Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Richard and I finally hooked up yesterday for a fun ride. He lives in Santa Maria and I live in Santa Barbara.

We met up at the Big Bopper for a burger in the sleepy little Swedish town of Solvang. After some chow and eye balling each others steed we buttoned and zipped up all the gear and headed north toward twisty central.

The sun had popped out after the morning marine layer dissipated so it was clear sailing. Spring time on the South Central coast is a great time for riding. The hills are awash in green and accented with numerous multi colored wild flowers.

We wound our way north on pretty much deserted roads passing by several wineries and farms. Eventually we made it to Tepusquet road. It is a really fun road with enough turns to satisfy the most ardent knee dragger. As you approach the top of the mountain and descend down the back side its like a low speed Laguna Seca with tons of tight 2nd and 3rd gear smile inducing turns. It reminds me of the Mulholland snake minus all the weekend crazies. We never saw a car on it, just a few of those pesky road hogging cyclists. Lol.

After a short break at the bottom of the backside we headed west on the really fast hiway 166 into Santa Maria. Richard turned to head back to the barn and I swung left on Foxxen canyon and eventually hiway 154 towards home.

I decided to make a quick stop at the Paradise store where I ran into Speed Triple Tony. Enjoyed some pit race talk and a cold brew then took the twisty way home.

Put in a total of about 180 miles to bring the odometer up to 1866 total miles on the Rapid Red one.

Cheated death once again.... but don't tell anyone!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Took that run in '08 with a group from SLO. Wet leaves in the turns made for some B-P moments. We stopped at a very fine motorcycle museum in Solvang. Is that establishment still in business? I'm headed west to see the Independence Day fireworks in Morro Bay (marine layer permitting). Maybe get some GSXR time in PR wine country . . .

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Took that run in '08 with a group from SLO. Wet leaves in the turns made for some B-P moments. We stopped at a very fine motorcycle museum in Solvang. Is that establishment still in business? I'm headed west to see the Independence Day fireworks in Morro Bay (marine layer permitting). Maybe get some GSXR time in PR wine country . . .
As far as U know the museum is still there. I have never been inside, just peeked in the window.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Tim, thanks for posting on our ride. Tim's a good guy and I'm was glad to finally meet him. We switch bike at one point and that pointed out some weaknesses on my bike. Both of our forks are stock. However, my forks are softer which to me is unsettling. I may send the forks to Nick soon then I wanted to. He has PR2's and the bike felt very planted. The other weakness, I need to bleed the front breaks.

·
Registered
474 Posts
We switch bike at one point and that pointed out some weaknesses on my bike. Both of our forks are stock. However, my forks are softer which to me is unsettling.
Why would your forks be softer ? Did you compare preload and dampening settings?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why would your forks be softer ? Did you compare preload and dampening settings?
That's a bit of a head scratcher. Richard's preload adjusters are all the way in, full stiff. Mine are mid way.

My dampening is full in for stiffest setting. Don't know what his is.

His bike is an earlier VIN number than mine. Don't know if they changed some internals on the forks.

His rear ride height was taller than mine which may cause a more forward weight bias than mine. I did notice his steering was a little quicker than mine.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Rebound is max out. It does not make sense. When I tried to set the fork sag, adjusting the preload had no effect on the sag.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts