Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just thought I'd see what your thoughts are on the BT023 sport touring tires. Like the title states, I can get a pair for $165 shipped to my door, after rebate. For that price, I ought to at least think about picking up a pair.

I've been using Angel GTs for the past 20,000 miles with good results. Most miles have been on the freeway with the occasional run up through the mountains once or twice a month. Zero track days. They've been very good, and the only time I have felt the rear drift a little is on a cool morning, aggressive throttle exiting a 90 degree corner in first gear, peg feeler close to the ground. Even then, it wasn't an abrupt break away; it was grippy and controlled throughout.

Sometimes it's fun to change things up a bit. Question is, can I expect similar performance from the 'Stones, or are they completely different? If their performance is way less than the Angel GTs, I'll just wait until Pirelli runs another rebate and get another set of Angels for $50 more than the 'stones.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I also ride only on the street (no track days) and therefore rarely approach the limits of my tires, but my thinking has been that I would rather have to replace my tires a little more often than lose it on those few occasions when I do find myself in a turn a little faster than I intended or the corner is a bit tighter than I expected it to be. I don't compromise grip by running Sport/touring tires.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I just ordered a set of BT-016 tires from jakewilson.com. Have not used them before but are supposed to be very good tires and as far as I have seen the price is unbeatable. I got them for $180 for the set plus a mail in rebate for $40. So $140 for a set of tires.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
I just ordered a set of BT-016 tires from jakewilson.com. Have not used them before but are supposed to be very good tires and as far as I have seen the price is unbeatable. I got them for $180 for the set plus a mail in rebate for $40. So $140 for a set of tires.
Stones is the only tires I use and you will like the 016's good grip .... after you run those down try the S21's... Better grip front and rear and higher mileage tire... on the rear 016 I would get 3200 mile max and on the rear S21 I got 5200 miles ...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Stones is the only tires I use and you will like the 016's good grip .... after you run those down try the S21's... Better grip front and rear and higher mileage tire... on the rear 016 I would get 3200 mile max and on the rear S21 I got 5200 miles ...
After reading a bunch of reviews I was hoping to get those to 5k so that will be pretty disappointing to only get 3k. I was really considering the s21 but my bike came with the S20 and I honestly don't like it. When new it took a long time to get the rear scrubbed in so it wouldn't slide in the corners. Now at the end of its life at the wear bar it's getting pretty slippery again. No complaints about the front tire though. I'm at 4.3k on them now hoping to get another couple hundred mile ride and then a good burnout to retire it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It may not be a fair comparison, but I had the BT-023's on my '01 FZ1 in the stock sizes, which are the same as the FZ09 has. Even tho they were labeled the correct size, they were physically smaller than the Pirellis that came off the bike. That meant the speedo was even more optimistic, and that bike took more effort to get on the center stand. I didn't care for the steering response or sense much feedback. I replaced them long before they were worn out. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I've been running BT-023s on my FZ as well as my Ninja 650R previously. In my opinion, they are a great tire. I have 13K on the rear right now and I hope to get another 1-2K out of it before I change it. On the 650R, I was getting close to 20K out of the rears. Not once have I had any weird feeling of traction loss or anything of the sort. I will continue to stick with these tires until something significantly better comes along.

I keep the pressure on the high side, but like I say, they grip!

Where are you getting them for such a deal?

·
Registered
109 Posts
After reading a bunch of reviews I was hoping to get those to 5k so that will be pretty disappointing to only get 3k. I was really considering the s21 but my bike came with the S20 and I honestly don't like it. When new it took a long time to get the rear scrubbed in so it wouldn't slide in the corners. Now at the end of its life at the wear bar it's getting pretty slippery again. No complaints about the front tire though. I'm at 4.3k on them now hoping to get another couple hundred mile ride and then a good burnout to retire it.
FYI the tires that came with your bike as stock tires are never the same as the aftermarket version of the same tire as far as I understand. Mine came with the S20 as well and after those wore out I tried the S20 Evo and those were way better...still didn't last too long but the grip was excellent!

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
FYI the tires that came with your bike as stock tires are never the same as the aftermarket version of the same tire as far as I understand. Mine came with the S20 as well and after those wore out I tried the S20 Evo and those were way better...still didn't last too long but the grip was excellent!
correct ! The stock tires are spec tires and are not the same compound as the ones you buy for replacement !! I asked the guy running the booth for Bridgestone at the last MotoGP here at Indy,what he said is Yamaha would say this is what we are going to pay for this tire so Bridgestone changes things up to meet the quota and get the sale...

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where are you getting them for such a deal?
rockymountainatvmc.com AKA jakewilson.com $205 shipped with a $40 Bridgestone rebate

The store sends the rebate in automatically when you purchase, so that's incentive to buy through them.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
So I decided what the hell, I'll try out a set. Turns out I have $46 in store loyalty credit so they're only $159 BEFORE the rebate. After rebate $119 for a pair. Smokin deal.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts