Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So is it just me or does anyone else out there think it is stupid that we have to pay to get the throttle injector synced at 600 miles. Wouldn't you think that if this is an issue that needs to be rectified and we have a warranty it should be covered?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
It is a maintenance issue, not a defect covered under your warranty. But yes I have a hard time with the idea of paying for that after just 600 miles.

·
Registered
555 Posts
You do not have to pay for this separately, check your user manual for items performed in the scheduled services. Each scheduled service required throttle bodies to be synced........thus it is part of the service that Yamaha will carry out. If you get Yamaha to service your bike that is.

So this synchronisation is included in the cost of your service, each and every one, and you should have it done every time your bike is in for a scheduled service. I make a point in letting them know I want it done, as I paid for it in the service price.

This is the case in Australia anyway, not sure if it is different in the US.

NOTE: I found out all this information about the synchronisation, by reading the user manual that came with my bike thoroughly.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
It is the same as adjusting your chain, changing your oil, changing air filter, etc. It cost you money for the dealer to do standard maintenance on your bike. I read my maintenance schedule chart too. But I still am not going to sync throttle bodies at every freaking oil change. It is over kill unless the bike idles and/or runs likes crap.

Reactions: stunva

·
Registered
75 Posts
I haven't brought my bike in once in 4000 miles other than seeing if they'd replace the cct which they did not. And if you can get the tank and air box off than you can handle doing a throttle body sync

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts
I checked the synch on my throttle boddies at the 1st service and needed no adjustment. I just had a customer bring his in at 600 for the 1st service and his was wayyy off and needed adjustment. I checked mine again at 7k and they were slightly off. It is maitenance and i recommend doing it. To each their own.

·
Registered
555 Posts
And if you can get the tank and air box off than you can handle doing a throttle body sync

Not so.

Basic tools and experience needed to get the tank and airbox off.

More advanced tools, gauges and experience needed to do the sync. I dont touch anything I dont know anything about.

Sometimes reading step by step instructions and simply following them can get you into more strife than good if you muck something up. I wouldnt recommend anyone do a throttle body sync unless you are really positive you know what you are doing, as it may end up costing you cash if you need someone else to look at it afterwards.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Not so.

Basic tools and experience needed to get the tank and airbox off.

More advanced tools, gauges and experience needed to do the sync. I dont touch anything I dont know anything about.

Sometimes reading step by step instructions and simply following them can get you into more strife than good if you muck something up. I wouldnt recommend anyone do a throttle body sync unless you are really positive you know what you are doing, as it may end up costing you cash if you need someone else to look at it afterwards.
I guess I shouldn't say it so literally, you're right gauges are necessary, and no advanced tools are needed. you just need the gauges and the instructions and you can do it quite easily.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Anybody know what gauges you should get? I do all my own maintenance and don't have the time or patience to take it in to my dealership.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Is a 4 cylinder manometer ok or does it need to specifically made for a 3 cylinder engine? #noob

·
Registered
226 Posts
4 is fine. You just won't connect anything to the 4th. I have one though, and I'm in Tucson. I won't have time to do a sync for a week or two though.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
4 is fine. You just won't connect anything to the 4th. I have one though, and I'm in Tucson. I won't have time to do a sync for a week or two though.
I appreciate the offer. I would like to learn so it would be awesome to be able to borrow it or something.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm sure I'm being stupid, but how come the triple needs this doing so frequently? I'm sure none of my other in-line engines had this scheduled every service.
I can understand V configuration engines needing it doing as the throttle bodies are so far apart.

Sent via Tapatalk.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Dude just take the air box off and look at the throttle bodies to see if they are synced. If they appear to be in sync by eye it's good enough. The dealership has to try and con everyone for extra money for BS maintenance that is not needed. Hard earned money out of your pocket and into someone else that has fat enough pockets as it is.

Reactions: 520FZ09
1 - 20 of 36 Posts