Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've finally broke down and ordered a Throttlemeister throttle lock for the FZ. I've had them on many bikes that I purchased used, but never bought a new one. If you guys knew me, you'd know how cheap I am. For me to actually pay $136 for a throttle lock, is a glowing testament!:D

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
so i've seen a few for like $15 - what makes this one worth the extra dinero?

·
Registered
833 Posts
The Throttlemeister is a weighted bar end(2) that puts pressure on the grip. So you have matching bar ends. High quality item. I had it on my last bike, but very rarely used it, as I didn't really do much super slab riding. (was already on bike when I purchased)
Throttlemeister - Home

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What he said. I have a 100 mile commute, three days a week. These work really well. The throttle stays where you left it, it doesn't slowly loose speed like some do. If moths fly out of my wallet, there's a reason!

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I am thinking of ordering a Throttlemeister as well, for those longer rides on the highway. A guy I work with has a set on his SV1000 and says they are worth their weight in gold. He suggests to go with the heavy size, which is bigger and easier to operate while riding. Especially if you have thicker gloves on, plus the heavy size is a better bar end weight.

I have looked at them and they are worth the money. Very well made, made right in Milwaukee and not some cheap plastic crap imported from China.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I've used throttlemeisters on my previous FZ1 and now on the FZ09 and I have a similar throttle lock bar end from someone else on my BMW R1100RT.

I like them a lot. They are still doing the job of the bar end weight (helping deaden handlebar vibrations) and they look and work good.

I have purchased mine used but if I did not have one handy, I would have bought one from Throttlemeister for the FZ09.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was on the fence about which one to get. I did a mental list of all the previous bikes with the Throttlemeister installed, and went for the standard. I cross hands for engagement, using my left. Sometimes I'll go a long ways without using it, but when I have to take a break with my right, it's there. It's so overlooked, considering I've probably had it on maybe 10 bikes, all purchased used. I've got almost 10k on the FZ, and haven't lavished it with gifts in a while!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've got probably about 500 miles on the throttlemeister, and I have to say I'm very pleased. It took a while to get the washer stack correct. The lock has to be shimmed correctly to engage with the end of the throttle when in use, but not contact it when retracted. I'm not constantly holding the throttle, giving my hands and wrist a break. You guys with vibration complaints could try this. The down side is no bar end mirrors or hand guards could be used with this setup.
Throttlemeister

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've got probably about 500 miles on the throttlemeister, and I have to say I'm very pleased. It took a while to get the washer stack correct. The lock has to be shimmed correctly to engage with the end of the throttle when in use, but not contact it when retracted. I'm not constantly holding the throttle, giving my hands and wrist a break. You guys with vibration complaints could try this. The down side is no bar end mirrors or hand guards could be used with this setup.
Throttlemeister
Well, not yet! Throttlemeister has adapted to work w/ hand guards in the past, IIRC (BMW?) - here's hoping they do the same for the F Zed

·
Super Moderator
4,452 Posts
As I rarely ever ride a straight road for more than a quarter of a mile, I have no need for a throttle lock.
However, there was a time when I did use an o-ring between the bar end and grip as a "budget" cruise control.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Secret's Out: For those still having throttle-twitch issues, the adjustability of this bar end really simplifies your ride as it can be set anywhere between slight resistance and full lock.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Just installed the Kaoko and love it. Had Throttlemeister on my Tiger and some cheap thumbswitch lock on my last bike (didn't hold the throttle in place). The Throttlemeister was okay, but if you buy one, get the machine notches. That provides a bit more grip for turning it. I had handguards of mine on the Tiger and had to drill and tap in a 1/2" dia. brass knob to grip it for rotation. That's what I like better on the Kaoko is the large access wheel for easy turning. Both controls are priced at $136, so no cost difference. The Kaoko is top quality, as is the Throttlemeister, but the Kaoko is really easy to install. I definitely rate it the better of the two.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts