Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So yesterday I decided to begin the buying process, made a list of dealers within a 75 radius, and asked for OTD pricing from seven dealers. I used the CycleTrader “contact/quote” process, and got back several replies (three) within thirty minutes. So far, none of them are anywhere close to acceptable, but I wanted to share one in particular. Needless to say, it was the highest quote.

Hi Xxxx
THE SELLING PRICE IS $8190 PLUS FREIGHT N SET UP COMES TO $8889. +TAX TAG TITLE.
$9909.86 AND I HAVE THAT BIKE ON MY SHOW ROOM FLOOR.

So let’s see, their price for the bike is actually $8,889. I provided him with my county tax rate of 6.5%, which would equate to an amount of $578, and that pushes the cost to $9,467. And if that’s not bad enough he quotes an ending price of almost $10 grand, which by the way I mentioned that I only need a tag transfer instead of a new tag.

In addition, the dealer I have in town, and of course the one I was hoping to be able to work out a deal responded too with a price over $9K. I responded back with this link, mentioned that shipping and prep is additional and it’s my understanding that the price is really $7,300 plus tax/title/tag, and asked if they could go with an $8,000 OTD price.

Current New Inventory | Westfield Powersports

He replied back that their “cost” is higher than that and essentially this can't be true.

This is not looking good...so it seems that a price quote is an opportunity to cite MSRP and add to it, rather than trying to obtain a customer...at least in my area.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
It's actually Worse in So Florida :mad:

MSRP + as many BS Fees & then add on Local sales tax.......We don't refer to them as Stealerships for nothin':mad:

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe we need to start a thread as to what dealership to avoid....but sadly that might be most of them. If I feel like I'm being cheated..I won't close the deal.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Maybe we need to start a thread as to what dealership to avoid....but sadly that would be most or all of them. If I feel like I'm being cheated..I won't close the deal.
Fixed that for you.:cool:

Stand your ground and be patient. One will eventually cave to a semi-fair price.:p

·
Registered
129 Posts
Almost all dealers with throw out their retail + fees/ect over email or the phone. They figure you are just a tire kicker or someone extremely anxious to get the bike no matter what the cost.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I shopped for about a week before I bought my bike and I got it for what I wanted to pay even though they were hard to find in the beginning of last year......expand your search and I'm sure you will find one that fits your price ..these bikes are not exactly rare anymore as supply has caught up with demand.

any decent dealer will let you go for about $500.00 below MSRP with no added crap fees like freight and prep.

Reactions: Steve101

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
any decent dealer will let you go for about $500.00 below MSRP with no added crap fees like freight and prep.
So in my case...$8190 less $500 = $7,690. Plus tax at 6.5%...tag/title. Tax would be $500 (so we are back to $8,190 +/-) Not sure what title/tag is, but the tag agency told me that I can do a tag transfer from the bike I sold. That would be a deal I could live and ride with.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I shopped for about a week before I bought my bike and I got it for what I wanted to pay even though they were hard to find in the beginning of last year......expand your search and I'm sure you will find one that fits your price ..these bikes are not exactly rare anymore as supply has caught up with demand.

Don't know of any Decent Dealers in Florida......But enough of a search will undoubtedly uncover one. The more rural the area the better IMO.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
OK, now I'm confused...the link you posted shows a price of $6799.00...they wont honor that price?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Why not buy it from Westfield and pay to have it shipped. Still cheaper than any of the locals, by a long shot. Or if you have the time, fly up to Indy and ride it home over 22-3days. Fly out early AM, pick it up, ride half way the first day and finish the second or third day. Long days for sure, but fun as hell.

They should start offering these kinds of packages. They could even meet you at the airport with the bike and paperwork for a small fee (still probably less than you'd pay for a cab).

JW

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, now I'm confused...the link you posted shows a price of $6799.00...they wont honor that price?
My dealer won't come close...I used that link to show them I know what they could do. I assume Westfield honors their ads. Also...I did ask them (Westfield) to send me a price quote, just didn't get one yet.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
My dealer won't come close...I used that link to show them I know what they could do. I assume Westfield honors their ads. Also...I did ask them (Westfield) to send me a price quote, just didn't get one yet.
Ah, OK, thought that ad was from your local dealer...

·
Registered
208 Posts
I probably could have gotten a little better deal but I got mine for $9300 otd. All other dealers were quoting $10k+. I also went through Costco vehicle buying program which knocked off about $700 from the total price. This basically eliminated the freight fee. So tax, title, setup, and wheel coverage brought it up to $9300. Without wheel coverage it would have been $9000 even.

I was ok with the price, and once you ride the thing you'll realize price doesn't matter as much :)

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Westfield is a no bullshit dealer. What they quote, is what you get, period. Look in my build thread at my invoice, better yet, I will post it here and you can show that to your dealer. "That can't be true"

Um... Well, that is what Indiana buyers have paid for 18 months for this bike.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I buy bikes and ship them if I have to, this is the first bike I've purchased without shipping from another state, in 10 years. Because Wesfield really can't be beat on new bike pricing.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Here you go.....Cycle Sports Center in Orlando is showing them for $6999 on their website
Thanks...and that was your first post!
did not see that....but they were one of the dealers I sent a request to. Have not received a reply yet, but I did my requests near the end of the work hours yesterday (Sat). Will let folks know how this goes.

I did notice that it said..."excludes dealer fees, prep, delivery, etc". The question is how much do they tack on? Hopeful...

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Look in my build thread at my invoice, better yet, I will post it here
Much better photo here...thanks. What's the difference between the vehicle tax and the sale tax? Regardless, that's the way to buy...no BS.

And the numbers make sense...$510 (tax) divided by $7,288 (price) = 7% sales tax...which is what you cited.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Heck if I know. What I do know is that you don't negotiate there. They tell you, this is the price, if you can beat it, go beat it...

They know they are one of the most aggressive, and they advertise that fact. They aren't scared to give you the rock bottom price from the get go. Dealers that sell 5 bikes for 5 different prices, based on negotiations, are why people hate dealers.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts