Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Vendor
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we all know the fz09 throttle can be touchy, its a combination of things contributing to it and no one thing gets completely rid of it but I have worked hard on the flash to minimize it.

when I built my throttle maps, I decide to take advantage of having three throttle modes and make three distinct throttles

a very agressive throttle
a linear throttle
a very tame throttle

I have now flashed a lot of fz09's with mostly great feedback, a lot of the feedback depends on the riding you do, most guys that get to really stretch the 9's legs and ride it aggresively most of the time have enjoyed the flash the most. The guys that get stuck in city and heavy traffic still find the throttle abrupt, but almost all have said b mode is great for the city riding.

The beauty of building three distinct throttle modes is they none of them have compromises. They are all built for there own purpose. A mode to kick ass and take names, std mode to corner aggressively, and b mode was for me a reduced traction but for those that get stuck in heavy traffic or in the city this should be the mode your using in that enviroment.

I have slowed down the initial throttle a couple times on the a and std mode but in the end I can not make a throttle that is a hybrid b mode and a mode, I could make a hybrid b mode and std but at some point to even do that I am going to have to give more aggresive throttle then you are asking for to catch back up. Then I feel like I am compromising the whole entire reason I made it the way i did.

So I guess my point is no one throttle is going to be perfect for everyone, but I think with the three throttles built you should be able to find a throttle that excells for the situation you are in so please use that little mode button and get all out of the flash it has to offer.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I wouldn't ask you to change a thing. You did great work with all three modes. You can't please all the people all the time. But you pleased the majority of us. Well done Sir! Keep up the good work.

·
Vendor
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How about a mode for cruising the highway, with the idea of getting high mpg?
the modes do not trigger a different fuel map, but the cruising range does not have much fuel change and effect is minimal, this has been tested by a few people

·
Registered
806 Posts
I can see where people don't like the smooth or std mode with the on & off throttle response. But it is way better than the 2013-14 flash from Yamaha. I do find that I am using B mode in city traffic for just that reason its easier to go slow.

Maybe you should call std mode something other than smooth, not sure what you would call it. But some people your never going to please because the glass is always half empty and they just like to complain. Keep up the great work you have gone above and beyond my expectations !!!

THANKS AGAIN DAVID

·
Registered
260 Posts
the modes do not trigger a different fuel map, but the cruising range does not have much fuel change and effect is minimal, this has been tested by a few people
I have the Stoltec flash on my 2014, and I find I get the best mileage in A mode. B mode, not so great in terms of mpg.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I find that with the flash both the quick turn and smooth modes are smoothed out enough to make the bike use able in heavy traffic on a commuter. I love the setup Dave has listed in the OP with those 3 modes. Best of all worlds.

·
Vendor
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the Stoltec flash on my 2014, and I find I get the best mileage in A mode. B mode, not so great in terms of mpg.
no ones flash can load a different fuel map for the different modes, so I am not sure where the difference could be coming from. Timing changes can be made mode specific I guess that might do it but I cant imagine that causing much difference

·
Registered
654 Posts
I have dave's flash with A as quick turn, STD as smooth, and B as low traction. I also have the G2 throttle tamer installed and have gone +1 on the front sprocket. the only jerkiness I feel in my throttle is if I go completely closed then open. I still need to adjust a lot of the slack out of my throttle cables and hoping that eliminates this. His smooth mode is smoother than the 2014 factory B mode.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I have the Stoltec flash, and Kev's O2 controller. To be honest, I have forgotten about the mode switch all together. Nick set my bike to start up in A mode, and that's all I use.

Reactions: MoFZio and DNFDOUG

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm picking up a low mileage 2014 tomorrow, with a Yoshimura full system and power commander installed.
I'm coming from a 2000 Kawasaki ZR-7 (carbs) so throttle response is something that will be totally new for me.
I'm a little nervous about the twitchy throttle this bike has a reputation for. I'm guessing this is something you can fix with this flash? How much would I be looking at to get it done, and what's the turnaround time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I'm picking up a low mileage 2014 tomorrow, with a Yoshimura full system and power commander installed.
I'm coming from a 2000 Kawasaki ZR-7 (carbs) so throttle response is something that will be totally new for me.
I'm a little nervous about the twitchy throttle this bike has a reputation for. I'm guessing this is something you can fix with this flash? How much would I be looking at to get it done, and what's the turnaround time?

Don't worry -- Just examine the bike and pay special attention to the owner, his car, and even how he keeps his garage....

Regarding ownership of the (potentially) bucking bronco, your left wrist dictates ultimate throttle control....you'll quickly use your head & you'll be fine.:cool:

For about $200 you improve on what you're buying.

Reactions: MrsZR7

·
Registered
204 Posts
"Throttle respect" is something I've had since day one. Don't whack the throttle open, and you'll be a lot less likely to get the crap scared out of you.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
"Throttle respect" is something I've had since day one. Don't whack the throttle open, and you'll be a lot less likely to get the crap scared out of you.

And Get into B mode EVERY Time you get on the FZ for the first few rides if not more....at least until you're comfortable.

·
Registered
852 Posts
MrsZR7 if you are that concerned put it in B mode the minute you fire it up. When your ready for more try Standard. That should take the pressure off.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
MrsZR7 if you are that concerned put it in B mode the minute you fire it up. When your ready for more try Standard. That should take the pressure off.
Great advice!:p

The super exceptionally brilliant members obviously think alike.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts