Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I know they'll be different opinions on the matter. I hope this doesn't turn into a heated debate, haha.
My question is: What air pressure should I be running my tires at? I have 36 front and 42 rear right now.
They are the Dunlops that came with bike, I commute to work and on my days off I ride country roads. I'm not an aggressive rider and I don't drag knee on the turns.
Is going to get into the upper 70's to mid 80's here and I weigh 210 with gear. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
personally - i think that's way too high - i run 33 front and 34 in the rear but YMMV.

what's interesting is per a diff thread - i've actually looked at how the tires reacted to heat - and with this set up - in hot weather i was running closer to 36 and 38 with the cold psi (33F 34R). I dont think tire expansion is linear but you're tires are going to expand with heat regardless of PSI (i would think so anyway) so keep that in mind..

You may want to take some air out and see how the bike behaves and if you like it. Either way my personal opinion is anything over 38 is too high but again, that's just me.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
There have been several threads debating this issue.

I believe the consensus was 46 Front & 49 Rear:p

Reactions: RickyNY

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There have been several threads debating this issue.

I believe the consensus was 46 Front & 49 Rear:p
What ever Stevo!! You are not inheriting my bike! :p

34f/36r here, and that is higher than I ran in my CBR. 42 in the rear with the Dunlops is asking for trouble.
I knew I shouldn't have followed the stupid owner manual. Thanks

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Yep, it's a personal preference and changes based on tires, but I usually run Front 32ish/Rear 36ish. I'll run higher pressure for long interstate rides for better wear and adjust once I get to the twisties. I have to ride 3 hours to get anywhere fun to ride. Make sure your tires are cold before adjusting air pressures.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guys this is for the stock Dunlops, it doesn't help me to know what pressure you're running in your Angel GT, PR4s etc. Thanks

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I put 40 pounds in the rear tire on my tard yesterday (normally 22) and went and played in the rain. People tend to look at you funny when you come sliding up next to them sideways at a stop light.

The FZ gets 33r/35f for daily duty, 31f/33r for more spirited riding. Pirelli Diablos. 30-35 front and rear is a safe bet for most tires on this bike.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
People tend to look at you funny when you come sliding up next to them sideways at a stop light.
Oh good I'm not the only juvenile delinquent here. I do the same thing. The asphalt in front of my driveway is decorated with curved black lines as I always slide in crossed up back tire squealing like a little piglet. My neighbor just smiles and shakes his head like I'm some kind of idiot or something. Heretic

·
Registered
835 Posts
32/34 usually. For harder riding I will drop to 30/30 or 30/32.
That's my answer too. Track day is 30/30. Daily riding is 32/32...sometimes 30/30 cause the world is my track.

Reactions: tommy two wheels

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
If you've got your own tyre pressure gauge, you can figure it out for yourself.
If the tyre pressure goes up 10-15% cold to hot, you're good. I heard this somewhere (a forum? A mate? A track day? I can't remember) and it worked for me.
Less than that, cold is too high. More than that, cold pressure is too low.
It's how I figured out what pressures to run on my motard that needed much lower tyre pressures to get hot.
If you start at say 32 cold, and it gets to 35-36 or so, you're pretty close. Since I'm not racing for a million bucks, I figure near enough is good enough for the street.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Ricky, There are almost as many tire threads in this forum as there are members (maybe a bit of an exaggeration), but seriously.....The owner's manual tells you those numbers for a reason....actually a couple of reasons.

1. Those pressures are for a fully loaded bike, passenger(s), luggage, ect......and if I remember correctly, that is somewhere around 390 lbs. So, unless you and a passenger and luggage are at 390 lbs, those pressures are way too high
2. Liability ......cover your butt......lawyer speak!

I've never run the Dunlops, as mine came with the S-20's and as took as the bike touched ground out of the trailer (2 miles on it), the S-20's came off and was sold and a set of Q3's were put on. I'm now running the Pilot Power III's and pretty much if you see me on the bike, the cold pressure that I started out with was 30/30

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've never run the Dunlops, as mine came with the S-20's and as took as the bike touched ground out of the trailer (2 miles on it), the S-20's came off and was sold and a set of Q3's were put on. I'm now running the Pilot Power III's and pretty much if you see me on the bike, the cold pressure that I started out with was 30/30
You know I was going to do the same but decided to try the S20's...and I am pleasantly surprised.. I run them at 30/30 or 32/32 depending on the weather and destination but they are nowhere as bad as the BT 014 and BT 016 were...
Got a set of Michelin PP3 on stand by just in case tho...

·
Registered
673 Posts
Same here, 30F/30R.. Gas mileage isn't really suffering either. I'm averaging 41+ mpg with 60% highway / 40% twisties.

Stock Dunlop Roadsmart up front, and near toasted Dunlop Q3 on the rear. New Q3s going on next week.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks guys for steering me in the right direction, now I got a pretty good idea what I'm going to do. I did a search before and read 3 different threads and couldn't find an answer, now I know why.. too many variables, riding styles, rider weight etc. Thank you all! I love this community :thumbsup:

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Ricky, just remember to inflate to 50 and bleed off a few lbs :cool:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts