Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somebody here (can't remember who, sorry!) posted about the downsides of buying gasoline from stations that use a single nozzle to dispense three different grades of gas. Essentially you will be getting a good amount (a gallon or more?) of whatever grade gas the previous user of that pump selected, because that much fuel would be left in the hose and other areas downstream from the internal valve that determines what grade is pumped out.

That makes good sense to me, so I went on a little drive and was fortunate to find a BP station nearby that 1) sells ethanol-free premium and 2) uses separate nozzles for each grade of gas. I don't need the extra octane of premium, but that's the only way to get ethanol-free gas from a lot of stations around here.

During the normal riding season it may not be that big of a deal to find a three-nozzle station, but before long I'll be storing the bike for the winter (I'm in WI) and I want to be sure that all of the gas I put in the tank will be ethanol-free (along with some Stabil I'll throw in). So thanks to the forumite who mentioned this issue, please step up and take a bow!

·
Registered
611 Posts
It's something I never thought about, but makes perfect sense. My local Exxon is a 1-hoser. Time to look for a 3-hoser!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

·
Registered
347 Posts
Ethanol laden fuel is also bad for the ferrous parts inside the motor. Specifically the valve seats, guides, and piston rings.

Plus it is hygroscopic leading to the corrosive issues.

And it tends to degrade fuel system seals even though the newer vehicles are designed with it in mind.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Why ethanol free? Because of the extra corrosive properties?

...from my phone...
YES YES YES And now they are trying to push for 15% ethanol mix this is no good... You should be using something in all your gas engines like stabile or anything that treats ethanol because you are slowly corroding your fuel system.

Reactions: cjhorton

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Somebody here (can't remember who, sorry!) posted about the downsides of buying gasoline from stations that use a single nozzle to dispense three different grades of gas. Essentially you will be getting a good amount (a gallon or more?) of whatever grade gas the previous user of that pump selected, because that much fuel would be left in the hose and other areas downstream from the internal valve that determines what grade is pumped out.

That makes good sense to me, so I went on a little drive and was fortunate to find a BP station nearby that 1) sells ethanol-free premium and 2) uses separate nozzles for each grade of gas. I don't need the extra octane of premium, but that's the only way to get ethanol-free gas from a lot of stations around here.

During the normal riding season it may not be that big of a deal to find a three-nozzle station, but before long I'll be storing the bike for the winter (I'm in WI) and I want to be sure that all of the gas I put in the tank will be ethanol-free (along with some Stabil I'll throw in). So thanks to the forumite who mentioned this issue, please step up and take a bow!
I didn't really mention anything about minimal or Ethanol free fuel but if you can find some it's a plus; most regulations require some amount to be added.

As for the fueling station advise: most people are unaware and since we ride bikes here and they usually have a maximum tank capacity of about 5 gallons or less I thought I might inform some here. With a 3.7 gallon tank like the FZ-09 odds are the first gallon pumped will be the cheap sht left from the previous fueling so we all would have some diluted premium. I work with fuels, it's my job, hope it was helpful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts