Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, a few newbie questions:

- I have been told to keep the bike on the stand so that it's straight up and down during storage. This seems a little precarious with only the rear-wheel pit-bull. The bike is safe in underground secured parking, and there's a brake disc lock on it. Thoughts?

bike.jpg

- I'm going to be riding again in February if not late January as the weather clears up here quickly (Vancouver). Should I bother putting in fuel stabilizer / putting the battery on a trickle charger?

- I'm low on fuel, should I top it up before storing her for a few months? Does it matter?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Red...I guess I don't have to explain why parking a bike in a parking garage is asking for trouble......but saying that.....on a rear stand is asking for more trouble. First thing to do is find out where the cameras are located and find a camera that points at a spot behind a pillar where there is VERY LITTLE traffic, like near the elevator door, or the steps.
There is less chance that some idiot will back into it..or vandals will screw with it. Park the bike on the SIDESTAND. It will be less likely to be knocked over. Whoever told you that you need to store a bike straight up is retarded. I hope you aren't related to them. That advice is for carbureted bikes...and it was bad advice then too.

Next step is to buy a long thick chain and Masterlock that fits through the links. Wrap that chain around the front wheel...and the rear wheel...and the frame...{carefully} and wrap the rest around that concrete pillar and lock it up. TWO locks are better that one. A thief will notice a bike in the same spot for months and decide he wants it. Make it hard for him to get.

Next step is buy a can of STABIL fuel conditioner and follow the directions on the can. No more...no less. Fill the tank to the brim....to prevent tank rust....and add the STABIL. A few ounces is all you need. If you don't do this....the gasoline will turn to varnish in 4 months. Really.

It's a good idea to remove the battery too. Take it inside your apartment and keep it on a Battery Tender Jr the whole time. No small bike battery will last 4 months without going DOA.

If you do the above...when the weather warms up and you want to ride...just throw the battery in....and ride off with no problems.

Reactions: Don.B

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have to admit that I have never gotten overly carried away with off season storage. I have added "Stabil" fuel stabilizer to both my snowmobiles and motorcycles in the past. Some years I didn't, and they still ran fine.

I used to take the battery out of mine. If you do, don't set it on a concrete floor. That will kill it. Store the battery up on the shelf. Some folks just disconnect the negative lead, and others go the trickle charger route if handy.

I always top off my airplane tanks for long term storage because otherwise you end up with condensation inside the tank, which eventually means water in the fuel. (that's why planes all have a sump in the tanks to collect water) I suppose that same theory would apply to bikes, albeit a lot less expensive engine to worry about.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
This is a great thread! I need this advice too, in the past I never used stabil, but I would periodically (every week or 2) start up the bike and run it for like 10 min...I figured that would keep the battery good.

I am thinking of doing something different & better this winter. I have heard about tires getting flat spots when sitting for a while...any thoughts on this for the moto experts?
Is the FZ-09 set up to take a battery tender?...is there one you recommend? (good price, works good, etc)

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Good advice from CD599. The only thing I would do differently is pour the Stabil in first, then add the gasoline. This kind of insures that the Stabil gets mixed in with the gas. If I have several bikes/mower/generator to do, I'll go get a five gal can of gas on put the Stabil in while I'm filling the gas can....Then just pour in from the gas can. On smaller stuff that still have carbs instead of fuel injection,I always run the engine after adding treated gas, to let the treated fuel get into the carburetor. This keeps the jets and stuff from getting gummy/vanished

Reactions: Don.B and CD599

·
Registered
885 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
I strongly suggest putting a cover on the bike, that will make it much less interesting to thieves. And I'd fill the tank with ethanol-free gas (along with Stabil) if possible.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, I'll get on all of this right away. I'm still a bit confused about the flat-spot issue - is this a myth or just specific to carbureted bikes? Will it be fine on the side-stand?

Really appreciate the advice, this is how we learn!

·
Registered
663 Posts
I doubt the tires will maintain a flat spot after it warms up. I guess you could roll it around the garage once a month to get a different piece of rubber on the ground. Up around Fairbanks,Alaska cars get flat spots when parked at -50. It's like driving on square tires for the first few miles until they warm up.

One other thing I have used in the past was a "fogger" for the cylinders. You sprayed it in the spark plug holes to make a protective coating. Once again, that was probably overkill.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I would use Seafoam instead of Stabil. Stabil is good, but Seafoam is far superior. It has additives that clean the valves, combustion chamber, and top of the piston from carbon deposits. As well as help remove water. Plus it can stabilize fresh fuel for up to 2 years. I have a POS push mower that I've been using as a test to see how long the gas can be kept before the mower won't start. It's been 3 years now with the same fuel with Seafoam. Not a drop of fresh gas added in 3 years, 2 pulls and it starts every single time! I start it once every 3 months.

Reactions: Don.B

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I would use Seafoam instead of Stabil. Stabil is good, but Seafoam is far superior. It has additives that clean the valves, combustion chamber, and top of the piston from carbon deposits. As well as help remove water. Plus it can stabilize fresh fuel for up to 2 years. I have a POS push mower that I've been using as a test to see how long the gas can be kept before the mower won't start. It's been 3 years now with the same fuel with Seafoam. Not a drop of fresh gas added in 3 years, 2 pulls and it starts every single time! I start it once every 3 months.
Pics of the POS lawnmower please!!!! :)

·
Registered
418 Posts
HAHAHA! You interested in buying it?! It's actually a pretty good Troy Built mower. I just have no use for it anymore. I call it a POS because it always seems to be in the way in the garage LOL

·
Registered
885 Posts
Another practice I started after a friend's misfortune is to park a motorcycle in gear, not in neutral. He parallel parked on a downhill incline, walked away and heard 'something' fall to the pavement. He claims to have known exactly what it was before turning around to look. I believe him. Seems to me that, on a level surface with a motorcycle parked in neutral, an intentional or even unintentional nudge forward might be enough to do the same.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Nah...I'm just messin...I have this mental image of this ridiculous filthy push mower that you are running your 'experiment' on.

·
Registered
418 Posts
It's actually only 4 years old! I bought it when I built my house, then bought a Husqvarna riding mower. Pushing all of my yard took over 4 hours, riding takes just 1. I would like to get an old mower just to blow it up LOL.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, I always park it in gear, that is sage advice.

So far one person has commented that the straight-up parking for storage doesn't matter, with another few alluding to "flat-spots" otherwise. So safe to assume that this doesn't matter for the FZ09? Trying to be be very clear about this so that others will learn the proper way of storing their bikes as well.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Yes, I always park it in gear, that is sage advice.

So far one person has commented that the straight-up parking for storage doesn't matter, with another few alluding to "flat-spots" otherwise. So safe to assume that this doesn't matter for the FZ09? Trying to be be very clear about this so that others will learn the proper way of storing their bikes as well.
Reading all the replies....no one said that straight up parking doesn't matter. You asked for advice on how to store a bike in an underground parking garage....not the "proper" way of storing a bike. The proper way of storing a bike for a long winter is on a front and a rear stand,....indoors where there is heat and on a battery tender. But you can't do that in a parking garage. Something tells me that you are bound and determined to park it on that Pit Bull stand and hope for the best. Good luck. Parking garages is where the bike thieves look for bikes to steal. They roll up in a van....pick the whole bike up...and throw it in the van. What good will your disc lock do you then? Forget about flat spots. They will disappear in 10 miles just like previous posters said.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Reading all the replies....no one said that straight up parking doesn't matter. You asked for advice on how to store a bike in an underground parking garage....not the "proper" way of storing a bike. The proper way of storing a bike for a long winter is on a front and a rear stand,....indoors where there is heat and on a battery tender. But you can't do that in a parking garage. Something tells me that you are bound and determined to park it on that Pit Bull stand and hope for the best. Good luck. Parking garages is where the bike thieves look for bikes to steal. They roll up in a van....pick the whole bike up...and throw it in the van. What good will your disc lock do you then? Forget about flat spots. They will disappear in 10 miles just like previous posters said.
I suppose the question I should be asking is "why would someone store their bike up-right on both stands? Especially an FZ09?". And this is just for general knowledge.

I don't want to come across like I'm not taking your advice, indeed I've already taken the bike off the pit bull and have it on the side-stand with the steering locked, etc. You are right in that this is much safer!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts