Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
I was really close to buying a FZ8 but i wasnt a big fan of the matte paint and the triumph always caught my eye.The FZ-09 is def. the bike i will go after now,more power,less weight + price vs. fz8 makes it a no brainer!! Just sucks for me tho as i live in NY and by the time october gets here the riding season is over!! It will be along winter i guess!!

·
Registered
699 Posts
It always sucks when the model after the one you just bought is a better model! It seems like this is the case in the auto world almost every year. Look at Subaru between 2008 and 2009 and then 2010! The 2008 WRX sucked in every way possible. Then the 09 really turned it around. Lets hope that the FZ8 owners will not be too brokenhearted. I just cannot wait to see how this thing feels!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was really close to buying a FZ8 but i wasnt a big fan of the matte paint and the triumph always caught my eye.The FZ-09 is def. the bike i will go after now,more power,less weight + price vs. fz8 makes it a no brainer!! Just sucks for me tho as i live in NY and by the time october gets here the riding season is over!! It will be along winter i guess!!
"Season" ? What, you can't get traction ?

·
Registered
176 Posts
After so much reviews... the snatchy throlle and cheapy suspension doesnt make the FZ09 a full tier upgrade over the fz8 imho.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
After so much reviews... the snatchy throlle and cheapy suspension doesnt make the FZ09 a full tier upgrade over the fz8 imho.
those are pretty straightforward and relatively inexpensive fixes though. try modding an fz8 to get it to the 09's level in terms of engine performance and weight and see how much that runs you.

corners had to be cut to price this bike at $8k. remember, the 09 is an all new design not a parts bin special. yamaha made the right choice in cutting those corners from the suspension.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
FZ8 is a great bike too. Exhaust, PCV and R1 cams swap and that thing fly! 115 WHP... Google R779 conversion. Still happy I got the FZ-09 but I did consider the FZ8 for quite some time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
FZ8 is a great bike too. Exhaust, PCV and R1 cams swap and that thing fly! 115 WHP... Google R779 conversion. Still happy I got the FZ-09 but I did consider the FZ8 for quite some time.
i'll concede that's one of the advantages of being a parts-bin bike. what's the torque curve look like on that?

shaving 50 (let's say 44 to make up for the 09's smaller fuel tank) pounds off a modern bike - especially a naked one - is really really difficult. basically impossible without breaking the bank.

the last couple of bikes i've had were all inline fours, i wanted something a little different this time around.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
i'll concede that's one of the advantages of being a parts-bin bike. what's the torque curve look like on that?

shaving 50 (let's say 44 to make up for the 09's smaller fuel tank) pounds off a modern bike - especially a naked one - is really really difficult. basically impossible without breaking the bank.

the last couple of bikes i've had were all inline fours, i wanted something a little different this time around.
Torque was similar to the FZ 09. 57 ft.lb at the wheel but much higher in the rev... typical inline 4. The 09 engine is much better, meaning excellent for everyday riding.

·
Registered
418 Posts
The twitchy throttle is something you can overcome in about 10 minutes of riding. I noticed it as soon as I pulled out of the dealership. Switched to "A" mode and it went away. The reduced weight, added power, and less cost than a FZ8 makes it a no brainer. Just put the $1000 that is saved buying the FZ09 over the FZ8 back into it and it'll be that much better than the FZ8. IMO it's a better bike out of the box.

·
Super Moderator
5,699 Posts
There is no doubt that the 09 needs suspension upgrades unless you are in the 140 to maybe 160 lb weight class, but I knew that before I ever picked up the bike from the dealer. I've got a little over $1K in suspension upgrades (Penske 8983 double clicker) and a set of the Sonic Springs and heavier fork oil.....so I'm about at the same price point as the FZ09 new, with stock suspension on it. And even though the FZ8 (later models) have a fully adjustable suspension both front and rear, it still isn't the quality of a Penske shock and most likely not anywhere near as adjustable. Score one for the FZ09.

The 09 compared to the FZ8 is much lighter and makes more stock HP and torque too. I came within 3 days of buying an FZ8 and then Yamaha announced that the all new FZ09 would be coming out. After reading about it, I cancelled my plans to get the FZ8 and patiently waited until the FZ09 was released......and I have absolutely NO regrets. The FZ09 is probably the most exciting new bike that I've ever bought/owned........and I've been doing this since 1971.

Reactions: ktk_ace

·
Registered
84 Posts
I bought a 2012 leftover FZ8 in April. Set it up FZ1 shock,two brothers slipon and juicebox,center stand, billett etc. Was about to do the forks then saw youtube when the guy at the dealership rode the FZ09 and was like wow the front just went up he was laughing was completely impressed. Brought it back and jumped on the FZ8 pulled out and was so disappointed and brought it right back it felt heavy and slow. I went to the NYC bike show last week was sitting on the FZ09 met the owner of NY Honda Yamaha. Last Thursday he took my FZ8 as a trade for his only RED FZ09 7980. no freight or set up great dealer 44.FZ09 2014.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,699 Posts
You did good, congrats on getting the fastest color.........Rapid Red!

·
Registered
347 Posts
I really love my 9, but I don't feel bad for the 8 owners. For one thing they have probably a better touring bike and they have years of aftermarket support. Yeah, I'd take my 9 over it any day but the 8 is no slouch.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
After three Ducati V-Twins I was getting kind of sick of motorcycles. A Ducati has a way of ruining your riding pleasure unless you are over 6k on the Tach...and then it's Italian nirvana. But I'm old now and I like to ride slow once in a while. I think if you pay 10 grand for a bike then you ought to be able to ride it slow or fast if you want. To complicate all that ..I've been hooked on fast cornering up in the Georgia Mountains and once in a while I need to see the "red mist" and just haul ass around the corners with my buddies. So I went back to inline fours....and couldn't be happier with what I have now.

But then I saw the FZ-09 and got excited about bikes again. I knew it was what would suit my needs. Until I read in every test or review about that twitchy jerky throttle. So now I'm waiting till spring to ride one and decide. At this point someone either needs to come up with a fix that works....or I buy a used one and put carburetors on it...or I just keep what I got. If you can't ride an FZ-09 SLOW...like 7mph if I wanted to....without being jerky....I don't want it. I'd have to come up with a fix.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
The Flashtune via Stoltec will take care of the throttle issues, that is the only thing power related I'll do to my 09, I like quiet pipes for the street.

I only did one 26 mile ride before winter set in, the throttle didn't seem as bad as many reports. But I wasn't trying to go slow, I was doing the quick break in method, my problem was keeping the front down while going from 20 to 90 lol.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
364 Posts
You can ride it slow. Want to make it easy using B mode.

I rode the FZ8 and I liked the throttle response. It felt heave and looked good. My pants inseam is 30 inches. The problem is I am not long legged and seat to peg length caused cramping in my hips. Very uncomfortable for us old guys. The FZ-09 makes me smile and when you get on the throttle, it just gets up and moves. No effort, no questions asked, just lets go now. Bring your check book when you go to ride it.

·
Banned
161 Posts
I feel sorry for the guys that just bought a new FZ8.
Really? You feel bad for somebody that would purchase an inline 4 800cc with a bikini fairing?

Wow. I feel bad for you.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
After three Ducati V-Twins I was getting kind of sick of motorcycles. A Ducati has a way of ruining your riding pleasure unless you are over 6k on the Tach...and then it's Italian nirvana. But I'm old now and I like to ride slow once in a while. I think if you pay 10 grand for a bike then you ought to be able to ride it slow or fast if you want. To complicate all that ..I've been hooked on fast cornering up in the Georgia Mountains and once in a while I need to see the "red mist" and just haul ass around the corners with my buddies. So I went back to inline fours....and couldn't be happier with what I have now.

But then I saw the FZ-09 and got excited about bikes again. I knew it was what would suit my needs. Until I read in every test or review about that twitchy jerky throttle. So now I'm waiting till spring to ride one and decide. At this point someone either needs to come up with a fix that works....or I buy a used one and put carburetors on it...or I just keep what I got. If you can't ride an FZ-09 SLOW...like 7mph if I wanted to....without being jerky....I don't want it. I'd have to come up with a fix.
The bike ride just fine. If you had few twins and Duc... that thing will be smooth as can be. Its all throttle control...

1 - 20 of 66 Posts