Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What throttle lock has anyone installed yet? All I've got so far is a wrist rest. On my GS, I've got a Throttlemeister, they work great, but they're pricey. On my SV, I've got a NEB, it's adequate, and inexpensive. I'd probably start out with something like that, because I may want to add bar end mirrors later on. Any inputs?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Spend the money on throttlemeisters!... I'm glad I did... riding 20 miles with no hands is so worth it... now if only there was a way to give your butt a break on a long trip besides standing up enduro style! lol

·
Registered
160 Posts
Spend the money on throttlemeisters!... I'm glad I did... riding 20 miles with no hands is so worth it... now if only there was a way to give your butt a break on a long trip besides standing up enduro style! lol
im going to cali in a month i want to do this for all 700 miles haha

·
Registered
160 Posts
dang those are expensive lol and it seems like it sticks out pretty far, is it farther then the original bard end weight ? and do big bumps in the road affect it ?

·
Registered
155 Posts
150$ saved. Holy shit. I just needed something to get the blood back in my hands after a while.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have done it in the past. The problem with that remedy is that the zip tie tension is on all the time. It gives it the throttle pull of a slide carb, which gets old on long rides.

·
Registered
520 Posts
This may be a newb comment... But could you just tighten up on throttle freeplay untill it sticks and needs to be manually adjusted?

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Freeplay doesnt make the throttle stick, it just reduces slack. It wont have any bearing on the throttles free movement.

ASK ABOUT THE FIZZER CCT KIT

ASK ABOUT THE FIZZER SEAT SNUGGY KIT

·
Registered
520 Posts
Freeplay doesnt make the throttle stick, it just reduces slack. It wont have any bearing on the throttles free movement.

ASK ABOUT THE FIZZER CCT KIT

ASK ABOUT THE FIZZER SEAT SNUGGY KIT
I took all of the freeplay out of my thottle and i went a little too far.. The throttle didnt snap back to zero when i rolled it so i had to loosen it a bit until it did.
I did this while bike was off though... I guess it snaps back when it's on and running still?... Have never tried... My first bike and i never tried on my dirtbike years back.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Basically the throttle will feel the same with the engine running or off, though maybe if there is a lot of friction the engine vibration will help it close. All that is closing it when you take your hand off is the spring at the engine end of the cables.

If the throttle free play adjuster is over tightened it will cause friction, drag. IMO a safety problem and I think it would cause long term wear. When adjusting the cables check that the throttle will still snap closed with the bars straight ahead and full lock to each side.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I took all of the freeplay out of my thottle and i went a little too far.. The throttle didnt snap back to zero when i rolled it so i had to loosen it a bit until it did.
I did this while bike was off though... I guess it snaps back when it's on and running still?... Have never tried... My first bike and i never tried on my dirtbike years back.
Did you replace the grips? If you push the grip too far towards the throttle housing, it can create drag preventing it from returning. Also, if you glued new grips on, the glue can get between the throttle tube and the bars creating drag.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Did you replace the grips? If you push the grip too far towards the throttle housing, it can create drag preventing it from returning. Also, if you glued new grips on, the glue can get between the throttle tube and the bars creating drag.
No sir.. Stock grips, no glue... Just stuck when freeplay adjust was too tight... I never considered the option of it being utilized, and i dont plan on it.. Just thought of it in conjunction with thread.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I have done it in the past. The problem with that remedy is that the zip tie tension is on all the time. It gives it the throttle pull of a slide carb, which gets old on long rides.
I don't understand this point. It would take one hell of a tight zip tie to crush the throttle tube enough to rub on the handle bar adding friction. Can you explain what was happening when you tried this?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
a cheap throttle lock trick we used to do was to get a large circular cross-section o-ring that would snug over the bar end weight. when you needed to 'lock' the throttle, simply roll it over to sit between the bar end and the throttle tube. the friction would be just enough to overcome the throttle return spring. roll it back onto the bar end to disable.

it's a ghetto version of the throttlemeister, in the same way that that zip tie is a ghetto version of the go cruise throttle assist.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts