Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This post shows how to connect the grip end of the throttle cables, from this you can see how to disconnect them too. I’ve also had the engine end of the cables off and put them back on, but it wasn’t pretty, if I posted how I did it DNFDoug would yell at me. ;)

Exploded diagram, parts numbers, etc:
2014 Yamaha FZ09 (FZ09EGY) Steering Handle Cable | Motorcycle Goodies

One cable pulls the throttle open, before disassembly I marked that side with masking tape. The other cable closes the throttle, it is there for safety in case the spring at the engine end doesn’t close the throttle. Note that the open cable is the one with the adjuster by the headlight and the throttle grip tube has a guide slot for the end of each cable, it is longer for the open side.

Here is what the parts diagram calls the grip caps, note that the open side has the bolt holes.

The open side cap in place. The caps and cables are made to fit together a certain way, you probably can’t assemble them wrong way. But don’t be the first to do it the wrong way. ;)

Both caps in place. The photos are with the throttle assembly off the bars, I have clubman bars and can still slide the throttle onto the bars. For the stock bars you might need to hook up the cables with the grip/tube in place on the bars. Note the pin that goes into a hole on the bars. In my opinion for safety if you get non-stock bars you should drill them for this pin instead of removing the pin.

With the throttle assembly in place you can put the 2 bolts in the caps and slide the rubber boots on the cables into place. Remember to check/adjust your throttle play.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Just a little ad on here...you can wrap some sticky tape (on the bars) where the assembly lines up. Build up a fair amount, experiment if you like, then tighten it down. I've done that with on and off road bikes, with no issues. Grabs real well and gives you some advantages to the locked in place version. Tipovers? Things don't break as easy. Just a thought...
Almost forgot. How much slack is in that throttle cable Bob? I.e., Do the bars have room for growth in the "rise" part?
Thanks, G.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
... How much slack is in that throttle cable Bob? I.e., Do the bars have room for growth in the "rise" part?
Thanks, G.
Bars with a higher than stock grip position? The throttle cable has can go a bit higher I guess, I didn't really pay attention to that. One of the little things I don't like about the 09 is the way the cables leave the throttle above the bars instead of under, so I'm trying that. And clubman bars that are half or a bit further from the stock grip position to a full race style clipon position. And as part of a re-do of the headlight to speedo area I have re-routed the cables. So now my problem is the throttle cables are way too long lol. Might need some custom ones. And the metal elbow at the end of the clutch cable needs a far tighter bend now.

But if you are doing higher bars you can probably try the cable under the bars trick, it could be clean.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Now Bob, are you using hammers and pliers on your bike again? Shit, I had to use a crescent wrench on my O2 sensor the other day. I, for the life of me, could not find a box wrench in both of my toolboxes big enough to remove my O2 sensor. It was making me grind my teeth.

Versys8, what type of sticky tape are you using to firm up your controls. As with both of my WR's and my FZ, I have ground off the location tabs, and they are never quite tight. We used Teflon pipe tape on dirtbikes to prevent them from breaking as the result of a crash. Are you talking about double sided Scotch Tape?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Versys8, what type of sticky tape are you using to firm up your controls. As with both of my WR's and my FZ, I have ground off the location tabs, and they are never quite tight. We used Teflon pipe tape on dirtbikes to prevent them from breaking as the result of a crash. Are you talking about double sided Scotch Tape?[/QUOTE]
DNF..
I said that wrong. What I use is electrical, cause it sticks the bars like glue. Stayed on my Lemonds for years and provides a good surface grab for motorcycle controls too. BUT, it does allow for some movement. On my KLX, I can move it easily with pressure, but on my Versys it would require a lot of force, or a tipover. Does that make sense or did I confuse things more? Sorry.
*I have also used a heat gun to melt the tape ( a little) once I like the consistency and placement.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
That makes more sense, thanks. The only thing I don't like about electrical tape is that heat makes it gooey and it peels.

·
Registered
341 Posts
True, but I only heat it a little, then it's buried underneath the controls. I wait until it cools a bit too. Again, just a method I've used with success. Much easier than drilling holes in bars to line up with control nubs.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Fabric or plastic tape?

Versys8, what type of sticky tape are you using to firm up your controls. As with both of my WR's and my FZ, I have ground off the location tabs, and they are never quite tight. We used Teflon pipe tape on dirtbikes to prevent them from breaking as the result of a crash. Are you talking about double sided Scotch Tape?
DNF..
I said that wrong. What I use is electrical, cause it sticks the bars like glue. Stayed on my Lemonds for years and provides a good surface grab for motorcycle controls too. BUT, it does allow for some movement. On my KLX, I can move it easily with pressure, but on my Versys it would require a lot of force, or a tipover. Does that make sense or did I confuse things more? Sorry.
*I have also used a heat gun to melt the tape ( a little) once I like the consistency and placement.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I am deducting Plastic electrical tape. I may try the self sticking type of electrical (rubber) tape and see if it works well.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I just jiggled out the whole throttle body assembly. Now I guess I'll try to tap it/hammer it back in now that the cable is in there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts