Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am new here and wanted to share some info that has changed the performance of my FZ09. I was at Deals Gap over the weekend and stopped by Wheeler's Performance in Robbinsville. He was able to reflash my bikes ECU for $225. No more throttle lag! This is the way it should have come from the factory.

If you live in the area or are planning a visit to Deal's Gap I highly recommend stopping by and seeing wheeler. If you don't live in the area find a local shop that can do this for you highly recommend to make your FZ09 the bike Yamaha should have.

Here is info to find Wheelers
Wheelers Performace Motorcycle Parts and Repair located near the Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, Cherohala Skyway, and Moonshiner28. 828-479-4998

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Good to know. I will stop by for a break next time I go. Always good to have a good shop when you go there...

·
Super Moderator
4,353 Posts
Wheeler is a great guy. I've personally witnessed his "drop everything and get you back on the road" customer service several times during rides with friends up that way.
Grabbing rotors off of a junk bike to replace seriously warped rotors on an FJ1100 because my buddy changed brake pads and didn't draw some fluid out of his res. Stupid.
Another knucklehead buddy hand mounted a rear tire on his Bandit 1200 and managed to leave out a spacer. Wheeler milled one from another junk bike and had him back
out the door in an hour. A very spirited ride across the Cherohala Skyway prior to wobbling into Wheelers was very interesting. Now these vignettes may leave you with the
impression that I roll with some sketchy people, but the FJ guy later went on to become a decent shadetree mechanic, a WERA Southeastern D Superbike Champion, an FIM
certified AMA/DMG Tech Inspector and a successful Civil Engineer heading up his own firm. The Bandit guy worked for years as the CNC machinist for Max McCallister at
Traxxion Dynamics. Just goes to show you that even accomplished people can get in a hurry and make mistakes. Rule #1, don't do any real work on your bike the night before
heading out for a four day sport tour. Anyway...Wheeler's is a great shop run by a real deal problem solver and a heck of a good rider. It doesn't surprise me that he has some
flashing expertise. Sorry to hijack your thread with these asides of Ken Wheeler's prowess. Glad you got some relief for your throttle issues.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Hey guys, I am new here and wanted to share some info that has changed the performance of my FZ09. I was at Deals Gap over the weekend and stopped by Wheeler's Performance in Robbinsville. He was able to reflash my bikes ECU for $225. No more throttle lag! This is the way it should have come from the factory.

If you live in the area or are planning a visit to Deal's Gap I highly recommend stopping by and seeing wheeler. If you don't live in the area find a local shop that can do this for you highly recommend to make your FZ09 the bike Yamaha should have.

Here is info to find Wheelers
Wheelers Performace Motorcycle Parts and Repair located near the Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, Cherohala Skyway, and Moonshiner28. 828-479-4998
Heard good things about Wheelers too.....but he couldn't have removed the CPU from your bike ...reflashed it...and installed it back on the bike for $225.00. What was the real cost?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reflash

Heard good things about Wheelers too.....but he couldn't have removed the CPU from your bike ...reflashed it...and installed it back on the bike for $225.00. What was the real cost?
That was the full price removal and installed.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have no doubt that is the full price. I know people from Nashville who cart their bikes 4 hours over to see Ken Wheeler. He does a big tire business as the roads in that area temp you to chew up tires in a hurry.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I had the same experience there as well, he installed a helicoil in my frame so that I could unwire my sub-frame in a damn hard place to get to for drilling. Since then I always stop by when I am in the that neck of the woods. Great guy and now that I know that he can do a reflash I will certainly be making a special trip to see him. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Prob answered before I just didn't see it (or really search it) but is the re flash that is being talked about like an new fuel map? I have only used pc in the past with aftermarket exhaust and is the flash basically the same thing? So the ecu flash is a mapping for the stock exhaust? So if you have the ecu flashed and then proceed to add an exhaust and have a your bike tuned with a map that would render the flash useless correct? Prob asking the question poorly... Sorry and thanks in advance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts