Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Busted my Ermax 25.

Thinking about trying the Puig this time.

Would love to hear from those who have ridden with both the short (Sport) and also the tall (Touring) models so as to make a comparison.

The turbulence off the Ermax would hit me about my arm pits and am guessing the short Puig would bee about the same.

I am wondering about where the turbulence zone would be on the tall Puig. Thinking perhaps the mid helmet area?

If you are just speculating, please don't respond. I just want first hand intel from those who have actually ridden with the Puig.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
How did you bust the Ermax?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Can I ask you for your mounting brackets if you still have them and dont need them??? I'd like to fab up my own screen and some pre-made brackets would be a good start. (i'll cover shipping of course) :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't know about the Puig but the MRA Variotouringscreen "NVT" works great for me. I bought this in smoke gray when we still had 90 degree temps out and it was way to hot to ride with, so I pulled it back off. (all of 4 minutes to do so) It's back on my bike now and works great for defecting the wind to different levels on your body and helmet. The only time I feel turbulence is when I'm behind autos. It was a great investment for the cooler weather, hand guards are next!!

MRA VarioTouringScreen Windshield for Yamaha FZ-09 '14 - TwistedThrottle.com

·
Registered
101 Posts
Puig in short version makes the wind hit your shoulder and helmet.

Since there's only 2 inches difference with the tall version, I would say wind will hit mostly helmet.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I am wondering about where the turbulence zone would be on the tall Puig. Thinking perhaps the mid helmet area?

If you are just speculating, please don't respond. I just want first hand intel from those who have actually ridden with the Puig.
Have you looked at the Puig wind tunnel simulations to give you an idea of the difference ? http://www.puigusa.com/descargas/PUIG17953.pdf I have not owned both, just the touring model. When upright, the airflow hits the shoulders , neck , helmet. When you lean forward the stream glides more over just the helmet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've got the "touring" Puig and I really like it. Hits my about mid helmet. Gets most of the pressure off your chest. I've had it on the bike for about 4k miles now.

zachandmybike.jpg

·
Registered
730 Posts
Same for me....

Puig in short version makes the wind hit your shoulder and helmet.

Since there's only 2 inches difference with the tall version, I would say wind will hit mostly helmet.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have the Puig touring screen. I'm 5'9... When sitting upright, the wind hits me at the neck. If leaning a bit foward, then its directed at the helmet.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have the Puig Touring Screen at 5'6" tall and it hits me right at the top of my visor.... Jetting wind in around the seals.... I hated it so I took it off. Going to try and custom mod it.

I also have the massive Ermax Touring Screen (24 inches tall.. No joke) and today is caused a crazy front end wobble when I hit 90mph.... I took it off when I got back home.

Back to the drawing board.... Good luck if you go that route. See if u can borrow someone's and go for a ride, before u waste ur money.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ever had any windshield induced front end wobble at speed?
I have, but only in the triple digit speeds. It was a slight wobble, went away once throttle was lifted. I don't like going over 100 much on a naked bike so the shield is great for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts