Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can use some advice? I ride in trafic a lot and my left hand gets real sore from the clutch. Is there anything I can do to make the clutch lever softer?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
You might be able to move the lever mount a bit further from the grip, and/or your hand a bit further to the end of the grip, to give yourself more leverage.

Maybe someone knows of a lever that has an easier shape?

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
I don't know that there's really much you can do about that... It's just the nature of the beast, riding in traffic. Ride a Warrior with upgraded clutch springs for a while, and the clutch on this bike will feel light as a feather :cool:

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
make sure the lever is adjusted properly in both distance from the grip and angle of rotation around the handlebar.

when you are sitting on the bike and squeezing the lever your wrist should be fairly straight with only a slight bend. this is the position that works best for most people.

if your hands are small you may need adjustable levers ($40 on ebay) to move the lever closer to the grip and change the angle.

if yoou don't know how to adjust it take it to a shop and ask them to show you. most will do it for free.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Pazzo Racing - Performance Sportbike Custom Levers

I posted a link for Pazzo brand, but there are others. I've even bought the Chinese ones from ebay. They work, as long as your careful abouttu fitting them.

They help a lot. I have large hands and stock levers feel too close to the bars, for me. I for sure recommend an adjustable lever. We dont get this in stock form. The only adjustment t we have is for cable free play, which is really not an adjustment...its more of a setting.

Its a big advantage to place the lever exactly where you want it in relation to distance from the grip. You'll like it. If someone posts advise abotu decreasing tension on your cable, and usually someoen will, dont do it. You want the cable adjustor we have there already to be adjusted like this. Enough freeplay to let a nickle coin slide between the lever and perch. Thats it. You can add slightly more if you want, maybe two coins width, but dont get carried away. Also, dont try to run with no play.

I like the idea about cleaning and lubing the pivot point. Its a spot that gets neglected, and it reminded me its been a while since I've cleaned mine. I use that super sticky Honda Moly lube.

·
Registered
962 Posts
You can get levers with adjustable leverage, or get a clutch easy pull system if you like the stock levers. Once you have the clutch disengaged - it shouldn't be hard to hold it. Try adjusting all of the slack out of the cable and see if it is easier to hold it disengaged that way. If it's just for shifting (and not holding the clutch in) - then try shifting differently. Dip the throttle and only pull the clutch in enough to allow you to ship. With a dip in throttle, you don't need much clutch to do a smooth shift...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts