Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The OEM Battlax S20 tires were fine, but mileage was not particularly stellar. As I find myself on the Interstates for good stretches in between curvy back roads, a dual compound sport touring (rear) tire is what really I need. I have narrowed the choices down to the new Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart III, or the Michelin Pilot Road 4. Past experience with Dunlops on previous bikes has been excellent, but I have friends who really think the Michelins are top choice. Price-wise, between $50 -100 more for a set of Michelins.

Best online sources? (I hear most online sources are all really backed up with shipments because of the Wuhan Flu epidemic.)

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
1,818 Posts
They just announced the new Dunlop Roadsmart IV, if you can wait. Not sure when they’ll be available to purchase. I get it, I’m a Dunlop guy. As much as I hear about how great Michelins are, I’ve never ridden on one I liked as much as the equivalent Dunlop... 💁🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
298 Posts
As I find myself on the Interstates for good stretches in between curvy back roads, a dual compound sport touring (rear) tire is what really I need.

Best online sources? (I hear most online sources are all really backed up with shipments because of the Wuhan Flu epidemic.)
I agree that a sport touring tire would suit your needs, I mostly use Bridgestone and Pirelli but its all personal choice. Most of the recent tires available will offer good performance and decent longevity depending on how you ride.
I order stuff online regularly and haven't experienced any shipping delays, I even ordered something from the U.K. last week and it was at my door within 3 days.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They just announced the new Dunlop Roadsmart IV, if you can wait. Not sure when they’ll be available to purchase. I get it, I’m a Dunlop guy. As much as I hear about how great Michelins are, I’ve never ridden on one I liked as much as the equivalent Dunlop... 💁🏻‍♂️
That makes me think it might be worth the wait. These OEM skins are good enough to get me through the fall, (avoiding super wet conditions), but that will be the end. I wonder what they actually updated given the Roadsmart III was a complete redesign (profile, bias, bead, compounds, etc)? Well. We'll see. Good also to hear deliveries are getting back to normal for most outlets.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I feel like a voice in the wilderness but here goes again. Best tire no one knows about: Metzeler Roadtec 01. Number one choice in this review.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I have a fondness for Pirelli Diablo Rosso III's currently. It's just about time to change, I got 2 rears to 1 front, about 12k miles on the front right now. They work very well in the rain and are lasting pretty well. I may run the old ones one more week if I can't get to swapping this weekend, the rear is starting to square off and experience tells me about 4-500 miles and I'd see the carcass showing through.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Pirelli Angel GT II and the bike became a different one ...
Experiencend it last night again when I rode my sons XSR with the Battlax. And he did confirm it.

·
Registered
218 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
I feel like a voice in the wilderness but here goes again. Best tire no one knows about: Metzeler Roadtec 01. Number one choice in this review.

Not crazy about a review that puts the wrong tires on a large bike then notes it as an issue. Turned me off right away. That said, the Metz is a great tire. The road 5’s are pretty awesome too and get more mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Not crazy about a review that puts the wrong tires on a large bike then notes it as an issue. Turned me off right away. That said, the Metz is a great tire. The road 5’s are pretty awesome too and get more mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Noticed that too especially when the only complaint would likely have been resolved with the GT.

Reactions: dundie

·
Registered
325 Posts
I think i will be going with a set of road 5s myself and thinking of picking them up on fortnine.ca . My local shop quoted me at 385$ for just a rear pilot road 4 plus install .... I can get both road 5s for like an extra 20$

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
1,818 Posts
They could have just save time and said, “Yeah, no. We don’t do tires.”

·
Registered
21 Posts
I purchased Michelin Road 5 Tires from RevZilla and the bike handles better than ever.
Weekend back roads and commuting to work is my primary riding.
Hot days and rainy days have both been no issues on these tires.
Just my 2¢

·
Registered
95 Posts
ContiRoad Attack 3 - wouldn't trust anything else.

Have ran Pilot Road 4's Roadtec 01's, Angel ST/GT, Supercorsa.

Get ~20,000km out of a set on my 600RR, Street Triple R and just got them put on my XSR after the OEM ones were worn.

The Conti's feel like they're on rails in corners, heat up instantly and still feel the same once they're eventually worn down.

Oh, and no scrub in time as they don't use a release agent. Can hit the corners straight away.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts