Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have seen a few people discussing this a little bit in other threads, but I wanted to see what you guys do with your bikes. I have a three year old and one year old.

Topic #1, Garage Safety
The obvious answer is don't let your kids in there without you. Well, we use our garage for everything. It is our pantry, laundry room, we have a spare fridge fridge and freezer in there and we take our 3 y.o. in there to grab a snack when we are playing outside. We are in and out of there all day long, so pulling out a key every time is a giant pita. Everything that could generally be considered dangerous is locked up, aside from the motorcycle which I fear he could knock it over and get squished like a bug.

So I see a few options, 1. lock the garage, PITA. 2. Put the bike on a rear stand? Maybe that would hold it more securely and it would be balanced... 3. Make some sort of fence around the bike 4. maybe its just not that big of a deal? Leave it on its side stand and tell him never touch it or BIG TIME OUT. But seriously, I read someone post here that their friends' child died from the bike falling on them, I can't imagine the feeling and the guilt that would go with that.

Topic #2, Riding

When did you first take you kids on the bike with you, or what age do you think it is appropriate? My son is super obsessed and loves them, so it would be a blast to get him up there with me as soon as I can, but I don't want to be crazy about it. I have seen harness for really young kids to go on adults' backs and that seems... crazy? What ages have you had your kids with you? 7/8/9/10? Obviously not on the freeway, I would hope.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Topic #1, Garage Safety
I like your fence idea. Park the motorcycle next to a garage wall, and park something (lawn tractor, car, etc.) on the other side to prevent the motorcycle from falling over. The next part is equally important.

With a three year old, curiosity is always be an issue. From time to time, clear out the garage and put the motorcycle in the middle of the floor. Take him to the garage, supervise him near the motorcycle, make engine sounds together, take his picture on or near (your call, of course) the motorcycle, place the picture in his room, and develop his sense that spending time with a motorcycle is something you do together. When you're done, carefully park everything as described previously. That's a pain, too, but greatly diminishes the possibility of being sorry later.

Before long, he may ask to go riding...

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
A three year old has no business going in and out of the garage all day long. Where is the parental supervision? Since when does a three year old have access to unlimited snacks? The bike isn't the problem.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
#1 - Is there a way to attach a safety strap to the wall, that can be easily attached to the bikes to stop them from falling over? I am thinking of a tie-down with an eye-bolt in the wall, that can be adjusted quickly to hold the bikes in place. One per bike would be the best system, and hook it on a solid spot on the bike. Then constantly remind the kids that if a bike falls on them, it could crush them and that it is not a toy. Kids are a lot smarter than a lot of people give them credit for. (ie. stupid parents) If you calmly tell them over and over, they will get the picture and know that the bikes are not something to mess with. Plus you don't want them climbing on a bike and bbq'ing there leg on a hot exhaust header.

#2 - Taking them for a ride? I wouldn't feel comfortable until they are big enough to be able to hold on and stay on by them self. I wouldn't put any faith into any kind of harness or strap system. Unless you have a bike that you can sit them in front of you comfortably. I remember riding with my dad on his dirt bike, and hated it. I'd rather jump on the mini bike we had and ride around by myself, lol.

Reactions: sparker

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
A three year old has no business going in and out of the garage all day long. Where is the parental supervision? Since when does a three year old have access to unlimited snacks? The bike isn't the problem.
I knew that was coming, and I'm honestly torn as how to even respond. You must not have kids, and its clear that reading comprehension is not your strong suit. As I said, WE go in and out of there all day long together, this is our laundry room. Where do you expect him to be when I do laundry? Unsupervised in the house? Our pantry is in the garage, it is not a buffet. Our garage is unlocked, and has access to our backyard which is fenced. When we are playing outside (I have 2 kids) there have been times when I turn around and he has wandered into the garage to grab a fruit snack off of the shelf and say "I wannn snaaack". It's not the wild west here, jesus and he can't even open the damn things without help. When I said he "routinely" goes in there that is an exaggeration, but the older he gets the faster he moves and I have a 1 year old slowing me down, too. I really can't believe I'm trying to convince some internet DB of my parenting skills here.

As I said, the only thing unlocked in the garage is the bike, any tools, cleaners, dangerous stuff is all locked up. We have a fridge, washer, dryer, and 2 shelves of dry type snacks foods, paper towels, toilet paper, etc that is open. He knows where the fruit snacks are kept. Would you like a picture?

This whole thread was started due to someone else saying they had a good friends whose child died by knocking a motorcycle over. I wanted to know what other people did aside from the obvious "just watch them all the time" which is an obvious, and ignorant answer. Bad shit happens fast, and my whole intention is to make sure it doesn't happen to my kids. Yeah, I'm a shitty parent.

For those of you with productive responses, thanks.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Ive got a 3 year old and a 7 year old.
I just taught them not to touch stuff, although they were only in there with me, its always been a separate part of the house.
when my now 7YO was maybe 2 or 3, she went from wanting me to start it, to wanting to push the start button, to wanting to turn the key, to asking if i had my keys so she could start it.
when she wanted to start sitting on it, i taught her the right way to climb up, which bits to hold on to, where to put her feet.
I've taken her up the driveway once or twice on my last bike because her feet could reach the pillion pegs safely. NOt on he road, just up the driveway.
That was the coolest thoong ever for me - my dad died when i was 4, and one of my great memeories is sitting on his bike while he rode us up our driveway, i must have been 3 or so.
If your garage looks like an episode of hoarders, maybe you should worry. if its neat and tidy, teach and trust your kids.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Education of your kids is the best defense. As Keef did, just make them aware of the bike and the dangers associated with it. If you help them explore it, the curiosity of it goes away and they won't give messing with it a 2nd thought. It's hard to trust them, but mine have grown up around many and now they don't even notice them in the garage, unless they want to help me work on them (they are 5/7 so they are just starting to learn tools other than a hammer). Neither has ever climbed on one without me around because I took them up there with me and let them play. With kids, it seems to be all about curiosity and the more you shield them, the more curious they become. The only thing I had to do was invest in some exhaust plugs for the RSVR. My son liked dropping things down the pipes. That and filling the ram-air duct with rocks. Luckilly they couldn't go into the airbox, but I had a few times of digging things (or blowing them) out of the exhaust. Prob not a big deal on the FZ, as the pipe isn't conducive to dropping things down.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
By their looks, sound and attention we heap upon them, motorcycles are often an object of toddler attention. Compound that if they're allowed to sit on the bike. But don't let a toddler touch a motorcycle, ever. Certain parts can be hot enough to create a tragic accident when touched and toddlers are curiosity machines. They should be taught a motorcycle is "hot", as it's something they may understand and remember.

I'm talking about children who are too young to have judgement that can be trusted or are just ruled by curiosity and stimuli, like most toddlers.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've tried to tell my kid something was hot, that was obviously not hot so he didn't touch it. He called BS. I don't know how well that would work as a general rule to never touch, but certainly to never touch unsupervised.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I actually like the tethering it to the wall with a strap idea. If you pull straight into the garage and pull it to the right side wall, you could just strap it up. Maybe 1 toward the front and 1 to towards the rear. Use a couple good eye hooks and secure them into the studs and I would think that would be enough. As for taking them for a ride, I used to have a 2000 Suzuki Katana and would take my girls for a ride around the block. I would sit them in front and have them hold onto the bars and then I would reach around them and hold them in, then I could use my legs to grip theirs and hold them in. With the FZ9 its a whole different story. Granted the girls are now 15 and ride on back. I just took my 7yr old our the block yesterday. She asked to go because as she says "I just never get to spend time with you, other then after school and at night and weekends, otherwise just never". How can you not take her? Had her put her sisters helmet on and we went. Took it slow. Told her to hold on tight, and don't let go. On this short ride, I didn't feel that she had the confidence, or the concentration to go on a ride any longer, or faster then a high idle around the sub. So, at 7, I don't think she would be ready. Only you know your kids, and only you can make that decision. In the end, it will be you that has to answer to the mom when $hit goes bad.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've explained to my son that the bike is dangerous and could fall over on him and crush him. He's a bit older at 8, if he was 3 or 4 that obviously wouldn't work. My kid won't touch my bike when I'm around or not.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've taught my 3 year old son the sides of the bike are hot, and he doesn't touch those.

As far as when he'll get to ride for the first time, my state requires the child to be able to reach the foot pegs. Since he's small for his age, I'm guessing he'll be around 6 before that happens. I take my 12 year old out I out sometimes, but honestly, I like riding alone and may put on a solo saddle in the future.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I knew that was coming, and I'm honestly torn as how to even respond. You must not have kids, and its clear that reading comprehension is not your strong suit. .
I {we}raised two boys....who are now both in their 40's. I can read well....and what you are really trying to say is that you are having trouble controlling your kids. A motorcycle cannot fall over if the kid doesn't touch it. It's up to you to teach them not to touch the bike....OR.....locate the bike so they cannot mess with it. If you are watching the kids all the time...it's pretty much impossible for the bike to fall over. I'm 67.. and in all my years ...I never once heard of a child who got crushed or killed by knocking over a motorcycle. Sounds like one of those old wife's tales.

Raising two boys...I can tell you that you cannot chain or lock or strap down everything that can cause them harm. I can tell you that if their ass hurts...they won't touch the bike anymore.

Reactions: marthy and DRX350

·
Registered
651 Posts
#1 - Is there a way to attach a safety strap to the wall, that can be easily attached to the bikes to stop them from falling over? I am thinking of a tie-down with an eye-bolt in the wall, that can be adjusted quickly to hold the bikes in place. One per bike would be the best system, and hook it on a solid spot on the bike. Then constantly remind the kids that if a bike falls on them, it could crush them and that it is not a toy. Kids are a lot smarter than a lot of people give them credit for. (ie. stupid parents) If you calmly tell them over and over, they will get the picture and know that the bikes are not something to mess with. Plus you don't want them climbing on a bike and bbq'ing there leg on a hot exhaust header.

#2 - Taking them for a ride? I wouldn't feel comfortable until they are big enough to be able to hold on and stay on by them self. I wouldn't put any faith into any kind of harness or strap system. Unless you have a bike that you can sit them in front of you comfortably. I remember riding with my dad on his dirt bike, and hated it. I'd rather jump on the mini bike we had and ride around by myself, lol.
Attach the safety strap to the 3 year old and fix it to a peg on the back lawn. :evil4:

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I have a fence around my bike. Period. We have a high level of parental supervision, but anyone with kids will tell you that in 10 seconds they can and will go and do what you've taught them not to. Taking a chance like that isn't worth it. My kids have their bikes, toys etc in the garage, so they do go there, they don't have a parent following them 24/7. If you have kids, you know this.

I have a fence around the bike. I teach my kids about safety around the bikes. Why you don't touch them, why you don't climb on them, that they can be very hot and burn you. You can teach a kid all day long, but show me one kid that obeys 100% of the time and I will show you a parent that is a liar. Didn't your parents tell you not to drink, smoke, have sex... Mmmmkay.

And it isn't just MY KIDS... They have friends that come over to play, and they DONT KNOW the dangers, and in 10 seconds, could be crushed by a falling bike.

It's about peace of mind. I built a fence, it is articulating so it can accomodate one bike, or three. I know someone who's child was killed when a motorcycle fell on him, suffocated him. Really at that point does it really matter why? No. Do what is right for your kids, your peace of mind. I have awesome kids, and I'm a hard ass with them, but they do stupid things, kids are stupid... Some of them grow up and are equally stupid as adults. Those stupid adults then give advice on motorcycle forums.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I {we}raised two boys....who are now both in their 40's. I can read well....and what you are really trying to say is that you are having trouble controlling your kids. A motorcycle cannot fall over if the kid doesn't touch it. It's up to you to teach them not to touch the bike....OR.....locate the bike so they cannot mess with it. If you are watching the kids all the time...it's pretty much impossible for the bike to fall over. I'm 67.. and in all my years ...I never once heard of a child who got crushed or killed by knocking over a motorcycle. Sounds like one of those old wife's tales.

Raising two boys...I can tell you that you cannot chain or lock or strap down everything that can cause them harm. I can tell you that if their ass hurts...they won't touch the bike anymore.
My kids are plenty disciplined. If you are telling me in all the years you raised your kids you were never doing something and heard a noise in the other room to find out your kid knocked something over or broke something? We have a term for that, it's called helicopter parenting. I'm sure at 67 you're looking back with perfect 20/20 vision of how freaking awesome you were. Good work.

Your advice in the post is exactly what I was hoping to get by asking this question, but instead you ridiculed me and criticized my parenting. I'm done talking to you.

·
Registered
857 Posts
The question of the attractive/dangerous object is good. No parent or child is the same. My oldest daughter, now 46 once ran up to a my chopper, yep, and badly burned her leg. Nothing could help I tried to stop her, she was small
and fast, and burned her leg on the bike's pipe. This is antidotal. My girls or their boy friends never damaged or messed with my bikes, my brothers damaged the bikes more than me. I took both my daughters for rides when they were
smaller and they liked it, but as they got older they showed no interest. I did have a Honda Rebel 250 for a few years and it was ignored, so I sold it. Every child and family is different, my nephew who is six, sat on my V-strom, we
started it and he carefully worked the throttle, my grandson who is 14, could not be trusted with a pair of chopstick and a pocket knife. To fence off the bike is foolish, do you fence off the car, lawn mower, snow blower? You tell them
don't touch this, Period. I think it is logical to explain hazards to small children and have them understand. You always have to know what the child is capable of and how they will react as a individual. I have firearms out in my study
some times, my grandson knows not to pick them up, and to ask. When I hand him a firearm I will say "Don't put your finger on the trigger," he will, every damn time.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Sparker, by envisioning a potential threat to your child , you are right on top of it. I have found in my life, that if you see something and think to yourself,"this could be a danger/problem" , you should address it immediately, because it probably will be. I had a friend, years ago, whos nephew managed to somehow knock a bike over on top of himself , and suffered brain damage. Not an old wives tale at all.

·
Registered
92 Posts
This really isn't too difficult an issue to handle. It sounds like your aware of a potential issue and you're looking for advice from those who have more experience. I think thats great. To be honest, your kids are at the easiest age to protect them from hurting themselves. Post back in another 10-12 years and ask me how to hide the keys from a teenager who wants to take out the bike while your away to show off to his friends. Or worse, if they know how to ride and get a testosterone dump and decide to rip around irresponsibly. You'll be reading about the end result of those horrors way more than a toddler knocking over a bike and killing themselves. Take the best of the advice given here, use your own discretion and protect your kids. Just remember, the fun is just beginning.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have a fence in my garage to keep the kids out. Not only for the motorcycles but also the paint cans and lawn fertilizer,etc. My daughter is 32 so the kids I'm referring to are dogs. But I don't want my seat chewed up or them getting into stuff. Indeed the law states that the child must be able to reach the footpegs and riding with them in front of you is a no-no. I know because I was pulled over in the 80s and chewed out by the cop. My daughter enjoyed being a passenger but never got the bug to start riding. Now that she is married hopefully I can be the cool Grandpa with a sportbike. The other Grandpa has a cruiser. Another note was that on long rides my daughter would start to fall asleep, so you might keep the rides short. Don't let CD get to you. He rags on everybody. All you can do is all you can do. I spent a lot of my daughter's childhood working 14 hour days to put her mother and then her through college. It worked out but if I could go back and spend more time with her I would be grateful.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts