Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I was just out riding and coming home just a few blocks from my place I do a slight wheelie (didn't even hit the balance point) and when I came down the throttle completely died, twisting it did nothing, but the engine was still on... so I turned the ignition off, re-started it and it started working...

anyone know what was up with that? First time it happened, no engine or oil level light or anything before or after.. very odd and just did a search and doesn't seem to have happened to anyone else..

any help diagnosing would be greatly appreciated, bike has < 2k mi

thanks!

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Wow that's scary and whacky, I don't recall hearing of anything like that on an 09.

Maybe something related to the TPS, the throttle position sensor? Loose connection etc?

·
Registered
883 Posts
Check for a 7.5 amp fuse in the fuse box just behind the battery. It's the only one rated at 7.5 amps. If the fuse is the culprit, a spare should be nearby in the same enclosure.

edit: if the engine later ran normally, a fuse shouldn't have been the problem.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmm.. kill switch would kill the engine right? Only thing is engine was on.. I think, maybe I"m remembering wrong and maybe the engine was off? I was kind of panicking but I could've sworn there was a few ticks on the tach.

and redeye yeah, killed the ignition and re-started, was fine after..

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Check the electrical connector on the throttle cable position sensor

·
Registered
149 Posts
Maybe you hand tapped the kill switch, it slides fairly easy so it wouldn't take much to kill the engine
+1
That would be my guess too. Happened to me once (not during a wheelie) and caught me by surprise.

Or it could be the loose ignition key issue, that some have complained about.
Perhaps we should start thinking of a GM like lawsuit, if this key problem continues to arise...

·
Registered
290 Posts
Tilt sensor. Will shutdown fuel pump. Somehow coming down onto the front wheel trip the sensor briefly causing the fuel pump to turn off. When you turned the key off you reset the circuit. Getting better Springs or suspension in the front will help stop this :)

·
Vendor
1,507 Posts
Has the ECU been flashed. I had this issue when I tried to get too aggressive with my fly by wire settings. Same exact thing, stays running throttle does nothing and you cycle the key and its like nothing happened

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Tilt sensor. Will shutdown fuel pump. Somehow coming down onto the front wheel trip the sensor briefly causing the fuel pump to turn off. When you turned the key off you reset the circuit. Getting better Springs or suspension in the front will help stop this :)
Tilt sensor should not affect the bike during a wheelie. It is made to cut the engine off in a side tip over

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
where is that exactly? and, if that was loose, why did a re-start get it working again?
Remove the tank or at least tip it up from the front. Follow the throttle cables to the lower rear portion of the fuel injectors. The cables rotate a pulley. The pulley is mounted on a shaft and the shaft rotates the sensor. There is an electrical connector on the sensor. It it is lot se, mayed it is make ng intermittent connections.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Tilt sensor should not affect the bike during a wheelie. It is made to cut the engine off in a side tip over
Yes, but something unusual happened, and he said it was when he landed the wheelie. The tilt sensor is shock mounted, but over a space some people (including me) put stuff in, so maybe the sensor couldn't move or was at an angle etc.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Once you have a computer diagnostic check ran on the bike you will probably get your answer of a faulty electrical circuit somewhere. Heck, could even be a bad ECU lead that is breaking contact. Get it checked to be sure.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I would guess that a higher power is suggesting you keep the front end on the ground. That's the simplest answer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts