Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2018 XSR900 - 1998 T509 Speed Triple - 2014 KX250F
8 Posts
Tire threads are like oil threads. Every rider is going to have different needs and preferences. I wore the OEM S20's out in 1400 miles, and I put the S22's on because they are a really sticky street tire for $220/set. I don't anticipate they'll last me more than 1500 miles. I would expect the same mileage from Conti Sport Attacks, maybe 2k from Road Attacks. I ride Advanced group at the track, and most of my street rides are fast-paced group mountain rides. I'd prefer a set of hypersport tires over touring tires every time, because grip is more important to me than miles. All that said, I believe the Bridgestone S22 to be the absolute best bang for the buck right now for the riding I do.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Tire threads are like oil threads. Every rider is going to have different needs and preferences. I wore the OEM S20's out in 1400 miles, and I put the S22's on because they are a really sticky street tire for $220/set. I don't anticipate they'll last me more than 1500 miles. I would expect the same mileage from Conti Sport Attacks, maybe 2k from Road Attacks. I ride Advanced group at the track, and most of my street rides are fast-paced group mountain rides. I'd prefer a set of hypersport tires over touring tires every time, because grip is more important to me than miles. All that said, I believe the Bridgestone S22 to be the absolute best bang for the buck right now for the riding I do.
Yeah but what oil do you use and what's your chain tension set to? ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Cycle Gear does their homework. The discounted install ($25 per) charged with tires bought from them always comes in about the same as full price install ($50 per) of online direct to me tires. A toss. And I think I am going with the Dunlop Roadsmart 3s. They have universally great reviews, and with the Roadsmart 4s coming out, the prices are getting very attractive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The OEM Battlax S20 tires were fine, but mileage was not particularly stellar. As I find myself on the Interstates for good stretches in between curvy back roads, a dual compound sport touring (rear) tire is what really I need. I have narrowed the choices down to the new Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart III, or the Michelin Pilot Road 4. Past experience with Dunlops on previous bikes has been excellent, but I have friends who really think the Michelins are top choice. Price-wise, between $50 -100 more for a set of Michelins.

Best online sources? (I hear most online sources are all really backed up with shipments because of the Wuhan Flu epidemic.)
I've never used those Dunlop tires but have liked my experience on the PR4S. I was getting close to 10k miles commuting with them before time to change them. The Dunlop Q3s would last 2-3k at most and start squaring off at the compound transition.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts