Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in the early 90's, after losing 5 people close to me and my only brother in separate motorcycle accidents, I sold my Suzuki Katana and swore that I would only ride dirt for the rest of my life. No more street bikes for me, too many idiots on the road. So, I rode two strokes and 450 fourstrokes for 20 years. Rode the piss outta them, jumped, wheelied, rode sand dunes like a wildman on acid. Broke bones and ripped casts off and kept on ripping. Flipped off Middle aged and leather clad men on Harleys as I blew by in my pickup with my 450R in the back, headed for the mountains, desert or both. I was perfectly content with knobs. Satisfied. I was, a dirtbiker.

Then Yamaha came out with this God dammed bike.

I stayed up for hours at night, reading about it. Looking at pics, double checking the price cause it sure as hell had to be a misprint. Then, I found this site and spent many nights reading, never posting, just reading your experiences and reviews of this low priced hooligan machine.

and then today, go over to the local dealer just t sit on one, just to get a feel. Then, he asks me if i wanna take it for a spin. I don't even have an endorsement, haven't needed one. So, I rode it on their lot around the building 5-6 times. Ripped a wheelie in first, second gear. Second lap I ripped a wheelie in first, kept it up as I shifted into 2nd and held it, easy peasy. The salesman comes running out of the showroom, waving his arms but laughing. Tells me that if I do that again, he's taking my checkbook. I almost gave it to him right there.

At 48 years old, this bike makes absolutely no sense. It will surely lose my license for me, get me in all kinds of trouble with my wife. But, I'm hooked. I'm going back to the dealer this week with my 2011 CRF 450R and trading it in for an Orange FZ-09. God help me.

The first mod will be to call Seat Concepts. My nutts still hurt form that dammed FZ seat. Then, I'm dropping it off at my suspension guru and having the forks resprung and revalved. I do with with every dirtbike that i buy, sure as heck will do so in this case. Set my sag and then start saving for a rear shock upgrade.

I have a few questions.

1. Do any sportbike forks drop in stock? Something fully adjustable??
2. Does the bike have an ECU that can be shipped off to someone like Eddie Sisneros? Never mind, I'll call him and ask. If you have never heard of Eddie, I suggest googling his name, BTW.
3. Is there an HID kit for this bike yet?
4. Is there any way to turn that 3.7 tank into a 4.0 gallon?
5. Has anyone gotten verifiably laid on their FZ-09 yet? Bonus points if you got laid because of the bike.

I'm jumping in head first here. Lookout boys, Ole knobbie is coming thru!

·
Registered
365 Posts
1 stoltec has springs for the forks
2 stoltec or flash-tune.com for ecu
3 rabbitman109 has headlight kit
4 one member dremmeled filler neck and got .3 gallons extra. I believe
5 ohhhhhh yeeeah (the wife)

·
Registered
877 Posts
Back in the early 90's, after losing 5 people close to me and my only brother in separate motorcycle accidents, I sold my Suzuki Katana and swore that I would only ride dirt for the rest of my life. No more street bikes for me, too many idiots on the road. So, I rode two strokes and 450 fourstrokes for 20 years. Rode the piss outta them, jumped, wheelied, rode sand dunes like a wildman on acid. Broke bones and ripped casts off and kept on ripping. Flipped off Middle aged and leather clad men on Harleys as I blew by in my pickup with my 450R in the back, headed for the mountains, desert or both. I was perfectly content with knobs. Satisfied. I was, a dirtbiker.

Then Yamaha came out with this God dammed bike. ........ Aye, The Work of the Devil, for sure.

I stayed up for hours at night, reading about it. Looking at pics, double checking the price cause it sure as hell had to be a misprint. Then, I found this site and spent many nights reading, never posting, just reading your experiences and reviews of this low priced hooligan machine.

and then today, go over to the local dealer just t sit on one, just to get a feel. Then, he asks me if i wanna take it for a spin. I don't even have an endorsement, haven't needed one. So, I rode it on their lot around the building 5-6 times. Ripped a wheelie in first, second gear. Second lap I ripped a wheelie in first, kept it up as I shifted into 2nd and held it, easy peasy. The salesman comes running out of the showroom, waving his arms but laughing. Tells me that if I do that again, he's taking my checkbook. I almost gave it to him right there.

At 48 years old, this bike makes absolutely no sense. Makes less sense at 62 ( next week )

The old cliche: You don't stop riding getting old, so much as getting old by stop riding.

A friend of mine will be 80 in March and has a Ducati Monster S

He took 1 ride on my FZ 09 and went the fastest I've seen him go in the twisties.

Got video around, somewhere.

It will surely lose my license for me, get me in all kinds of trouble with my wife. But, I'm hooked. I'm going back to the dealer this week with my 2011 CRF 450R and trading it in for an Orange FZ-09. God help me.

The first mod will be to call Seat Concepts. My nutts still hurt form that dammed FZ seat. Then, I'm dropping it off at my suspension guru and having the forks resprung and revalved. I do with with every dirtbike that i buy, sure as heck will do so in this case. Set my sag and then start saving for a rear shock upgrade.

I have a few questions.

1. Do any sportbike forks drop in stock? Something fully adjustable?? Most sportbikes about 2 inches too short. Looking into Nekkid bikes I can use.
2. Does the bike have an ECU that can be shipped off to someone like Eddie Sisneros? Stoltec does.

Never mind, I'll call him and ask. If you have never heard of Eddie, I suggest googling his name, BTW.
3. Is there an HID kit for this bike yet?
4. Is there any way to turn that 3.7 tank into a 4.0 gallon?
5. Has anyone gotten verifiably laid on their FZ-09 yet? One thing Harley's are good for :cool:

Bonus points if you got laid because of the bike.

I'm jumping in head first here. Lookout boys, Ole knobbie is coming thru!
Go for it !

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Part of me wants to wait to see if they put this motor into a smaller adventure bike. Wait, no, screw that. It would make too much sense and they would probably only sell it in Europe.

It would make a great adventure motor though. Blasting down fire roads.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Go for it! She's waiting for you!

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My neighbor bought a Harley and is trying in vain to talk me into buying one. The dumbass thinks his Soft tail would be faster than an FZ-09. He thinks loud exhaust = HP. I hate Harleys. Biggest POS ever made. Slow, heavy and horribly designed bikes that simply do not hold together very well. Did I mention that I don't like Harleys?

Coming from a dirt background, I like light bikes. I can make a lighter bike do alot of things and man, this FZ-09 feels like a slightly heavier DRZ 400, with a big engine. Flickablity is a huge factor for me. Just on my lil jaunt around the dealer lot showed me how flickable this bike is. I will probably order some spoked wheels and some TKC dual sport tires and take my FZ on some long forest service roads this summer. The lightweight and soft suspension of this bike just dares me to. And it's also a good opportunity to absolutely rip the exhaust all to shet and give me a way to explain to the wife that I just have to replace it :nike: Oopsie!

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Yeah, some of my local twisties are in a county that gets tourists etc. Sad to see cars being held up by slow moving Harleys and cruisers. I don't mean a Miata club backed up behind the Hogs, I mean families coming home from church, pickups with horse trailers, lol.

And I've seen the Harleys crash at that speed too.... :(

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Harley guys die around here every year in the twisties. Idaho has some awesome twisties in the mountains, ten minutes outside of Boise you can go forever, we are blessed.

These guys my age who have never straddled a bike before watch Son's of Anarchy, go buy themselves the heaviest damn bike, and go riding up in the mountains with no helmets. They come to a corner too fast, the corner turns, they don't and end up in the trees or off a cliff. It's sad, but happens so often it's surprising when ya go three weeks without reading about it in the newspaper.

Those guys need good riding gear more than anyone, and are the one's who refuse to wear it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts