ready to change the tire again. I've used this method for years and it also works at high speed...think track bikes

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I've never had the stick on weights fall off a street or track bike. If you really want to avoid them you can order Yamaha weights designed to clamp on the 09 wheels, more expensive but reusable.

Personally I don't want to but beads or goop in my tires. SV650 wheels I could balance on their axles across a couple saw horses, easy, Haven't tried it with 09 wheels yet but it should work.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't recall loosing any off of a bike, but they never seem to stay on car wheels(clearly used in worse conditions).
I have some steel stick on's. I wish the lead ones were easier to source.

I have already dismounted/mounted/balanced the rear once. My query is based on the new skins that are headed my way.:cool:
I'm willing to try the gee whiz method if it works, otherwise I'll use the 'ol tried and true method....I'm old enough to not be ashamed of "old school". Especially when it works!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I use the Ride-On "goo" (goo is not a good term though, because it's not really gooey), but never for wheel balancing purposes.

I've lost sticky weights on moto wheels, all of them have flown off the rear wheel of my FZ6, and most on the front wheel... only one little weight is still hanging on for dear life.

At the track, it was always required to tape down the weights.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Stock weights

2014 Yamaha FZ09 (FZ09ER) Front Wheel | Motorcycle Goodies

Item 7, available in 10, 20, and 30 grams. $5.66 each yikes, but in the past I've reused that type of clip on weight without problem.

I looked in the service manual (pg 4-11 if you have it) about balancing, it doesn't say anything for or against reusing the weights. When using the lead stick on weights I've balanced a lot more accurately than 10 grams but seems that's good enough. Or you could cut the stockers down to make your own sizes.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've used beads in the past on a supermoto. No complaints here, aside from installation. I recently bought a full tire changing setup, including balancer, so I got stick-on weights to go along. I would have no problem using the beads again though. I use them in my truck currently.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know that this will cause some discussion, but here goes. I have changed 16 sets of tires in the past 8 years. This was on 6 different bikes. Bikes ranged from a buell m2 cyclone, buell ulysses, yamaha r6, yamaha r1, cbr 600 rr, to a hd sportster. I have not balanced a tire yet. The most impressive was the cbr 600 rr which made many runs above 140 mph. No shake, no uneven wear, long tire life....can't complain one bit. The majority of the tires were Michelin pilot powers. One set were dunlops and one set of bridgestones. Bring on the comments.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the ease in asking....you didn't attack me. It all started with a set of buell wheels that got scratched by a dealing overcharging and installing tires. My friend and I changed a set of tires on his buell xb9s. We heard of other guys not balancing and decided to try it. Haven't balanced one since. I was just so sick of dealers wanting to overcharge for tires or overcharge for the changing/balancing service when I carried in tires. I worked at a car dealer for a while and would use the car tire bead breaker. Now I use a $20 harbor freight bead breaker with a few mods. I never got around to making something to balance tires mainly because I never saw the need. I tear the original factory weights off and mount a new tire. I'm normally very picky when it comes to repair and service and was hesitant at first, but this has left me with a clean, scratch free wheel and zero issues. Feel free to try this if you want, but until I have an issue, my method will remain the same.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Really, balancing is easy, by far the easiest step of the whole thing.

Some people say most of the imbalance is the rim, so if I wasn't going to balance the wheel I'd leave the stock weights on.

I don't know if there can be issues from unbalanced wheels (bearings maybe?) when the rider can't feel the vibration.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I always check my balance on a set of jack stands, but if you line the yellow sot on the sidewall up with the valve stem you won't need much if any weight on the rims.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
I understand your concerns. I like the cleanliness of a wheel without weights and don't miss any extra steps. Maybe I have just been blessed with wheels that have been balanced better than the average??? I have changed many wheel bearings.... But only on atvs and on/off-road bikes older than 25 yrs old. Never an issue on my streetbikes that we are discussing. Like I said, to each his own. Just my process. Thanks for the constructive conversation.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Dub......I've used Michelin tires for the last 8 or 9 years and they don't come with a paint dot on them for balancing. I was told that Michelin's process for manufacturing the tires is so good that there really isn't a heavy or light spot on them. In general, I have found this to be true, but I balance every single tire that I mount up, as a matter of user comfort and longevity.

·
Registered
192 Posts
With balancing, we are conditioned to KNOW how important it is..and on cars, it can be. BUT, on bikes? I did buy a balancer, and enjoy seeing how perfect i can get them.

On my Ninja, I had the ecu reflashed and the top speed limiter is not there anymore. Now, I, personally, would never do anything that was not 100% legal. That means I'd only ride up to 74mph...actually, 73 just to leave a safety cushion.

But, that Rcannon408 guys..... He rode, with unbalanced tires, well over the prior electric limit of 155. The front tire was 1 oz out, and you'd never know it.

After he told me THAT, I balanced the rim, and let the Michelin tire land where it wants to.

But, for sure get the balancer if your changing your own tires. The stick on weights are just fine, and its kind of fun to work with. Fun because it will teach you how its done once you start sticking weights on. Watch a youtube video, then go for it. You'll know you got to the ridiculous point once you start cutting 1/4 oz weights with a dremel tool...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Over the years I've had a few Pilot Powers need balancing..
Noticeable shake even visual run out on fronts...
Not only do I balance my tire, prior I balance the wheel.
I'm picky on anything having to do with vibration or the thought of bouncing..
Each leads to less traction...I've never had too much..

Stick on weights have worked flawlessly..
Tape over for track use...

We each have our own thoughts

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
... You'll know you got to the ridiculous point once you start cutting 1/4 oz weights with a dremel tool...
Are the modern stick on weights steel? I still have the old (unused) stick on lead weights. Those you can cut to any weight with side-cuts lol.

Edit:
When I take off the old stick ons I don't throw them away, when balancing a new tire tape them on temporarily to find out how much, then cut off the amount of new weights that I need.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Bob.....that is exactly what I do too. A little masking tape, old wheel weights, and add/remove until you get the correct amount. Clean wheel and stick on the new ones. Two great minds thinking alike! :)

Oh, and as far as getting lead stick on weights, they are still out there on the internet, but they are getting extremely hard to find. I just bought some more about 3 or 4 months ago, but I don't remember where I got them. I should be OK for at least 6 or 7 more years though.

Reactions: Rexster

·
Registered
192 Posts
Are the modern stick on weights steel? I still have the old (unused) stick on lead weights. Those you can cut to any weight with side-cuts lol.

Edit:
When I take off the old stick ons I don't throw them away, when balancing a new tire tape them on temporarily to find out how much, then cut off the amount of new weights that I need.

I THINK they are steel. You just about need a dremel, with cut off wheel, to cut them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts