Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got 1100 miles on the bike. This thing runs so strong. Loving the bottom and and mid range torque.

I love jack rabbit starts and lifting the front wheel which adds to the rapid wear. As a result the rear skin is just about gone.

I have been running Michelin Pilot Road 2's on my previous bikes but am considering the slightly more expensive PR4's.

Curious if any of you have run both 2's and 4's? Would love to hear your thoughts on how the new 4's stack up against the 2's.

Ride safe fellas.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Got 1100 miles on the bike. This thing runs so strong. Loving the bottom and and mid range torque.

I love jack rabbit starts and lifting the front wheel which adds to the rapid wear. As a result the rear skin is just about gone.

I have been running Michelin Pilot Road 2's on my previous bikes but am considering the slightly more expensive PR4's.

Curious if any of you have run both 2's and 4's? Would love to hear your thoughts on how the new 4's stack up against the 2's.

Ride safe fellas.
1100 miles! How long should tires last if the bike is ridden at a commuter pace? I don't want to be replacing my tires 3-4 times a year.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Got 3K or so from my S20. Conti Motion now. Not a track tire but so far so good. No issues with traction on dry, have not ran them in the rain yet...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Mine lasted to 2.5k which was right at the wear mark. I did a mixture of canyon and mountain roads and commuting. I put a set of PR4s on and I have about 200 on them. They are smoother and the rear should make 8-10k. The ride is a lot better especially with 2 up and they handle corners really well. I would expect the front to last at least a year based 20% better than the PR3s and the rear will depend on the type of riding. I'm hoping for 6-8k of commuting and day trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't panic guys! I will splain.

I did the firm break in profile. No highway cruising and mostly 2nd and 3rd gear twisties. The road I spent the most time on is up on top of the ridgeline. The pavement is pretty coarse and in some places down right nasty rough.

It is mostly corners so you are almost always turning. So combine coarse pavement, lots of turns, 2nd and 3rd gear mostly, and firmly on the gas exiting the corners and you can wear out a rear tire in short order.

The front tire is still in pretty good shape but I won't mix tires so when I replace the rear the front gets changed too.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Mixing compounds?

In the past (distant pass as far as tire development goes lol) I liked to change sport tires as matched sets. On this forum I asked about mixing tires, was told it is ok. When the stock rear Bridgestone is worn out I might replace both though and after that replace individually.

I'm thinking about mixing compounds, get a rear that has the center compound a bit firm for long wear, sticky sides, and for the front get a uni compound sticky tire, so I always have max traction there for emergency braking.

Has anyone here tried that?

·
Registered
206 Posts
My stock Dunlop d216 rear is at the wear bars at 3400km (errmm....1900 miles)
Heard very good things about the pr4, but I'm wondering if they are going to get away from the weird wear pattern of the pr3's...

I'm going with these: Metzeler Tourance Next Front Tire - Canada's Motorcycle
with the amount of salt, gravel, dust and other shit laying around the streets of Calgary, this should be a decent compromise

1 - 12 of 12 Posts