Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I'm about to move to Boise, ID from San Diego, CA for work in a week, and was wanting to buy an FZ-09 sometime before the spring riding season. I've had my eye on this bike ever since it came out, but have planned to wait to purchase it until after I move. I'm 24, been riding since I was 16 (just sold my 2001 Ducati ST4). I've been thinking I should probably buy a pre-owned from a dealership (although buying new is not out of the question for me). So far my search has yielded ONE used 2014 FZ-09 from one of like 3 dealerships in Boise. They are asking $7699 with 6847 miles. I checked KBB and the suggested retail price is $6140. My first impression was that's a big difference, and the dealership seems to be asking too much ($200 off MSRP new?). I also heard somewhere that buying in the winter is a good idea when you're trying to get a deal. Anybody have advice on how to approach the dealership and try to get the best deal I can? I know there is a lot of research out there, which I have been doing, but I wanted to post on a forum for more specific advice. Here is the link to the advert on the dealership's website. I've never purchased anything from a dealer, and I can't find any used FZ-09's on craigslist, so if you all have advice for trying to get the best deal, please share your wisdom! Thanks

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I'd stick to new if that's in the cards financially. Email and or call Three dealers somewhat near where you're going to live and play them for the best OTD pricing. Unless the used bike is in the $6500 neighborhood plus tax I'd pass.

There are a few prior Threads concerning Pricing and MSRP here. Use the Search box at top of main pg.

Reactions: ktk_ace

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
At $7699 they are smoking crack......some of us paid less than that for a new one

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've got an Orange one, minor scuffing.

Has an Akrapovic Carbon system. 5700 miles comes with ZX10R rear shock (not installed). Will throw in leathers...

$8250

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I've got an Orange one, minor scuffing.

Has an Akrapovic Carbon system. 5700 miles comes with ZX10R rear shock (not installed). Will throw in leathers...

$8250
Why sell now...??? You love that bike.

Reactions: DRX350

·
Registered
154 Posts
Why sell now...??? You love that bike.
haha, If I can get someone who'd actually pay that, I just might.

And yes, I love this bike more than my future baby mama(s), but everything has a price right... LOL

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
You will not be able to register an Idaho FZ-09 in California because 49 state bikes don't have the California mandated EVAP system. The exception to this is if the used bike has more than 7500 miles on it.

In Thailand they sell FZ-09s, not MT-09s, with California emissions equipment on them wearing color matched hand guards.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
haha, If I can get someone who'd actually pay that, I just might.

And yes, I love this bike more than my future baby mama(s), but everything has a price right... LOL
The bigger question is, if you were able to sell it, What would you buy....???

Reactions: DRX350

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Hey Everyone,

I'm about to move to Boise, ID from San Diego, CA for work in a week, and was wanting to buy an FZ-09 sometime before the spring riding season. I've had my eye on this bike ever since it came out, but have planned to wait to purchase it until after I move. I'm 24, been riding since I was 16 (just sold my 2001 Ducati ST4). I've been thinking I should probably buy a pre-owned from a dealership (although buying new is not out of the question for me). So far my search has yielded ONE used 2014 FZ-09 from one of like 3 dealerships in Boise. They are asking $7699 with 6847 miles. I checked KBB and the suggested retail price is $6140. My first impression was that's a big difference, and the dealership seems to be asking too much ($200 off MSRP new?). I also heard somewhere that buying in the winter is a good idea when you're trying to get a deal. Anybody have advice on how to approach the dealership and try to get the best deal I can? I know there is a lot of research out there, which I have been doing, but I wanted to post on a forum for more specific advice. Here is the link to the advert on the dealership's website. I've never purchased anything from a dealer, and I can't find any used FZ-09's on craigslist, so if you all have advice for trying to get the best deal, please share your wisdom! Thanks
2014 Yamaha FZ-09

When you're leaving SD, stop by the Bay and pick this up

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
2014 Yamaha FZ-09

When you're leaving SD, stop by the Bay and pick this up
That's a sweet deal for < $7k. He'd take a bit less. Too bad it's not Red. Then again, if it was Red he'd be asking $9600.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I just found a 2014 in SF with less than 100 miles on it for sale asking 7800. I put $200 non-refundable on it. Guy bought it, wife freaked out. Sound like a good deal? I mean the dealers here are so bad about set-up fees, freight fees and none of them want to lower price at all. At least I don't have to worry about that crap... sorry for hijack, didn't know if it is worth a new thread about it...

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
EVERY Deposit is refundable. Every one. You're Not obligated Until you ride OFF their property. That's the Fact they don't want you to know....

Used bikes should NOT have Any freight or setup charges because the Origional Owner pd those BS Fees. Used bikes sell for a price plus tax and tag.:cool:

·
Registered
320 Posts
EVERY Deposit is refundable. Every one. You're Not obligated Until you ride OFF their property. That's the Fact they don't want you to know....

Used bikes should NOT have Any freight or setup charges because the Origional Owner pd those BS Fees. Used bikes sell for a price plus tax and tag.:cool:
Yeah, I guess my point is that with such low miles it is comparable to a new bike, without the BS fees, still don't know if it is a good deal (for the area, there aren't a ton of options, supply/demand seems off)...

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Yeah, I guess my point is that with such low miles it is comparable to a new bike, without the BS fees, still don't know if it is a good deal (for the area, there aren't a ton of options, supply/demand seems off)...
If it is sold as Used the BS Fees don't apply. If they did it would be Double BS.

It's a Used bike, and any used bike with under 1500 miles is considered like new, but BS fees don't apply. The low miles makes is more desirable. Find out when it was initially Titled because that's the date the Yamaha 1 year warranty begins -- How much time is left...???

·
Registered
320 Posts
If it is sold as Used the BS Fees don't apply. If they did it would be Double BS.

It's a Used bike, and any used bike with under 1500 miles is considered like new, but BS fees don't apply. The low miles makes is more desirable. Find out when it was initially Titled because that's the date the Yamaha 1 year warranty begins -- How much time is left...???
~10 months, 8-9 by the time I have the rest of the cash, I wasn't planning on buying one this week, haha. I'm cash-only for toys, and I was browsing before I was ready. I think 5 weeks I'll have it if I stop starbucks.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
You haven't bought the bike yet Sparker? What dealership is selling the bike? Or is dude with the wife that freaked out selling it privately?

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
IMHO the $7800 is too high for a "used" bike with maybe six weeks left on the Yammy warranty. Keep an eye on CL and Id bet you'll find a few with a bit more mileage that you can buy < $7000.

Others can chime in here.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
The most I've seen for a slightly used FZ up here is $7500, which I think is too much. Around 7k seems reasonable.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
The most I've seen for a slightly used FZ up here is $7500, which I think is too much. Around 7k seems reasonable unless it's Red.
Fixed that for you. Hope you don't mind.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts