Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experience pain in their thumb from riding their fz09? Im not sure what initially caused it but i have had it for a while now, possibly since i have started riding more. If i dont ride for a few days, it seems to get better but then the day I ride, its back. It hurts to bend it or use it for simple tasks. It doenst hurt to push on it like a bruise so im guessing it s pulled muscle. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I suppose i could give it rest and hope it gets better but living in wisconsin i dont really want to give up a few weeks of riding. ;)

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I don't have any issues, how tight are your gloves? How much padding do they have in the wrist?

Is your thumb going numb?

Sent from my phone and my autocorrect sucks

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Pain? Yes. Thumb. No. Arse? Yes.

Reactions: tedbot

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i dont think they are very tight but they are not loose either. I think they fit rather well. There is not much wrist padding at all. These are pretty much the same gloves i have.
glove.jpg

·
Registered
150 Posts
I sometimes will get cramped up after my hand has held the same position for a while on the bike (i.e. cruising along or on the highway), but I don't specifically get thumb pain though. I had the same issue on my old 600RR so it's not something I am really concerned with, I think it's just me and not the bike lol.

I've also noticed that I tend to grip the throttle on the 09 a little more tightly than I did my 600RR because of how twitchy the fueling can be... me making an effort to keep things more smooth with it. I think that's also contributing to my hands cramping up from time to time.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Has anyone experience pain in their thumb from riding their fz09? Im not sure what initially caused it but i have had it for a while now, possibly since i have started riding more. If i dont ride for a few days, it seems to get better but then the day I ride, its back. It hurts to bend it or use it for simple tasks. It doenst hurt to push on it like a bruise so im guessing it s pulled muscle. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I suppose i could give it rest and hope it gets better but living in wisconsin i dont really want to give up a few weeks of riding. ;)
If your not leaning to much on your hands or gripping to tight, you might want to look at how your levers are positioned in relation to your forearm and wrist............. I am a avid mountain biker and we spend a lot of time setting up our handlebar controls to minimize wrist and hand pain. I can spend up to 3-4 hours on the trail get bashed around pretty good and not have any discomfort.
A good rule of thumb would be that the levels are on the same angle as your forearms so your wrists are not bent.
You may want to surf the net and search "mountain bike handle bar set up" for some ideas.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Tight gloves cause that mostly. Try with another glove to see the difference.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
make sure the handlebars and levers are adjusted correctly for your body.

If you don't know what correct is, go to a decent MC shop and ask them to help you with it. They should do it for free or they are a-holes.

Trying a different pair of gloves might help

Relaxing your grip is good

Flexing your hands every few minutes helps relax your grip and increases blood flow through the hands.

Make sure your elbows are bent a little and you are not riding with your elbows locked as that puts too must strain on your wrists.

Try weighting your pegs by pushing down on the pegs a little all the time and not just resting your feet on the pegs.
Weighting the pegs give lots of advantages:
1) Tends to tense up the muscles in your lower back and stomach so they handle the weight of your body instead of the weight transferring on and off your wrists
2) Connects you to the bike better as pushing down with your feet tends to push your knees into the tank which connects you to the bike better than trying to hold on with your hands.
3) Handlebars are for control inputs and not for hanging onto the bike. Your butt and legs hold you onto the bike.

·
Registered
141 Posts
If your not leaning to much on your hands or gripping to tight, you might want to look at how your levers are positioned in relation to your forearm and wrist............. I am a avid mountain biker and we spend a lot of time setting up our handlebar controls to minimize wrist and hand pain. I can spend up to 3-4 hours on the trail get bashed around pretty good and not have any discomfort.
A good rule of thumb would be that the levels are on the same angle as your forearms so your wrists are not bent.
You may want to surf the net and search "mountain bike handle bar set up" for some ideas.
This. Also learn to relax your grip - too tight a grip will actually worsen any throttle snatching as bumps will be transmitted more to the throttle, as well as maybe causing your thumb pain.

Sent via Tapatalk.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts