Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Talked to three guys at the local watering hole who all have deposits on the Nine. One of them knows there may be some issues to resolve so I'll follow his experiences and see how it goes, if he ends up with one.

The more I think about this bike the more I realize Yamaha fooked up. If they had dispensed with the bolt-together steering head in favor of a nice rigid cast design, given it the same grade of adjustable suspension as found on the '13 FZ8, and offered it at $8990 USD, I wouldn't have hesitated. The $7990 price sounds great on paper but there is no way this bike is going to work the way it should without dumping about 1500 bucks into it, minimum. I am talking a rear shock, Gold valves for the forks, and maybe even a Power Commander. I hope Yamaha is reading this. All y'all please report back on your experiences!

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A bike you haven't rode or put any miles on sucks?!

Come on......
First of all I never used the word "sucks", I was trying to be a bit more eloquent and precise. However it's no more far-fetched than when someone posts to the effect that a "bike we haven't rode or put any miles on" is the greatest thing out there. Someone has to take the contrarian view here; I have said before I loved the basic package but was initially disappointed when I heard about the 2-piece frame, which is in all honesty a deal-breaker when choosing a track bike or a real sport bike. Sure enough all the reviews are saying (to some degree or another) that the front end feel is vague, and what I did not expect was that the ridebywire would be problematic.

I'm not buying one this year but for those of you who do it can only help to have someone complaining about why didn't the Tuning Fork Company do it right from the git-go. Because for sure there are going to be some problems.

Why am I howling? Because I want a "perfect" FZ9, not one with what I think are deal-breaking flaws. The difference in payment for a 60-month loan if the bike was $8990 is only $22 a month for a 60 month loan. I for one would have no problem coming up with 22 bucks to have these things fixed. C'mon Yamaha, make a worthy replacement for the Eight!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
First of all I never used the word "sucks", I was trying to be a bit more eloquent and precise. However it's no more far-fetched than when someone posts to the effect that a "bike we haven't rode or put any miles on" is the greatest thing out there. Someone has to take the contrarian view here; I have said before I loved the basic package but was initially disappointed when I heard about the 2-piece frame, which is in all honesty a deal-breaker when choosing a track bike or a real sport bike. Sure enough all the reviews are saying (to some degree or another) that the front end feel is vague, and what I did not expect was that the ridebywire would be problematic.

I'm not buying one this year but for those of you who do it can only help to have someone complaining about why didn't the Tuning Fork Company do it right from the git-go. Because for sure there are going to be some problems.

Why am I howling? Because I want a "perfect" FZ9, not one with what I think are deal-breaking flaws. The difference in payment for a 60-month loan if the bike was $8990 is only $22 a month for a 60 month loan. I for one would have no problem coming up with 22 bucks to have these things fixed. C'mon Yamaha, make a worthy replacement for the Eight!!!
Do you know what first-year-model means? It means what is essentially a paid beta testing phase. You get to deal with all the problems and glitches, and the next gen will have most of the stuff fixed (hopefully). Whether it's worth it to you getting it now or waiting for gen 2 is up to you. Simple as that.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Whether it's worth it to you getting it now or waiting for gen 2 is up to you. Simple as that.
speak for yourself.

a group of thugs has kidnapped my family and will kill them slowly if i don't buy the fz-09 as soon as it hits my local dealer, so i have no choice but to deal with it and find fixes for yamaha's piss poor engineering.

i honestly won't know what to do if it turns out that the 09 was all just a marketing ploy to get people to buy the fz8 and yamaha will not in fact actually mass produce them.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you know what first-year-model means? It means what is essentially a paid beta testing phase. You get to deal with all the problems and glitches, and the next gen will have most of the stuff fixed (hopefully). Whether it's worth it to you getting it now or waiting for gen 2 is up to you. Simple as that.
Tell ya one thing, I am real glad I didn't get a first-year FZ8 or FZ1. You hit it right, I don't want to be the beta tester for any first-year machinery. Now that said I have bought a lot of bikes that were the first year: 1983 V45 Interceptor, which ate cams and needed a complete cam replacement (most of the early V4s had this issue)and a 1986 VFR700, gear-driven cams, needed the whole engine taken apart to replace the gear-drive idler gear. I won't get into the lousy throttle pickup on my 2004 and 2005 YZF-R6s but I just traded both those bikes in since a Power Commander accomplished nothing more than setting me back $400. I guess that dates me back a while, so yeah, I know what a first-year model (often) entails and don't want no part of that sh*t!:friendly_wink:

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
speak for yourself.

a group of thugs has kidnapped my family and will kill them slowly if i don't buy the fz-09 as soon as it hits my local dealer, so i have no choice but to deal with it and find fixes for yamaha's piss poor engineering.

i honestly won't know what to do if it turns out that the 09 was all just a marketing ploy to get people to buy the fz8 and yamaha will not in fact actually mass produce them.
Well I have always said on this and other forums to just hold out and see what happens before buying anything; it's only a few more weeks. The 8's a great bike and I could not be happier with mine but the Nine has potential. I am probably as interested in seeing how this turns out as the people who've laid money down on one, which includes a couple of my riding buddies.

Just a footnote, if the Nine gets all the bugs worked out, that would definitely be at the top of the list to replace my Eight in say, three years time. But I'd be sure to test ride one first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts