Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So its time to upgrade my old (and probably out of spec) beam style torque wrench

with a clicker type. Of course I looked at snap on first but I'm definitely not dropping the dough. What do you guys think of a simple Craftsman clicker like THIS one? How about this Tekton one? For our bikes, should I be looking at a 3/8" or would a 1/2" be more useful?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Ditched my harbor freight one cuz I screwed up and left it set. I was never quite confident of its quality and accuracy. Craftsman's latest iteration has bad reviews and is made in China. Here is the one I bought. Made in America. Used it to install the Akra and it was solid.

http://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-85...=1430585279&sr=8-1&keywords=Gear+wrench+85052

Unless I missed something 3/8 will cover more than any other size. Especially the lower torques as the 1/2 does not go down low enough in most cases.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have the craftsman 1/2" that goes from 20-150 ft - lbs (I think) I like it pretty well and I have a 1/2" to 3/8" converter for it to get the smaller stuff. I also have a beam style one for the smaller torques.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 5 S using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Snap on tools can be found pretty cheap on eBay .I would look there before ruling them out due to price

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Snap on tools can be found pretty cheap on eBay .I would look there before ruling them out due to price
That was the first thing I checked actually. Still they run $100 + whatever it would cost me to get it calibrated. Not saying it is a bad deal, but I was hoping to keep the costs around $50 or below. Honestly, it won't get much use.

snap on torque wrench 3/8 | eBay

Anyone have anything to say about that Tekton one? I know the quality wont compare to something like a snap on, but it is the #1 seller with a great rating on amazon

Reactions: Crosshairs

·
Registered
208 Posts
I've had a craftsman clicker 3/8" drive one for a few years that does 20-100 lb ft. I also have a 3/8" one that does like 25-250 inch lbs. Both work great!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I have a 3/8" Craftsman clicker and a 1/2" beam torque wrench for bigger fasteners. I figure when the numbers get over 85 ft. lbs. the beam wrench is close enough.

·
Registered
218 Posts
My friend has the Tekton that's in inch pounds. He likes it and is about to order the one you're looking at.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool, thanks for all the replies!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Beam type torque wrenches tend to be the most accurate, and least susceptible to going out of cal. I spent a couple years cal'ing the things...

So its time to upgrade my old (and probably out of spec) beam style torque wrench

with a clicker type. Of course I looked at snap on first but I'm definitely not dropping the dough. What do you guys think of a simple Craftsman clicker like THIS one? How about this Tekton one? For our bikes, should I be looking at a 3/8" or would a 1/2" be more useful?

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
If anyone here has an "inch pounds" type wrench and you would like a conversion chart to "foot pounds", PM me with your email address and I'll send you a Microsoft Excel spread sheet that converts inch lbs to foot lbs that you can print out and hang out in your garage for quick reference.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts