Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since buying this bike in 2016 I’ve enjoyed fabricating my own parts. A seat cowl eluded me until a few weeks back when I finally decided to have a crack. I’m pretty happy with the result. Sorry for the sore necks everyone...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,015 Posts
Nice work BBH!
There's nothing better than actually fabricating and painting stuff because it makes your bike truly unique.
The quality of your work makes it that much nicer.

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
3,308 Posts
Yes very impressive, so how's it attached to the seat?
i’m guessing he must have drilled through to the nut that normally holds the seat strap (on the inside of the seat base)...

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Moto26 is correct. I drilled a 6mm hole thru the seat to access the grab strap anchor point. I really struggled, morally, with drilling these two holes but figured that if I ever take the cowl off I can put the strap back on and it will cover the holes.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is a thing of beauty there!
Can you show pics of the back side? I'm curious of how the tail light looks (there I go again asking for pictures of the rear end)
That is a thing of beauty there!
Can you show pics of the back side? I'm curious of how the tail light looks (there I go again asking for pictures of the rear end)
I don’t have one of the finished product but here’s one during the build.

·
Registered
2018 MT 09
928 Posts
Moto26 is correct. I drilled a 6mm hole thru the seat to access the grab strap anchor point. I really struggled, morally, with drilling these two holes but figured that if I ever take the cowl off I can put the strap back on and it will cover the holes.
I was just trying to imagine what you screwed it into. I would have waffled on making that choice to drill too. I thinking maybe an application for a rivnut or something

·
Registered
659 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Solid work there - estimate of $$$ and hours spent?
Did you do the initial lay-up directly on the seat?
In total I spent $90AU. From start to finish, not including drying times, my actual labour hours were probably around the 10 hours mark to get it ready to paint. I should say that I am an ex panel beater with contacts in the industry so I was able to get it painted for free. I did lay the fibreglass directly on the seat and foam mould. I wrapped the entire seat in many layers of cling wrap ( plastic food wrap ) before starting. I then put duct tape over the foam mould and seat, applied a few good layers of wax to aid removal and went for it. The big mistake I made was buying woven fibre glass matting instead of chopped fibreglass matting. It was really difficult to get the woven sheets to follow the contours and sit down where I wanted it. I used three layers but the reinforced with strips laid in criss cross directions on the inside of the mould.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts