Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Well, people who are financially irresponsible, don't understand when you speak to them about responsible decision making. That is a foreign topic.

Like some folks I know, who saw us just pay off our mortgage and become debt free, went ahead and CASHED OUT their 401k to pay off their cars and credit cards, to get closer to debt free. Still no budget. And now no retirement. And they paid 40% in taxes and penalties, to pay off loans at less than 10%.

Some people, you just can't reach.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I had a kid ask the same thing when I was selling a bicycle.... A BICYCLE.

Schools need to have courses on common sense, budgeting, and general life information.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I'm currently trying to sell my KLR, and have had to decline the same request... more than once rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I love it when they try to trade you their crap. I can't tell you how many people would ask me if I wanted some clapped out piece of crap.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
when i was selling my SV on craigslist - i shoudl have saved some of the BS i was getting.

Hey i'll give you $100 bucks for this if no one takes it at your asking price (which was $3k).

Hey do you mind driving Vermont with the bike? (i'm in jersey)

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I love these posts. There was a thread over at supermoto junkies where a guy was selling his bike and he posted up all the nonsense from craigslist that he was dealing with. One guy said well I can only ride in the nice weather months so I'll just rent it off of you. I swear the idiots are starting to out number us normal people.

I went over and copied the post.

"Listen I have to be honest With you I just got my license and always want it a SUPERMOTO bike but u know ny weather could only used from spring to fall. So I just though of renting it during summer times only. Listen how exspensive is to own a bike ?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
the best was, i was selling something else at the time - i think it was a smartphone - i got contacted from the same scammer - she worked on an off shore rig in Texas and really wanted to buy the bike for her son and would pay $1000 more for it because of the trouble with shipping (because you know, there are no used bikes for sale between jersey and texas).

I didn't respond to the email address - a week later i get another email from the same email address about the other thing i was selling unrelated to the motorcycle - she copied the same email and just did a word replace with the new product.

If I was going to make scamming my career- i'd at least try to put some effort into it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
i have a cbr1k up for sale so im dealing with this now. interestingly no offers for trades for a dodge neon as of yet. i did do the payment thing for a 99 cbr900 but it was for a friend.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I always told the guys making low-ball offers that I would rather push it off a cliff than to sell it to you for that. My other favorite saying is that I will keep it until the end of time. They always say times are hard, and I would respond, not for me. If they have the balls to do crap like that, then I have the balls to insult them.

·
Super Moderator
5,752 Posts
I always told the guys making low-ball offers that I would rather push it off a cliff than to sell it to you for that. My other favorite saying is that I will keep it until the end of time. They always say times are hard, and I would respond, not for me. If they have the balls to do crap like that, then I have the balls to insult them.
When they say "times are hard" probably a good come back line would be ......Yea, so you probably don't need to buying this if times are that tough for you...........I'm doing you a favor son!"

Reactions: nburkhouse

·
Registered
190 Posts
LOL, I've used similar lines when selling stuff. Selling brand new cable boxes, "I'll take them in the backyard and beat them with a ball pin hammer before I sell them to you for that". I always list my stuff way below market value but with a firm or non negotiable price and generally speaking I almost always sell it quickly but it doesn't stop the odd lowballer, good for a laugh anyway.

Edit: Or how about the guys who are like, "I have cash" and they expect some kind of deal. Well no shit *******, you're buying a used camera or whatever it might be you're not a financing a car and I sure as shit don't take gift cards so what else would you pay with?

·
Registered
380 Posts
haha loving some of these posts common sense is a rare thing nowadays
holy sh1t, your not kidding! I have said in my couple of ads, serious offers only and the sh1t! cmon man!
Some people are unreal and will try anything

·
Registered
300 Posts
I've sold 5 bikes and 2 cars in the last 2 years. First off you've got to write a decent ad, to hopefully get decent responses. Second: it's got to be reasonably priced, if you're asking too much you're gonna get lots of lowball offers and such. Third: I don't negotiate I know my prices, and let it be known I'm not negotiating. It helps that I take care of things, not even one person asked if they could ride my bikes before they purchased them. All of my vehicles except one sold in 24 hours or less to the first person that saw them. The lone exception sold in 3 days to the first person that saw it. Here's an example of a decent ad, I sold this just over a month ago.

2012 Kawasaki ninja 650 (ER-6N) ---HIGHLY MODDED, 1 OF A KIND--- - $4899

This was my winter project, bought with 457 miles on it after the previous owner put it down. A ton of money and time was spent turning it into a much better bike than it was new. Now that I've had my fun with it, it's time to move it out of the garage, for the next project. Runs and rides better than new, because it's been upgraded with ZX6RR front end (suspension and radial mount brakes) complete with custom stainless steel braided lines.....but wait there's more. Also has a Penske 8700E rear shock, Leo Vince full system, and Power Commander V. Also the air intake has been de-snokelized for more volume, and the PAIR valve plugged. With more power you need to upgrade the clutch...so in went BRP's heaviest duty (green) clutch spring kit.

This bike is now an awesome little scrapper, if you can't keep up in the twisties, don't blame the Kawi. She also lost, I believe around 30lbs. in her transformation from Ninja to ER-6N. And I think she looks better too, especially since the last year you could buy the ER-6N new from a dealer here was in 2010. I always have people asking me about the bike at gas stations.

I also have the stock ZX6RR clip-ons, and top triple clamp from the front end conversion, if you want to go sort of a modern ''Café Racer" look. I can't stand bars that low, so I went to the extra expense and time, and purchased a Z1000 top triple, so I could mount easily changeable "SuperBike" style bars.

The Kawi has a re-built title, but looks very good overall (a few scuffs and nicks), with 4,200 miles on her waiting for a new owner. I've averaged 51.5mpg's (using 87 octane) on the fancy new gauge cluster Kawi fitted to the 3rd gen Ninja, which is far superior to the previous gen models. The cluster shows avg. and instant economy numbers which is great, and is highly legible in all lighting situations.

Thousands spent on mods, this is your chance to buy a fully developed sport twin, at the cost you would pay for a stocker.

Here's a list, hopefully not forgetting anything.

Brand new parts:

Leo Vince-full system- $650

Penske 8900E- $650

Dynojet PCV- $300

Galfer-custom SS brake lines- $135

'07-'08 Z1000 top triple clamp with new vibration isolators, pressed in- $285

Renthall aluminum bars- $75

Aluminum bar end mirrors- $40

Universal-compact brake reserviour- $20

Pazzo? shorty levers, on ZX6R perches- $100

Footpeg & Rubber- $60

Swingarm spools- $25

BRP (green) clutch spring kit & gasket- $50

1-12oz. Flask (re-located coolant overflow-under seat)- $20

New rear Dunlop- $160

EBAY (Used) parts:

ZX6RR front end- $300

ZX6RR front wheel- $220

ZX6RR lever perches- $40

ZX6RR front fender- $40

BMW G650XMOTO- Headlight assembly- $ on a shelf in the garage already

Misc. brackets, bolts, nuts, etc.- $120

I don't need to sell this bike, just not riding it, don't want it just taking up garage space. Not accepting offers, full price, or don't contact me. No Test Rides, unless I have $4,899 in my hands, and yes I will count it.

Possible trade for a Fuel Injected SuperMoto.

Don't waste my time, I won't waste yours.

motorcycle 008.jpg bikepics-2471556-200[1].jpg

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I've sold 5 bikes and 2 cars in the last 2 years. First off you've got to write a decent ad, to hopefully get decent responses. Second: it's got to be reasonably priced, if you're asking too much you're gonna get lots of lowball offers and such. Third: I don't negotiate I know my prices, and let it be known I'm not negotiating. It helps that I take care of things, not even one person asked if they could ride my bikes before they purchased them. All of my vehicles except one sold in 24 hours or less to the first person that saw them. The lone exception sold in 3 days to the first person that saw it. Here's an example of a decent ad, I sold this just over a month ago.
Are you open to doing a payment plan? If so, I'm interested :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts
What are people thinking? Specifically ... The bike is titled under the Seller or a Bank and how is insurance going to be put on that bike by the non-owner? Besides that, would an owner want to take on the liability?

·
Registered
768 Posts
I had an "oil rig" worker offer on both my KLR650 and a FZ8.
The most annoying offer though was a mature guy that showed up to look at my 2002 DL1000.
We talked. He test rode it. We agreed upon a price. Deal!
It was after bank hours on Saturday, so he wanted to meet up on Monday but he wasn't sure what time.
He'd call me. Okay.
I later remembered I might be away that morning. So, I rang him Sunday evening to give him my cell #.
"Will you take ($1000 less) for the bike?"
NO. We agreed upon a set price yesterday.
"Never mind, then."
Look. YOU were okay with the price and we agreed to meet tomorrow at a bank of YOUR chosing.
Are you coming or not?

"No. I'm not interested."
(a$$hole.)
A week later, he called me. "Have you sold it yet? Will you take (same - $1000 offer)?"
NO.
Another week passed and I sold the bike for my asking price to a nicer guy from out of town.
The 1st guy calls AGAIN.
I told him, "Look, you and I had a gentleman's agreement for you to buy my Suzuki. You blew it. It's gone."
I wouldn't sell that guy a life preserver for a penny if he was drowning.

Reactions: marthy and ktk_ace
1 - 20 of 22 Posts