Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just today I noticed the throttle grip "wiggles" in and out away from the controls and that there's a washer or spacer if some sort between the grip and the controls. No issues with throttle control, but wondering if this is normal. My previous bike didn't have this much play or wiggle.

JW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have a considerable amount of play in mine to. End to end, I have already adjusted the cable slack out.

·
Registered
251 Posts
This is normal. A grip change can fix this sometimes, alternatively, place a small plastic "washer" in where the trhottle tube is clamped to the bars, this will eliminate most of it.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Same here too..

·
Registered
96 Posts
My $20 superbike progrips got rid of the sideways movement completely by accident as they are gel grips and stretch if you want them too - I got the grips cause they feel nice, the sideways movement elimination was a nice value-add!

·
Registered
226 Posts
You want a little play. If there wasn't any play the throttle tube would drag from the grip rubbing.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's normal, the owners manual calls for a few mm in play
Thanks, there is a spacer or washer that appears to be plastic in the space too. It was seeing that wiggle when riding that caught my attention, not so much the play in the grip.

I'll just keep on riding it!

JW

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
The plastic washer keeps the rubber grip from dragging on the throttle housing, which could cause the throttle to stick.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
To be clear folks, this is not about throttle cable adjustment to remove the rotational movement of the grips to open the throttle. This is about the grips sliding laterally, along the length of the handlebar, towards and away from the thumb controls. (Assuming I'm reading the OP correctly)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts