Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you all may know, our bikes have a bit of throttle free play in them. After a long ride today, I compared my FZ to my buddys Hayabusa. His was tight, mine has play.

For a guy that doesn't know how, how do I adjust it to take the free play (aka slack) out?

TIA!

·
Registered
277 Posts
follow your throttle cables from the grip back to around behind the cluster. You'll see a rubber boot over the adjuster on one of the cables. Slide the boot up and you'll see the lock collar and adjuster. Just take up the slack there until the play is gone. But remember to check that the throttle still moves freely at all positions when the bars are turned as well.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Someone on the forum ( think it was triple threat) had to point this out to me too. I kept looking at the cable attachments at the throttle thinking the adjustment had to be there. It's about 8 inches down the cable under the rubber boot. Easy peasy once you find it. Made a big difference.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I tightened my throttle cable up some but didn't want to go too tight. You have to allow free play for the handle bars to turn all the way during parking lot turns. The ECU reflash can really help smooth it out also. This bike seems to have a lot of back lash in the transmission. Don't know if other guys feel the same way or not. I'm talking about on and off the throttle in the lower gears. Anyone?:confused:

·
Registered
657 Posts
I tightened my throttle cable up some but didn't want to go too tight. You have to allow free play for the handle bars to turn all the way during parking lot turns. The ECU reflash can really help smooth it out also. This bike seems to have a lot of back lash in the transmission. Don't know if other guys feel the same way or not. I'm talking about on and off the throttle in the lower gears. Anyone?:confused:
Do you mean chain slack? Every chain drive bike I've ridden has some level of 'back lash' from on and off throttle inputs.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The ecu reflash transforms bikes in this range. Stock bikes have lean and rich spots all through this range to pass noise (rich) and pollution (lean) tests. You start goofing less with the throttle adjustments when its reflashed.

One thign I did on my Ninja, that might work for you guys, is this http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk52/pecanflyboy/Forums/QuickTurnThrottle005.jpg

Now, I knwo this throttle is different, but this mod has worked on al my bikes. It might make low speed throttle inputs harder, but I love the change. No longer have to twist the throttle so far for some action. Great for those of us who have metal and aftermarket modified wrists.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Zero throttle cable freeplay is easy to do and safe to do on the FZ09.

If you are having throttle cable pulling issues with slow speed maneuvers that indicates your throttle cable is installed/routed wrong or over all cable length is too short.

Cable freeplay has nothing to do with slow speed maneuvers except to show that too much freeplay makes slow speed maneuvers harder to do.

I teach this in every MSF class I teach...

Further, if you are twisting the throttle when you turn the handlebars for slow speed maneuvers, then you need to adjust your hand/wrist position as that is incorrect. Correct wrist/hand angle on the throttle should result in almost zero throttle twist as you turn the handlebar.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will have the dealer check it out when I take it in for its first oil change. Cause, you know, warranty. I can handle STD mode fine. It just seems I have to give it a lot of input to get a response. My chain is still tight. And compared to other bikes, this throttle seems like it has a lot of slack. I will have a pro look at it since I am new to the mechanic side of street bikes.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I took a ton of slack out of mine when I first got it, helped a lot. Just be sure to do it with the bike running and test the steering full lock left to right to be sure it's not too tight.

The side to side slack is getting on my nerves. Might have to get the dealer to fix that @ first service.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I took a ton of slack out of mine when I first got it, helped a lot. Just be sure to do it with the bike running and test the steering full lock left to right to be sure it's not too tight.

The side to side slack is getting on my nerves. Might have to get the dealer to fix that @ first service.
Is this normal on FZ-09s? I have the side to side slack too. Will the dealer fix it?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Yeah no throttle on slow speed turns. I thought you needed some play in the cable as specified in manual. Thanks
Yeah, I read that in the manual also but to smooth out the throttle tip in remove all free play. Just test to see the throttle snaps closed freely and doesn't speed the engine up when the handlebars are turned all the way to either side. Makes a big difference. I find mine needs to have the cable tightened every 500 miles even with the lock nut tight. What's up with that?

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I will have the dealer check it out when I take it in for its first oil change. Cause, you know, warranty. I can handle STD mode fine. It just seems I have to give it a lot of input to get a response. My chain is still tight. And compared to other bikes, this throttle seems like it has a lot of slack. I will have a pro look at it since I am new to the mechanic side of street bikes.
Warranty has no effect on basic adjustments ....

·
Registered
962 Posts
I run mine with zero slack also. Any slack at all seems to make it feel somewhat abrupt at slow speeds (going from no gas, to a little, no none...).

·
Premium Member
2,985 Posts
Throttle cable adjustment is just one of many.
It is essential for everyone, no matter what bike, to take the time to make the controls fit you.
I'm talking about controls here, not chain slack, head bearing tension, preload and all the other measured mechanical adjustments that you can pay someone to do.
Clutch cable freeplay, the foot brake pedal, the gear shift lever, the angle of the front brake and clutch lever in relation to your arms and feet are the most basic.
An ergonomically unadjusted bike just ain't fun to ride, not to mention dangerous and uncomfortable.
These tweaks are described in the handbook and super easy to do. You really can't hurt anything and don't expect to do everything in one shot. Little adjustments over time will give you first hand knowledge of what feels best.
The dealer can't do this stuff for you. That would be like taking your woman to some guy "to see what she likes"!

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
Adjusting basic controls is not a warranty related issue. Jeez, if you can learn to ride a bike, you can follow the cable down a few inches, loose the cinch nut, twist the adjuster, tighten the nut back, start the bike, turn the handlebars from side to side, and presto, you are done.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Is this normal on FZ-09s? I have the side to side slack too. Will the dealer fix it?
So you got the same issue with the grip slacking left/right/up/down a lot? Or am I misunderstanding something? Is it worth to start a new thread for a workaround?
Our bikes (in germany) have lots of play in the grip on the handlebar, but with little effort and a small foil we fix it...

Let me know if you face the same, then I´ll post something about it.

Kind Regards
Markus

1 - 20 of 49 Posts